Lifting (weights)?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Lifting (weights)?

Post by Taq »

I've never been into weight training, but thanks to the advice of my brother I've been doing deadlifts once a week since late January. I signed up for a 5K race at the end of the month (March 27). Lifting for running? you ask. When I get tired, my stride length decreases (I take smaller steps). If I am stronger, I can keep my stride length where it is. If I cover more distance with my strides, I will reach the finish line faster. :)

Anyone here take part in weight training of any sort? Tell us about it!
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

One of my friends lifts weights every day, to my knowledge. He's also the strongest person I know.
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Weight training is very hazardous and gives you very low returns, instead of weights i'd recommend you do calisthenics such as push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups.

If you're looking for endurance try wind sprints, they helped me immensely by bringing down my 1.5 mile time from 12 minutes down to 10.

Weight training is very repetitive and boring, I don't mind doing repetitive things such as pull-ups because i'm always trying to do more....but as far as weight training goes, every time I try it I get bored so easy.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I haven't got a chance to get bored, as I'm adding weight each time and I'm not doing that many reps. ;)

Yeah, I've been doing sprints (e.g. 0.25 mi 4x or 0.5 mi 3x with minutes of rest in between) and have gotten noticeably faster. I'm glad to see sprints have yielded great returns for you Tyler. :)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to add that it's only hazardous if you don't know what you're doing. When first learning, I made sure to have an expert watch and coach me the first 5 or so times before I ventured it on my own and started adding weight. :)
Last edited by Taq on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Does lifting and carrying boxes around at work count? I do that every day.. :P
...I hate marquees.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I've been doing some calisthenics (push-ups, sit-ups) and stretches lately to supplement my half-marathon training. I've done some speed training too (mostly 400 meters), but I haven't been going completely all out. I should try that sometime.
CookieMonster
Me want cookies
Me want cookies
Location: Attempting to be like the mind of Jack Alan and Jesus Christ

Post by CookieMonster »

I have been doing a lot of running. What i like to do is pray while I run it helps keep me both physically and spiritually strong at the same time. I'm a long distance runner doing at least 7 miles a day.

I'm Connie Ks'. Online Cookie Monster :)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

NightRanger wrote:I have been doing a lot of running. What i like to do is pray while I run it helps keep me both physically and spiritually strong at the same time. I'm a long distance runner doing at least 7 miles a day.
I like to sing cadences about killing babies when I run. \:D/
SoccerLOTR
If posts were pigs...

Post by SoccerLOTR »

I've been working on building up both strength and endurance specifically for the last half-year and feel like I'm making very slow progress...any suggestions on how to make my workouts more effective? I only have time about 3-4 days a week to do anything intensive.
It was good knowing you StrongNChrist; you taught me a lot. I'll meet you someday for real in God's presence.

Which Jesus do you follow? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, why do you look so much like the world?~Todd Agnew

Do not be anxious about anything...~Phil 4:6-7

If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.~Tolkien

Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost.~J Adams

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.~B Franklin

I died and became a Roman Soldier--It was rather distracting.~Rory (Dr.Who)
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Calisthenics with continuous reps, don't take breaks.
WINDSHEAR
Name Eater

Post by WINDSHEAR »

I used to work out regularly, kinda slacked off lately due to being busy. I did it purely to raise my strength and to look more macho. ;)

I was able to gain 1 inch in my biceps size (from 13.5 to 14.5) in one month of regular workouts, prior to that it was more irregular, and much less remarkable gain. I was lifting a 45 pound bar (two handed), doing up to 40 reps, for 10 rounds, switching to 55 lbs 20 reps. 125 pounds on the bench, 15 reps or so.

Max I've done is a power curl of 110 pounds, benched 150. Keep in mind I'm a small guy, weighing about 135 pounds, 5 feet 10 inches tall.

At the moment for maintenance I'm doing a one handed 25lbs curl, for 15 reps. I typically do about 5 rounds.
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:27 AM): That long?!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:31 AM): IT WAS EONS AGO!
JIA (9/13/2008 10:54:33 AM): *falls over*
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:46 AM): I've already fallen over and died :noway:
WINDSHEAR (9/13/2008 10:54:47 AM): I beat you. :neener: