The Pact

Gives a general year to how many years have passed in Odyssey

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

The Pact

Post by Dallas R. »

I just listened to "the pact", and in it Tom says that it was ten years ago from the episode that he took Agnes to Hillingdale. If that's true, and since she hadn't gone to Hillingdale yet in Thank you god, that means that at least ten years have past over the years of the show since the time of "Thank You God." If Connie was about fifteen in those episodes then she'd have to be at least twenty-five at the time that "the pact" took place.

In the past I'd mentioned this before but also in this episode, if we add up the years I think it would make Agnes and Joanne about 73 years old.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Candy
CIA is my friend
CIA is my friend

Post by Candy »

wow! That's Weird!! :D Thanks for figuring that up!
I'd rather live as if there were a God, and found out there isn't, then to live as if there weren't a God, and find out there is.
Image Image
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

A very astute observation! \:D/

However IMO I don't think the writers really care much about ages and how things coincide like that, they just write whatever works for them at the time...
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

Yeah....like Trent is eight years younger than Mandy. :)

(Jared refers to his younger brother who was two...Mandy is present...later we learn that Trent is Jared's only bro...add it up...Jared was probably around 10 when he said that...oh well)
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Bob Booth wrote:Yeah....like Trent is eight years younger than Mandy. :)

(Jared refers to his younger brother who was two...Mandy is present...later we learn that Trent is Jared's only bro...add it up...Jared was probably around 10 when he said that...oh well)
FOR: In the episode Something Cliqued Between Us, we learn that Jared and Mandy are in the same year at school (unless she was in an advanced social studies course). Mandy was once a bright student that showed potential but the Novabox set her back so far that she wound up in the same year as Jared's eight-years-younger brother.

AGAINST: In September 1997, in the episode The Pushover, Jared said his brother was almost two, but Mandy had not yet made her first appearance in the show, so we can't verify her age at that point. We know from The Treasure Room that Whit first met Mandy when she was five. The first time we hear an episode with Whit and Mandy together didn't come until April 1998, in A Case of Revenge, over half a year later. If she was five at that time, and Trent was two-and-a-half, there would only be a two-and-a-half year gap between the two.

OTHER EVIDENCE: Connie.
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

Ah! I stand corrected. That is interesting. Thanks! :) (I always hated thinking about that too hard)
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

The Top Crusader wrote:A very astute observation! \:D/

However IMO I don't think the writers really care much about ages and how things coincide like that, they just write whatever works for them at the time...
Yeah, I probably should have been a bit more clear. As far as Connie being twenty five, I don't actually think she really is that old, so I guess this whole thing is maybe more a 'goof alert' than anything else.

And with Mandy and Jared and Trent, I think it's just like this is. Another small, one episode reference that we have to probably overlook. If we really wanted a good answer we could either say that there are three DeWhite brothers. Or just say that in "The Pushover" Jared (given his imagination) doesn't know his brothers age and for all we know he just told Mr. Whittakker he was two to lower suspicions. It's all up to logical guesses I guess.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

Dallas R. wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:. If we really wanted a good answer we could either say that there are three DeWhite brothers. Or just say that in "The Pushover" Jared (given his imagination) doesn't know his brothers age and for all we know he just told Mr. Whittakker he was two to lower suspicions. It's all up to logical guesses I guess.

I wouldn't say that there are three DeWhite brothers...unless they didn't bring the third one along in the witness protection agency. :) In the Case of the Disappearing Hortons, Jared says that his dad, his mom, his little brother and he were "taken away." He specifically mentions each one...and doesn't mention another little brother.

So...yeah...I think it's just something we're supposed to overlook. Though, sometimes I wish they didn't put age discrepancies like that in the show. They just make things hard for themselves. Oh well. :)
Last edited by Bob Booth on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I mentioned this in an earlier thread, if I recall correctly--regarding Jared/Mandy/Trent, Mandy mentioned in "Out of Our Hands" that she had turned twelve eight months from the start of the episode. Well, in "Mum's the Word," she states that she "knows [Trent] made that big paper heart for [her] last year." The previous year, then, would have been Trent's seventh grade year, as Eugene mentioned in "The Invisible Dog" (an episode that takes place only a few weeks at the most after "The Present Long Ago"). Thus, by "Mum's the Word," Mandy would be in the seventh grade (most likely) at the age of twelve and Trent, because we all know that he is brilliant (he has, I believe, even shown to be more so than Mandy herself, though not grade-skipping-ly so), would certainly have moved up to the next grade, placing him as an eighth grader and, at the most, fourteen. And it's not like he doesn't have the voice for it...
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Time doesn't have to work in Odyssey, or if you want an explanation Odyssey exists outside of time.

TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Which explains why so many people are obsessed with finding out people's ages in Odyssey...
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Dallas R. wrote:I just listened to "the pact", and in it Tom says that it was ten years ago from the episode that he took Agnes to Hillingdale. If that's true, and since she hadn't gone to Hillingdale yet in Thank you god, that means that at least ten years have past over the years of the show since the time of "Thank You God." If Connie was about fifteen in those episodes then she'd have to be at least twenty-five at the time that "the pact" took place.

In the past I'd mentioned this before but also in this episode, if we add up the years I think it would make Agnes and Joanne about 73 years old.
I don't want to rain on your parade, but this doesn't actually tell us anything. "Thank You, God" could have taken place while Agnes was living at Hillingdale (it's not uncommon for family members to be able to take people in those types of places home for special occasions).

Or it could have happened 10 years before Agnes actually went to Hillingdale.

It doesn't give us any clues about how much time passed between "Thank You, God" and "The Pact."
JoyElectric
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by JoyElectric »

31899 wrote:Time doesn't have to work in Odyssey, or if you want an explanation Odyssey exists outside of time.
Exactly. Even the town sign warns that a wormhole has been spotted now and then at the edge of town. This temporal anomaly allows time moves much slower at times, speeds far ahead at others. It causes voices to change and for people to disappear for years only to show up one day like nothing has happened.

And totally unrelated, but these episodes are great. Kudos to Nathan Hoobler, Janet Waldo, and Susan Silo for all doing great jobs one this.
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

I think that Dallas's theory works. But the way I figure it, Connie is now 37. Agreeing with JoyElectric, I don't think there is any concept of time in Odyssey. Remember what Connie said to Eugene and Katrina after they returned to town? "Wow, you guys don't look a day older!" :p Also, Mandy's been all over the place. She was at least 10 or 11 in When in Doubt, Pray, but then she was made much younger in Tornado. Then, she's back to middle school, in which she has stayed for at least 5 years.