Les Misérables

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
LizzieG
I've been working out

Les Misérables

Post by LizzieG »

Les Misérables, written by Victor Hugo, is a classic, a redemption story of truly epic proportions... and the book that I finished reading two days ago! It's been a journey more than a year in the making (or I should say "in the reading"), but it was well worth it. 1463 pages is a rather intimidating length, particularly for someone without much extensive knowledge of French history, but it gave me such a breadth of understanding of the characters and the time, and was gripping and powerful. It isn't a quick and easy read, but I highly recommend it.

On a similar note, I've had the radio theatre version of Les Mis for a few years now, but decided not to listen to it until after I had read the book (even though at the time I didn't have any immediate plans to read it). I've finally listened to it, and it definitely doesn't do the book justice. It's well-made, of course, like any radio theatre production, but there's too much story to be told well in a mere 2.5 hours, and I felt that (at least) some of the changes that were made lessened the power of the story. Though admittedly, book purist as I am, I probably shouldn't have listened to the day after finishing the book. :anxious:

Has anyone else read the book, heard the drama, and/or seen the musical or any of the film adaptations?
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I've only read part of the abridged version for school. I was supposed to have finished it...but I didn't :anxious:

Till the end of the line.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

I liked the musical.

Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

I heard the radio Theatre version and LOVED it!It is an excellent story that everyone should at least read.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

My school did that play and it was nice.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

i want to see the play/musical now! ...after I read the book, that is!

Till the end of the line.
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I'm glad you liked the book, Lizzie! I've been meaning to re-read it. I had to read it in college, meaning I did so grudgingly as all assigned reading tends to be, but I really loved the film adaptation with Liam Neeson and Claire Danes. I've also seen a musical version but the themes in the story seem way more poignant to me without the musical element. Anyway, it definitely makes my top 10 favorite movies. :)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I've listened to the Radio Theatre version and also seen several film adaptions - but I've never read the book. The RT version was well done, and I enjoyed it. Of course, never having read the book, I can't speak to whether it does it justice or not. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.