"New Super Mario Bros. Wii"

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.

Have you played New Super Mario Bros. Wii?

Yes. :yes:
43%
No. :noway:
14%
No, but I'd like to! \:D/
36%
Of course, I'm Top. :slapfish:
7%

Total votes: 14

Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

"New Super Mario Bros. Wii"

Post by Irwin »

I rarely create Harlequin threads, but lately I've experienced the awesomeness of New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and I have to share.

Although I had previously never played any mainstream Mario games except Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3, when I first saw a commercial for the new wii game at the start of December, I thought, yay that looks like a revamp of the original SMB. \:D/

I received the game for Christmas, and after playing 1-1, I thought hooray this is awesome! About a week ago I managed to finish getting through all eight (or so I though) worlds. But then
"world nine" popped up and I realized that to gain the right to play any of the levels within it you have to collect all of the star coins in each world, which takes a lot of work. (Currently I've collected all of the star coins in worlds 1, 2, 3, and 6, and I'm almost done with the others.)

Game improvements:
  • New power-ups including a penguin suit and a propeller hat
  • Giant bullet bills
  • Wall jumping - which I think pokes fun at the hard wall jumping glitch in the original game
  • A warp zone in every world
Game "disimprovements":
  • "Super guide" allows player to let the computer player (Luigi) play the level for them and then skip it afterwards. In my opinion, this is a horrible idea; the challenge of Mario is actually trying to beat each level.
  • When getting squished between two surfaces, it triggers an automatic death, even with a starman. :mad:
Has anyone else "experienced the awesomeness"? \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I have experienced the awesomeness that Irwin has shared with you all! \:D/ I have finished the first four worlds and have started the fifth one, and I just got hooked a week ago. My brother is the gamer in the family and he bought it. Like you, Irwin, he finished the 8 worlds, only to discover that he needed to go get a lot of coins to play world 9! He's got all of them for world 1 and most for world 2 - he was just actually working on that earlier tonight. I helped him get some. \:D/ (But he is way, way better than me.) ;) I have benefited from some help. This game reminds me of Super Nintendo and I love it because of that, but I have some of the same struggles that I did there, namely with the boss fights, which I continue to be quite bad at. ;) My brother has done a few of those for me, after I get ticked off at dying yet again. ;)

The penguin suit is quite fun, and Mario looks really cute when he dives underwater with it on! I agree that the Super Guide is annoying - I hate that dinging noise it makes, and the couple of times that I've watched it, it's been useless because it isn't that I can't figure out how it should be done - I just kept messing it up time after time!

Overall, a really fun game that I have loved to play and watch other people play so far! Plus the coin battle and free for all (with up to 4 players) can be really fun too.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I voted "Of course, I'm Top!" \:D/

Although I've only had limited time with it at friends' house. It's pretty fun, brings back the feel of the NES games with a touch of Super Mario World (the giant Bullet Bills showed up there first, many many years ago ;)).

I really hope they stick with the classic concept and make some sequels. I could never get into any of the 3D Mario games.

However I think it needs a better name than "New Super Mario Bros. Wii" For one thing, its stupid to have "New" in the title. ;) Since obviously it won't be new forever. ;) The DS game with that title is a few years old now, afterall. I wish they'd just used Super Mario Bros. 4 or 5 or whatever (we never had SMB4 in the US and I assume Canada, but in Japan Super Mario World was subtitled Super Mario Bros. 4, so...). But really, the name is hardly material... its a really fun game. \:D/
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I am a huge Mario fan and am tempted to buy the NES just to have the 3 original games. I also played for the n64 which took a long time to beat. I really want to play the new Wii version though. I remember playing Super Mario Sunshine for the Game Cube when I was like 12 and thought it was sort of fun.... One of my friends has the game on who's on my floor. hmmm. I'm gonna have to ask him if I can play. Top, you've sparked my interest. =]
I do what I do.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Our family received this game (and a Wii, haha) for Christmas and we love it! We have three controllers (or remotes or whatever you call them!) and all 5 kids playing together built camaraderie amongst us. We beat the game and got everything including World 9 and the trio of coins in each level in the first week or two. I've hardly touched the Wii since, but last week the littlest bro and I beat Bowser + aftermath together! The propeller suits are amazing, especially in the very last segment of Bowser's castle.
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I just found out that my friend actually has Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii... I'm still gonna play it but I want to play the new Super Mario Bros. Ahh, oh well.
I do what I do.
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

I really want to play this but I can't drive yet so I never get out of the house to go and buy it. It sounds awesome though.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I just realized that you can ground pound (jump up and then press down) the question marks to get items, instead of just jumping and hitting them underneath with your head the usual way. Helpful!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Did you figure that out from the star coin videos? That's where I first saw it, courtesy of watching my brother play. So far he has everything except 9-8 - he's still short a few star coins, but he does have the secret level (8-7) finished. I'm somewhere early on in world 6. Now that it's harder (and there are Olympics to watch!) I'm less motivated to play, but I enjoy watching my brother play and helping him look for star coins and stuff. I think it's really cute when Mario says, "Secret!" at the end of a secret ending. :inlove:
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Nah, I figured that out by watching others play, though I have seen a number of the star coin videos. Some of them are hilarious, especially the infinite 1-up demonstrations.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Wow, how did I miss this topic, I recently got it and it's AWESOME :) my favorite multi-player game on the Wii I've beat it with other people world 1-8 and now working on collecting coins to go through world 9 and on my own single player file I've gone through worlds 1-6 only missing a few coins. I want to try and beat it completely before May so I can go at Galaxy 2 when it comes out
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime