Focus Super Bowl Ad (Tim Tebow)

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Focus Super Bowl Ad (Tim Tebow)

Post by Taq »

Click the following link and then click "Watch the Tebow Spots" (fourth block down on the right column) to view:

http://www.focusonthefamily.com/nsc/box ... er_bowl_ad

Focus' Super Bowl ad got quite a bit of press before it even aired. Now that it's aired, one online news source called it "surprisingly not controversial." Your thoughts?

P.S. I don't see a specific thread for the actual Super Bowl yet, but I'm not going to create one since I don't really care. :P
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

It aired? (wait... I must have missed that in the last 30 minutes) I watched it... I understand why it wasn't controversial now. Unless you know who Tim Tebow is and his story, yeah, the commercial meant nothing. There must have been something that fueled the press before... It was basically just a... lame commercial? It had nothing to do with pro-life... (watch before you bash me please.)
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

The commercial had a call to action at the end to visit Focus on the Family's site to hear the story. Very effective thing for a ministry to do, especially during Super Bowl time. I'd say the commercial was making a very big statement, that life is valuable, sacred, important. And getting people to the website to hear the detailed account of Tim Tebow was good.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

That is a commercial? That was boring...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

LOL Yeah, that was pretty boring. The abortion groups try to stop this ad? ;) Good job to Focus on the Family for getting the word out about themselves and life, though! (Love the music; Will Ryan? ;))
Last edited by American Eagle on Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

When I saw it, I was like "That's all?" o_O
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Yeah, I think it was the 2nd commercial actually. I was impressed. I liked watching the link to learn more about the story. The ad wasn't controversial at all... It did get focus on the family out there though. =]
I do what I do.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Here's both versions of it.

I watched various news programs discussing it and they made it sound like they purchased two slots; 1st and 3rd quarter and the latter could be cut at CBS' discretion. It was surprisingly uncontroversial, yet it didn't play in the third quarter. Did I just miss the second airing?

It seems to me, that after hearing all the hype before the super bowl, they took out the line "everybody treats him like he's different, but to me, he's just my baby" and replaced it with a cheap "punchline", just the opposite of what they should have done. It's cool that they got the message out, but, in this economy, I think CBS would have still aired something a lot less generic. (including the word abortion, perhaps) I think most people either love or hate Focus on the Family, so there's not much harm in doing more radical campaigns in order to really cause a stir.

P.S.- The best commercial was definitely the one by the census bureau. :lol: (which, is really pretty pathetic, when you think about it :wink:)
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Actually, two commercials by focus DID air. One in the pre-game show and the other during the first commercial break after kick off. :)

I thought they did a great job with it. I'm fairly certain CBS would not have aired something with abortion in it as they(?) issued a statement saying that commercials for the super bowl must not be controversial - or something o that effect. Though I must admit I laughed when I heard that considering some of the commercials they did air...

my favs - don't touch my momma and the funeral doritos, letterman with opera, and a couple of the NCIS commercials. Also loved the only Clydesdale commercial to air. it was cute.
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Oh... What I saw was the FOTF discussion about the commercial(s). The commercials themselves were OK. I had to find them somewhere on MSNBC I think. I couldn't understand FOTF's own site about watching the 30-second spots.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

LOL... I'm still wondering how focus came up with the 2.5 million to air the commercial... and if they aired two, wow... that's big bucks.

Yeah, I guess I missed both the commercials. I was driving and then missed kick off... meh.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I liked the Leno and basically all the Dorito ones! \:D/

Oh, and Favre MVP 2020.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Jacob Isom wrote:The commercial had a call to action at the end to visit Focus on the Family's site to hear the story. Very effective thing for a ministry to do, especially during Super Bowl time. I'd say the commercial was making a very big statement, that life is valuable, sacred, important. And getting people to the website to hear the detailed account of Tim Tebow was good.
I completely agree. The people that visited the FOTF site not only learned a little more about Tebow, they also might have been introduced to resources that could actually help their families. :o The organizations that vehemently opposed the Tebow commercial before it aired now look foolish in my estimation.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:LOL... I'm still wondering how focus came up with the 2.5 million to air the commercial... and if they aired two, wow... that's big bucks.
I watched a video blurb on the Focus website that said the money for the Tebow commercials came from a few very large donors and not the regular Focus on the Family budget.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Taq wrote:The organizations that vehemently opposed the Tebow commercial before it aired now look foolish in my estimation.
Yeah, I agree.

Seriously, the people that were offended when they actually SAW the commercial need to have their heads examined. ;) It's not even a strong pro-life statement. :-s It's just... a woman talking about how her pregnancy was complicated.

And some people are saying that it promotes violence against women? :-s They should really be criticizing the Snickers ad that had football players tackling a lady that looked about eighty years old. ;) At least in the Tebow ad it was obvious to anyone above the age of four that it was computer generated. ;)

People make huge controversies out of the most stupid things... :|
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Pseudonym wrote:They should really be criticizing the Snickers ad that had football players tackling a lady that looked about eighty years old. At least in the Tebow ad it was obvious to anyone above the age of four that it was computer generated.
Um, that "lady" was Betty White and she had a stunt double. Wow, I feel old. :wink:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

No, really? I thought they actually tackled an old woman on television! :shock: Stunt doubles, what will they think of next? ;) (Maybe I should've made it clear that I knew they didn't actually tackle anybody, lest I sound as bad as that guy complaining about women's violence. ;))
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Telling Mom "I love you too" is now violence! Horrors!
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Yeah, we talked about this in a class and the commercial was sooo generic that I think the hype was very unnecessary. I think it probably received more hype because some were mad that the a very right winged conservative message was allowed to air while a homosexual dating service commercial was not allowed to air. Correct me if I'm wrong but Focus was very general and people were definitely overreacting.
I do what I do.