Parker Family

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Samitude
Pilgrim

Parker Family

Post by Samitude »

Well, I suppose that most of you have seen the podcast where they introduce the Parker family to us. I am curious. Is the little cartoon girl at the top of the Whit's End audio page supposed to be Camilla Parker? I think they said she's supposed to be eight years old and likes to run track. The little actress who plays Camilla is oriental. The cartoon character kind of looks oriental. Is Camilla supposed to be adopted? They told us that the mom is supposed be hispanic, but the actress doesn't look hispanic. Is this little girl supposed to be oriental on the show or not? I just like to imagine how the characters look and I want to get an accurate picture in my head. By the way, every time I hear the name Camilla Parker I automatically think Camilla Parker-Bowles!
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

Obviously, the actress's ethnicity is not related to the character's ethnicity. If Mr. Parker is white and Mrs. Parker is Hispanic, then Camilla and her siblings would be mixed.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

H Tide wrote:Obviously, the actress's ethnicity is not related to the character's ethnicity. If Mr. Parker is white and Mrs. Parker is Hispanic, then Camilla and her siblings would be mixed.
Oh, I realise that. I just didn't know if she was supposed to be adopted.
H Tide
Sing in the sunshine

Post by H Tide »

I agree, she does look different from her siblings, according to the drawing, but I think she resembles her mother. ;)
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I too think that she looks like her mother. I do think it would be a good idea though, to have an adopted kid on Odyssey. The closest we've gotten would be Eugene and Kelly. I'm interested to see if they'll do anything like that in the future.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I concur with H Tide. Camilla is Hispanic/Caucasian while the actress Sydney Shiotani is of Asian descent. Filipina? I googled it once... but her official site takes too long to load due to the myriad of pictures and the only youtube result was of her attempting The Star Spangled Banner when she was two.
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

I have finally seen the cartoon picture of the whole family and it does look like all three children are Hispanic/Caucasian. I think they just used an oriental actress to play the part. There, now I can try to get the whole famly pictured in my head.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I saw that, too. But with a name like Camilla, it's not surprising that she looks as though she is of Hispanic descent.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

Wasn't Nick adopted?
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

True. I don't know if he was really adopted though, or if he just lived with the Mulligans. But all of the other kids were. Whatever happened to Jessica and Janelle's mother? Did she die in the hospital or something?
Felicity Blackgaard
I'm not Gabe

Post by Felicity Blackgaard »

I really like the Parker family! I finally got my copy of album 51 and I was skeptical at first...

It's rather nice to hear a Mexican/American family for once in the show. It made me connect more with my roots and with the new family. (I'm Mexican/Native American) And Eva is certainly a Mexican woman and mother. She reminds me of my mom.
aiofan
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by aiofan »

Shiotani is a Japanese last name. So, at least some of her heritage should be Japanese. :)

And I had to comment on the term "oriental"... I realize that historically it wasn't an offensive term, but currently I find it so, and many others do as well... A better phrase would be, "Asian" or "Asian American", etc. It's just that the term "oriental" is a word used for things not people. If you want to learn more about it, here's a link that goes more in depth. http://journalism.nyu.edu/pubzone/livew ... or_people/
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I really like the Parker family. The seem like a good Christian family. They almost remind me of the Barclays. I like the Spanish heritage they have. Matthew reminds me of Eugene in some ways. I like the girls too. The mom and dad are great parents. The only downside it the way Eva pronounce her name.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Sapphire wrote:The only downside it the way Eva pronounce her name.
Her name is pronounced phonetically in Spanish. Isn't she of Hispanic descent?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

Yes, I believe that is what they said on the video podcast.
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
Joanne
Happy Flower
Happy Flower

Post by Joanne »

I think the Parker family is good... but could be better.

Did anyone think Camilla sounded older than Olivia? When I first heard her I was confused, after hearing more though I am really starting to like her. :)

To me the parents seem to perfect, but I guess we will see if they really are in future episodes.

Over all the Parkers are a nice new addition to Odyssey, especially 'cause they have three kids!!! :)
~*~StrongNChrist, November 22, 1991- March, 25th, 2011~*~
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

I will be completely honest. I don't really like the Parker family because their kids seem to not be very well behaved & occasionally rude to their friends & parents.
I also have found Olivia to be a whiny sort of girl. Matthew is a quiet, well behaved sort of child, but Camilla seems like (as the youngest) she is a bit spoiled.
*insert provocative quote here*
EMBEE
I've been working out
Location: Where is here? The last time I checked it was the same place as usual.

Post by EMBEE »

IDANCE4JESUS wrote:I will be completely honest. I don't really like the Parker family because their kids seem to not be very well behaved & occasionally rude to their friends & parents.
You mean you don't like them because they are normal?
Thanks to my Secret Santa for the set!
Macy's Corner | My Tumblr | Deviant Art
Eight Muppety Notes: Tumblr | Twitter
Official Term 17 moderator
She left many of us behind. She left us heartbroken. And though we cry now there'll come a time when we'll laugh. Because we'll see her again someday. We'll be with her in heaven. And when we go to heaven she'll be there to greet us. She'll be there to say "Welcome home." -From a poem that SnC wrote about her grandmother
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

EMBEE wrote:
IDANCE4JESUS wrote:I will be completely honest. I don't really like the Parker family because their kids seem to not be very well behaved & occasionally rude to their friends & parents.
Good call EMBEE. ;)
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
Musical Shutterbug
Film Score Addict
Film Score Addict

Post by Musical Shutterbug »

EMBEE wrote:
Hahaha...I know exactly what you mean, but what I mean is that (compared to all of the past children in Odyssey) they are too modern.
Sorry, but sometimes I just find their kids annoying. :(
*insert provocative quote here*