Olympics! Vancouver, BC, Canada

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I enjoy watching a variety of winter sports at the highest level, seeing countries and individuals contend for medals, and hearing the remarkable stories of athletes from all over the world, their trials and triumphs. I wasn't waiting with bated breath or anything, but yes, I'm excited the Olympics are here!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Just about 10 hours from the start of the opening ceremony! \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

And I won't be here for the beginning of it. :(

That's ok. It gets repetitive watching them all march in... Aside from the African teams. Then you just have to cheer for those one or two people. \:D/
Last edited by Termite on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

10 hours? 12 hours for me... and I'm in the timezone its happening in. 8) At least NBC says it starts at 7:30 PM. Hmm... How is it ET can have it start at 7:30 PM, and 3 hours later PT can have it start at 7:30 PM... and still have it be in real time? (Oh... now I get why timezones are so confusing) Oh well, the Olympics just start at 4:30 PT! LOL...

YEAH!

I hope I make it home in time...

(Now it says 6:00 PM... still, how does that work? I swear Vancouver is in PT. I just... darn...)

LOL... they're already having one event at 10 this morning... nice...

-- February 12th, 2010, 7:32 am --

http://www.nbcolympics.com/event-result ... index.html List for every event and when it happens...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I have to work tonight, or else I would be watching the opening ceremonies. My brother has been loudly cheering during every Olympic ad for the past week, so my eardrums are probably grateful to miss seeing Canada's athletes enter tonight! I'm sure the volume in Vancouver will be incredible, but it will be pretty loud at home, too! ;) I wore my new Canada Olympic sweater in honour of the start of the Olympics, however! \:D/
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Cool, the Olympics are in Canada this year?
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Some sled guy died. :(
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Did he actually die? Last we heard he was in a coma. :-k

EDIT: Oh man, that really stinks...
Last edited by Termite on Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Indeed. What a tragic start...
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

After seeing some coverage, I keep thinking of AIO though.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

The Top Crusader wrote:Some sled guy died. :(
And a female luger was knocked unconscious. :(

I watched some minutes of the NBC Olympic coverage and I'm already becoming familiar with some of the stories, like the one female snowboarder who 4 years ago was impossibly far in the lead; she showboated on a jump and fell, getting silver instead of gold. Well, she's back and seems to have a great attitude!
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I have watched since 6:30 but have gotten tired of watching.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I had to work tonight, but I made it home in time to see the finale, with the big Olympic flame being lit both in and outside of the stadium! We love you, Wayne Gretzky! \:D/ The highlight clips that I saw at the end of the event were really great - I'm sorry that I missed seeing more of it, though watching all of it would have been a tad tedious. ;)

It is really sad about the luge guy from Georgia. Apparently he was quite inexperienced and probably never should have been sent. The video that I saw on the news was a little disturbing, to say the least. Very tragic.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yeah, he was only 21 or something...

Who else thought the "moving floor" was epic? \:D/
Love you always, SnC
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Too bad the fourth flame thingie wouldn't rise up out of the floor. :- I bet everyone was panicking.

According to my newspaper's TV schedule, there was supposed to be ski jumping last night - but the opening ceremony took up all the time. :-k Did I miss something?
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

I thought the walk through of Canada was great. I forgey what they called them but I really liked the wind one and the mountian one.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I remember one year someone skiied down a mountain and fired a flaming arrow to light the torch. \:D/
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

I liked the fiddler who had the punk mohawk and tribal tatoos!!\:D/

Yeah, and I fell asleep right before the Olympic Torch lighting so I missed it. :(
Last edited by Dr. Watson on Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

I loved the opening ceremony!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> The moving floor and the torch. Awesome!
The poet guy that got to recite because of youtube :lol:

I will be watching hockey curling and skiing probably or i would like to anyway. :pray:
I am learning to curl in my phys ed class so it will be good to watch
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

I'm looking forward to speed skating and figure skating the most. The opening ceremony was pretty cool, especially the part where the ice "broke apart". \:D/ And I really liked the torch lighting, although it was kind of funny that one of the pillars refused to go up.

The story about the Georgian luger is so sad! :( And now with the Romanian luger being knocked unconscious...I wonder if they might discontinue the luge for the rest of the Olympics?
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*