Olympics! Vancouver, BC, Canada

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Trixie Belden wrote:I have a post written about the Olympics on my blog! My favorite sport of all time is bobsledding, although I have no clue why. Canada has done a nice job so far, although their opening ceremony was nothing like the one China had. I guess they just went to the limit. How do you follow something like that?
Dude, while Canada's slightly had a boring side to it, China's wasn't that great itself... And not to mention, it was a summer Olympics. This is a winter Olympics.

Plus I'm just so excited I'm only 300 miles away... lol! I just don't think I'll be getting up there any time soon... school and all.

To be honest, Canada is getting a bad reputation this time around. Its kind of an unrealizable thing, but its true. *shrug* Russia better pull something off fast in the next 4 years to do better. But I have high hopes for them.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHYES HE DID!!!!!! \:D/ \:D/

OHNO!!!!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEE!!!! Hee-hee, I was literally shaking and almost hyperventilating after the semi final. I can't believe he skated like he did.... I wanted to throw a skate at him! Hahaha. Ah well... I'm so glad Hemlin knocked the one Korean out. Just poor Celski! :( He totally did NOTHING to the Latvian and shouldn't have been DQed even after not making the qualifications. What a way to end the night.

But OHNOOOO!!!! \:D/ USA! USA! USA! Wahoo!!

:anxious: No, I'm not excited...

Did y'all hear that Lindsey Vonn used Bode Miller's old skiis for the Super G? :lol: That's a hoot. Poor girl just missed out... Mancuso, wow. She was rubbish, unfortunately. :( And two bobsleds flipped over, though both drivers were able to eject themselves and avoid injury. The brakemen were also fine, though they both hung on. I guess cause they're already down and the bobsled is taller than how far their baks come up... *shrugs*

And I'm totally folding up a red bandana like Ohno does and wearing it to church tomorrow. \:D/ But did anyone see Bonny Blair's face? She looked none too happy... And Michael Phelps was there, too!

Out of curiosity, is anyone else going to cry when Ohno officially announces his retirement? I was almost in tears thinking about it earlier right after the race... :mecry:
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Bonnie Blair was there? Wow... she must be annoyed. But I don't see why... lol. Ohno an retirement? Meh... just like Phelps won't go past age 30. Athletes come and go.

I missed it... all of it... I'm soo mad. But my class called me... lol.

What did Ohno do? I might need to watch this... lol.

I can't wait for tomorrow though! The next part in Compulsory dancing. :) Even if the team I so badly want to win is second to last... I can't remember what the name of the next part was. They can rock it though! One American, one Georgian. :)

I'm afraid bobsled is going to lead to the 2nd death... :/ Holy moly. Someone take a hint! The track is too fast!
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
Trixie Belden wrote:I have a post written about the Olympics on my blog! My favorite sport of all time is bobsledding, although I have no clue why. Canada has done a nice job so far, although their opening ceremony was nothing like the one China had. I guess they just went to the limit. How do you follow something like that?
Dude, while Canada's slightly had a boring side to it, China's wasn't that great itself... And not to mention, it was a summer Olympics. This is a winter Olympics.

Plus I'm just so excited I'm only 300 miles away... lol! I just don't think I'll be getting up there any time soon... school and all.

To be honest, Canada is getting a bad reputation this time around. Its kind of an unrealizable thing, but its true. *shrug* Russia better pull something off fast in the next 4 years to do better. But I have high hopes for them.
Well, I just meant that China had all that stuff with the drums and the light dancing, and it was pretty much incredible. It wasn't so incredible for the people who had to work the event, but hey, they're just cheap Chinese labor! So who cares about them?

;)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:What did Ohno do? I might need to watch this... lol.

I can't wait for tomorrow though! The next part in Compulsory dancing. :) Even if the team I so badly want to win is second to last... I can't remember what the name of the next part was. They can rock it though! One American, one Georgian. :)
He waited until thre were only 2 laps to go to get into a qualifying position, and even then he was third until the last half lap just about. >_> It was really scary.

I know!! \:D/ I love the dancing. All the ice skating stuff like that ranks up high on my list of favorite Olympic games. (short track being at the top. ;) )
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

And America has beaten Canada at hockey!!! YES!

Sorry to all of you Canadians :(.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Iron and Light wrote:And America has beaten Canada at hockey!!! YES!

#@$!%$#@
:x :x :x

...that wrecked my day. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

Jelly wrote:

#@$!%$#@

We're going to get invaded now, aren't we?
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

Jelly wrote:

#@$!%$#@

*agrees with Jelly*
I and L :twat:
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

BOOOOO to all you Canadians :x.

Americans rule :noway:.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

OH YEAH!!!!! I WAS SO EXCITED!

LOL, I wonder if you guys are all annoyed that she said it... or that you hadn't known. lol. MSN friends.. MSN.

And I'm down in the dumps... NBC won't give me my Ice Dancing. They showed me an American pair, and went on to Ski Cross... :(

Allison and Otar... gah, no! Me see, please! They got like, 19th anyway... one up from yesterday.

