Was Whit easier to outrage in the older days?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Was Whit easier to outrage in the older days?

Post by The Top Crusader »

I've been listening to some older Hal Smith episodes, and Whit is like "HEY KID! I'M GOING TO THROW AWAY YOUR TOYS!" and he gets mad about things from time to time. Not just anger, either, but... I don't know, the older episodes maybe weren't trying to be as all-encompassing of different beliefs and he'd rant about things being Satanic and spiritual warefare. Which isn't really at all the same as him just... getting mad more often. ;) But I will combine the two topics.

But I really can't think of Paul Herlinger's Whit ever being particularly angry or outraged or anything. Certainly not as often.

Maybe I should've just called this thread "The differences between Hal Smith and Paul Herlinger's portrayal of Whit", but that'd be too easy. >_> And I suppose its more the writing than the acting really, anyway.
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Maybe he is mellowing in his old age. He's probably around a hundred now, isn't he?
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Bring back the righteous anger! :demonstration:
CookieMonster
Me want cookies
Me want cookies
Location: Attempting to be like the mind of Jack Alan and Jesus Christ

Post by CookieMonster »

I saw in your post that you mentioned Whit talking about spiritual warfare and other such topics.
I take by your post that the episode you listened to must have Castles and Cauldrons.
Now there is an extreme difference between RP's.
And playing with Satan, Lord considers even Rebellion to be witch craft.
And in the Castles and Cauldrons episode Jimmy's cousin was doing more then just rebelling against his parents; he was opening a spiritual doorway that would allow for satan to caome and control him.

So in answer Whit wasn't "easier to outrage" he was just concerned as person who cares about the wellbeing of the children.

Ephesians 6:12 (New Living Translation)
12 For we[a] are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

I'm Connie Ks'. Online Cookie Monster :)
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

If you thought Paul Herlinger didn't get angry enough, you're going to hate Andre Stojka.
CookieMonster
Me want cookies
Me want cookies

Post by CookieMonster »

I have actually been listening to Odyssey to since 1992.
The Year i was born and am seriously considering not listening any more since Paul herlingers passing.
Andre Stojka sounds to much like owl from Winnie the Pooh :p

Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

Maybe he is. Hal was Pooh
CookieMonster
Me want cookies
Me want cookies

Post by CookieMonster »

Thats true and will Ryan actually did a few Characters for them including Ti double G Er
That spells Tigger :D

ummm
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by ummm »

I have also noticed that "Hal Whit" could be uptight at times. However, I think "Hal Whit" had a lot of depth that added to the character.

I also agree that "Andre Whit" sounds like he could be the most laid back Whit yet. Time will tell. Hopefully we never have to hear "get out of the inspiration station...all of you! we're shutting down for the night. no lolly gagging! and no more ice cream in there. i am tired of cleaning chocolate handprints off the vid screen!"
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Odyessey0007 wrote:I have actually been listening to Odyssey to since 1992.
The Year i was born and am seriously considering not listening any more since Paul herlingers passing.
Andre Stojka sounds to much like owl from Winnie the Pooh :p
I'm as old as Odyssey (we were both born in November 1987), and I plan to keep listening! 8-)
CookieMonster
Me want cookies
Me want cookies

Post by CookieMonster »

Thats Awesome. I think i'll still listen and its kind of a dream job but i would like to be a voice actor for them someday or work on some part of the show.

JoyElectric
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by JoyElectric »

Funny how things change. 10 years ago the question was "Is Whit too gruff and mean these days?" Mr. Hoobler even suggested it way back when:

http://www.aiohq.com/articles/fandom.htm

I do remember an early episode where kids were mopey and whiny around Whit's End. His suggestion? "Let's gets some drinks in these kids, see if we can put some life into them!" (I won't lie, it's far funnier out of context). Hal just had a rougher voice, I think that's probably the biggest difference.
Jimmy Barclay Fan
Classic

Post by Jimmy Barclay Fan »

Whit got Really mad in A Member of the Family. Remember how mad he got at Monty when he was rebelling and playing music too loud. HE also had some words with Jana. That was Family Portraits, really early in the series.

I am a big fan of AIO, but I am not Jave Griffin or have ever been on AIO. I am just a huge fan of AIO and Jimmy Barclay. I love Odyssey, and Jimmy rules.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

JoyElectric wrote:Funny how things change. 10 years ago the question was "Is Whit too gruff and mean these days?" Mr. Hoobler even suggested it way back when:

http://www.aiohq.com/articles/fandom.htm
Thanks for bringing this article up in a timely manner, JoyElectric! I remember reading it years ago; it is funny how things change.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I think Whit is turning into too much of teddy bear/ push over and if AIO were real Kids would start treating him differently.

Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

Boswell wrote:If you thought Paul Herlinger didn't get angry enough, you're going to hate Andre Stojka.
You're right. :(

Imagine Hal Smith talking to/about Matthew Parker the way Andre did. :noway: He did get upset with Eugene, though.

Jeremy
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I think back then, in the early days of AIO, they were trying to portray Whit as a normal person, with normal feelings-anger being one of them. And after that was established, I think they settled the matter, and life was good. I loved Hal as Whit, and I liked Paul Herlinger too. I'm still getting used to Andre...I haven't completely warmed up to him yet.

Till the end of the line.
Galaxy X
The Legend
The Legend

Post by Galaxy X »

Yeah he sounds like Bernard.
Mandy Straussberg
Animatronic

Post by Mandy Straussberg »

The Top Crusader wrote:I've been listening to some older Hal Smith episodes, and Whit is like "HEY KID! I'M GOING TO THROW AWAY YOUR TOYS!" and he gets mad about things from time to time. Not just anger, either, but... I don't know, the older episodes maybe weren't trying to be as all-encompassing of different beliefs and he'd rant about things being Satanic and spiritual warefare. Which isn't really at all the same as him just... getting mad more often. ;) But I will combine the two topics.

But I really can't think of Paul Herlinger's Whit ever being particularly angry or outraged or anything. Certainly not as often.

Maybe I should've just called this thread "The differences between Hal Smith and Paul Herlinger's portrayal of Whit", but that'd be too easy. >_> And I suppose its more the writing than the acting really, anyway.
I've been listening to the SUPER old episodes (my Odyssey USA's especially) recently too and actually had the same thought go through my head. I just chalked it up to him (Whit as a character, that is) being older now and more patient.

Mandy
Music is my life. God's given me gifts, and I like to use them.
Spirit now lead me, take me where You will
I long to adore You, reveal Yourself to me
My cry is to please You, so have Your way in me
Completely to bring glory to Your Name
odysseyfan1
Classic

Post by odysseyfan1 »

Yes, he was easier to outrage.