Shakespeare

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Shakespeare

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

Does anybody like Shakespeare? I am reading the Merchant of Venice in my English class and it is really BORING :ache:
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I like Shakespeare! He's seriously cool! Twelth Night is my favorite play of his. It's a lot of confusing identites, romance, and comedy!
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I love reading Shakespeare now.

If you find it boring and hard to read, try reading it out loud, as if you were all the actors rather then just a reader. I find it makes it much more interesting.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

I don't have an high opinion of Shakespeare. I think his comedies were very repetitive.
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

ShadowSa1nt wrote:Does anybody like Shakespeare?
Yes. Imo, he was brilliant, possibly the best storyteller of his era, and the fact that people are still reading his works and attending his plays well over 400 years later speaks to his talent.
Last edited by Jonathan on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I can find more exciting things to read. Shakespeare is very dry reading IMHO.
Last edited by Laurie on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
MAINE
I've been here a bit

Post by MAINE »

Laurie wrote:I can find more exciting things to read. Shakespeare is very dry reading IMHO.
I agree, I'll watch the movies of his plays and those are ok if you can understand them, but I'd rather read historical fiction any day. I have to read Shakespeare for school though.

Remember the Alamo!!!!
Remember 9/11

Join Campbell County Message Board - http://ccmb.forum-motion.com/forum.htm
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Shakespeare is like, the best writer in history. EVER.

I just finished reading Julius Caesar. Very sad, but it was still (an)epic. ;)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

StrongNChrist wrote:I love reading Shakespeare now.

If you find it boring and hard to read, try reading it out loud, as if you were all the actors rather then just a reader. I find it makes it much more interesting.
I got the audio version out of the library and that was a little more bearable. The background music is terrible. (Merchant of Venice) ](*,)
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Yes. Imo, he was brilliant, possibly the best storyteller of his era, and the fact that people are still reading his works and attending his plays well over 400 years later speaks to his talent.
The fact the people are reading his plays 400 years after only means some people think it is good.
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

MAINE wrote:
Laurie wrote:I can find more exciting things to read. Shakespeare is very dry reading IMHO.
I agree, I'll watch the movies of his plays and those are ok if you can understand them, but I'd rather read historical fiction any day. I have to read Shakespeare for school though.
Ditto. Shakespeare is like...boring. I have a book, I skimmed and and never opened it again.
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Shakespeare is amazing! Okay, so, I say I dont' understand, but after reading "HamleT" and "Romeo and Juliet", oh, and the funniest "Much Ado About Nothing", I like him a lot! I've seen "A MidSummer Nights Dream" in play form, and watched the movie for Romeo and Juliet (the one we watched, Romeo looked like Zac Efron... lol) and Much Ado About Nothing.

He's pretty cool!
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I think it'd be really cool to see a Shakespeare play. Or another classic one, like Pride and Prejudice for example. But back to the Bard. I've read Romeo and Juliet and Hamlet and Julius Caesar. I liked the last 2 the best I think, though they were all good. yes, there was a lot I didn't quite understand, but it was still good to read famous quotes (especially in Hamlet)
To be or not to be. That is the question. Whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune...that's all I can remember, but with a little help from AIO ;)

Till the end of the line.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Et tu, Brute? :o

Haha. I had to. \:D/
Last edited by Termite on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

He was a great writer, but I cant get into his plays. I went and saw Romeo and Julietat the local community theatre, as I love cheering on the people I know. Even though they did a really good job and its good, I about fell asleep a few times. Last year during A Midsummer Night's Dream, I really had a hard time and about fell asleep a few times

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
Sam15
Gold Member

Post by Sam15 »

I really have not read shakespear but I think It might get boaring because I really do not like poety.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Being a theatre person, I've read one or two of his plays. Hamlet and "That Scottish Play" ftw. Also Julius Caesar. :P
Last edited by jasonjannajerryjohn on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Nathan Baker wrote:I really have not read shakespear but I think It might get boaring because I really do not like poety.
It's not poetry, though. =P It's dialogue. You get to imagine everything, and it's all in the old style version of speech, so it's :inlove:
Love you always, SnC
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Termite wrote:
Nathan Baker wrote:I really have not read shakespear but I think It might get boaring because I really do not like poety.
It's not poetry, though. =P It's dialogue. You get to imagine everything, and it's all in the old style version of speech, so it's :inlove:
Some of it is poetry in the dialogue though. Many speeches and parts of plays have a format, with rhymes, specific # of lines.

But yeah, Nathan, he's not boring. Hamlet is really exciting, and Much Ado About Nothing is hysterical. He wrote of plays.

I'm kind of shocked you haven't encountered him yet. Even so, you probably will one day. Just in my 4 years of HS, I've read three plays, and glanced at many other plays of his. Shakespeare was a worker of art in words. :)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
Termite wrote:
Some of it is poetry in the dialogue though. Many speeches and parts of plays have a format, with rhymes, specific # of lines.

But yeah, Nathan, he's not boring. Hamlet is really exciting, and Much Ado About Nothing is hysterical. He wrote of plays.

I'm kind of shocked you haven't encountered him yet. Even so, you probably will one day. Just in my 4 years of HS, I've read three plays, and glanced at many other plays of his. Shakespeare was a worker of art in words. :)
Eh, true that... What I meant was that it's not just stanzas of pathetic, unrhyming lines that make no sense whatsoever. \:D/
I've read... :-k Seven of his plays, I think... The Merchent of Venice, Much Ado About Nothing, Julius Casear, The Tempest, Romeo and Juliet, The Taming of the Shrew, Othello, and I half-heartedly listened to Hamlet being read by my mother and sister. (and I didn't really understand MAaN when I was 12, so I guess I should read it again... :- )
Love you always, SnC