And yeah Bode Miller!!!!!!!!!!!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I was almost crying after seeing Bode win gold! \:D/ I was sooo happy for him. BODEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ski cross was EPIC. The story about Chri del Bosco, or whatever his name was, was really sweet. He went from being a drug addict and alcoholic and near death to where he is now. Unfortunately, he crashed while fighting for more than bronze. (he could've gotten silver too) But also, like Ohno, he said he has no regrets. He didn't want to settle for bronze and gave it his best shot, even though if ended with him not even finishing the race.

The pairs were all really cool, too. \:D/ But the Russians... :noway:

And apparently in Korea, "Ohno" is used in a derogatory manner. :-k That's kind of rude, if you ask me. Though I did ignore what was said in the paper and wear a red bandana to church this morning to commemorate Ohno's record. \:D/ Only one person (out of three) automatically realized what it was for without prompting. :( Also, guess what... I literally just learned last night that Apolo's last name is literally Ohno. I thought it was a nickname for "Oh no, here he comes!!" Stupid, huh? :lol:
Love you always, SnC
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Termite wrote:I was almost crying after seeing Bode win gold! \:D/ I was sooo happy for him. BODEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ski cross was EPIC. The story about Chri del Bosco, or whatever his name was, was really sweet. He went from being a drug addict and alcoholic and near death to where he is now. Unfortunately, he crashed while fighting for more than bronze. (he could've gotten silver too) But also, like Ohno, he said he has no regrets. He didn't want to settle for bronze and gave it his best shot, even though if ended with him not even finishing the race.

The pairs were all really cool, too. \:D/ But the Russians... :noway:

And apparently in Korea, "Ohno" is used in a derogatory manner. :-k That's kind of rude, if you ask me. Though I did ignore what was said in the paper and wear a red bandana to church this morning to commemorate Ohno's record. \:D/ Only one person (out of three) automatically realized what it was for without prompting. :( Also, guess what... I literally just learned last night that Apolo's last name is literally Ohno. I thought it was a nickname for "Oh no, here he comes!!" Stupid, huh? :lol:
:P

Ohno as derogatory? Ugh... on-going saga in the Short Track history here.. they aren't going to let go of what happened for the next.. oh, 4 years. :P Yeah, Russia...

The Russians were... gah. I don't like them to be honest... and what they were wearing???

I'm glad USA won.. but right in the middle of the first bobsledding that I got to see, they switch over to show us the last 50 seconds or so of the hockey game... and then drag on the coverage. :( Maybe the only Whistler track I'll see this Olympics is Armin Zoeggler getting Bronze in luge... :/ That was fun though. My mom was excited! :P
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

O:) :-

Yepp. He said in an interview that the Korean in the race where the other two crashed was very gracious to him after the race and then made some not very nice comments. I will say, it makes for a good saga. xD

Aborgines? :-k I still don't get it myself... Apparently they were "imitating" the native's attire, but I'd say they missed the mark. ;)
Love you always, SnC
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

*dances around happily* \:D/ Haha, I am SO excited about the USA beating Canada in hockey! That was the most nerve-wracking, intense game I've ever seen! :mad:
Catspaw wrote:You at least have to watch hockey - I would hate for you to miss watching Canada's glorious upcoming victories in both mens and womens hockey! That would be a real shame. :(
Last night in the third period, I told Watson that if USA ended up winning this game, I'd have to come gloat about it to Catspaw. O:)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

Go USA \:D/
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Catspaw wrote:You at least have to watch hockey - I would hate for you to miss watching Canada's glorious upcoming victories in both mens and womens hockey! That would be a real shame. :(
Last night in the third period, I told Watson that if USA ended up winning this game, I'd have to come gloat about it to Catspaw. O:)
Last night I went to a church thing with my sister instead of watching the game, and when I heard the score, I was glad that I didn't have to witness it! :sniff: But the good news for Canada is that these games don't make much of a difference, and of course we will win all of our games from this point on! Or else I will cry and then blame Laura! :x

I missed watching the ice dancing live last night, but I got to see the amazing Canadian performance that sent them to first place! :D Tonight the ice dancing medals will be determined, and I plan to watch what should be some incredible skating!
aussie aio fan
OK
Post by aussie aio fan »

Termite wrote:
Aborgines? :-k I still don't get it myself... Apparently they were "imitating" the native's attire, but I'd say they missed the mark. ;)
It was imitating the Australian Aborigine's attire.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Aboriginals, guys... Aboriginals. Worst and Best... lol

:/ Yeah, Ice Dancing... while kinda interesting, deflates me at times... not enough goes for the underdogs. Seriously. The Olympics was never about the best athlete in the world... it was about the underdogs. Then the rules broke and this is what we got. I'm just kinda neutral with the Russians getting 3rd... Canadians won! Wicked cool! :/ Okay, sorta.

Today's been a bad day for me... 22 and 12 are... bad numbers. That is why 15 is my fav. lol.

Tomorrow is a new day. :) I'm hoping to see something good come from Ladies Free Skate. :)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Haha, yeah. :- I can never remember the name.

But I still can't believe how the Canadian ice dance team got so many more points than the Americans. :-s Meryl and Charlie skated with such passion and intensity, something that was lacking in the Canadian's... Ah well. I'm pretty annoyed that the Russians medaled, though. With the way they were cheating with the ropes attached to her costume? :noway: There's no way they deserved it. It was a guilty pleasure to see them looking not too happy with the bronze. :-
Love you always, SnC