Bigfoot

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Is Bigfoot real?

Yes- you bet, maybe even in the woods near me...
25%
No-Are you crazy? those stories are just lies!
8%
Maybe
46%
Yes-there are big feet in this world, but no Sasquatches
21%

Total votes: 24

Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Bigfoot

Post by Jason Whits Son »

So a while back in U.S. History...our teacher decided to show us a site that had to do with bigfoot

This site is interesting because it has stories of different Bigfoot sightings from different states and counties, includes Canada as well.
I encourage you to explore this site its really interesting the different stories there are.

What are your views on bigfoot.

Real or Fake??

(sorry if this has been discussed before...)
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

I say it could be real... But I think it may be a demon thing.
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Yeah its probably just some big dumb animal that are pretty low in numbers and don't dance around in populated areas very often.
snubs
Future Catspaw
Future Catspaw

Post by snubs »

^ ...uh-huh... :|
snubs is not dumb as he really is very smart. — Bmuntz
| Odyssey Chat | Odyssey Moments | OM Podcast | #NotAIOMerch |
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

...I highly doubt this "bigfoot" is real. ;) Seriously. Unless a monkey mated with a gorilla and the DNA severely mutated... No. Just for the record, that weird black and white video of the thing walking away was staged. My dad heard the guy who did it admitting to that. (he even rented the costume in a store I've been in. \:D/ )
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

I'm not completely convinced that there is a such thing as a bigfoot species either. But it does make me wonder what all those people who have seen what looked like a eight or nine foot creature saw if not bigfoot.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Well, for one thing it might be able to be called LSD or meth. But in all seriousness, it could've been something demonic... And then was exaggerated. Or just a shadow. Or a monkey that again, was exaggerated. Or an experiment gone wrong. Termite does not by all means claim to have thought up the last idea. Frank E Peretti gets all the credit. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Maybe it was a small King Kong! \:D/
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Funny, I was just reading up about this the other day.

No, Termite, the guy who said that he'd seen it (and filmed it) did not admit to it. It's like saying Darwin denied all of his work on his deathbed. Or that the Loch Ness monster-discoverer-guy had faked everything. Can't just say it doesn't exist or can't because of rumours to the opposite, any more than we can say it for sure can because of rumours that say so.

As far as the footage itself goes, I've looked at it. There are lots of opinions about what's the difference between some ape-like thing and someone dressed in a costume.

Can I say for certain there isn't some species that people identify with "Bigfoot"-ish things? No. Can I say for certain there is? No. >_>
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

And while its not possible at the moment to debunk that its demonic, and demonic manifestitation is a possibility, I'm not really sure why I demon would decide "Oh hey guyz Imma gonna turn in2 a big hairy man and walk around in teh woods lol!"
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

You can prove something exists, but you can't prove it doesn't exist. I don't know what to believe, but if he does exist I want him as a pet.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

The Top Crusader wrote:And while its not possible at the moment to debunk that its demonic, and demonic manifestitation is a possibility, I'm not really sure why I demon would decide "Oh hey guyz Imma gonna turn in2 a big hairy man and walk around in teh woods lol!"
Well, God works in mysterious ways. Maybe Bigfoot is a way of reminding us we CAN'T ALWAYS BELIEVE WHAT WE HEAR.

And I've read some interesting stories about werewolves being demons and 3 AM being the very witchen time of night, when Ichabod Crane, etc, etc, etc.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Haha. I wasn't really serious about a demon being a big hair thing, Top. ;) I meant more someone seeing one and stretching it like people do. :p
Love you always, SnC
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

The Top Crusader wrote:And while its not possible at the moment to debunk that its demonic, and demonic manifestitation is a possibility, I'm not really sure why I demon would decide "Oh hey guyz Imma gonna turn in2 a big hairy man and walk around in teh woods lol!"
Well, Top, some people think that Bigfoot may be related to the Nephilim (demons mating with humans).

For the record, I believe the evidence for Bigfoot is too overwhelming to simply dismiss it as fake. In fact, there is a town near here on the Indian reservation that has been getting tons of sightings, some of which have been confirmed by the law enforcement authorities who have responded to the 911 calls.

Jeremy
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

Well, I saw Bigfoot once riding a skateboard and wearing a straw hat, so I'd have to say...oh, wait a minute. That was that movie. :)

No, I don't believe in Bigfoot. If he were real, he definitely would be captured and behind glass by now for people to gawk at.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Most assertions of whether or not Big Foot is real is made by average people sitting back in their arm chairs thinking about it not much more than they think about whether they should pull a bag of chips out of the pantry. In fact, you'd probably give more though to the chips, as the existence of Big Foot probably has less of an impact on your life. To be fair, you're right.

But if you're going to decide for real, you should probably do some research. And the fact is, the amount of evidence weighs highly in favor of its existence. The are overwhelming numbers of eyewitness accounts, often by well-respected people in the community like police officers. Even if you count some of them as hoaxes or misidentification, there are just so many that are consistent with each other. The odds of that happening by some other means is sillier that the idea of Big Foot itself. And what's so silly about a large ape anyway? We know Gorillas and Orangutans are real. Why not one that lives in North America? "But everyone's seen a Gorilla! That's how we know it's real!" you say. Well, actually Gorillas were in the same category as Big Foot just a hundred years ago. They were just another native tall tale about a monstrous hairy man. It was by chance that an explorer stumbled on a Gorilla nest. Even now, Gorillas are extremely hard to find in the wild. The reason you've seen Gorillas is because they've been bread in captivity and expeditions to find them are well-funded. Expeditions require proper funds and time to be successful. Big Foot expeditions rarely get the star treatment.

In addition to eyewitness accounts, there is hard evidence like hair samples that have been identified as being of an unknown species of ape. These hair samples are tested against a database of millions of known animals, including all known apes. Footprints are consistent with each other, would require an expert knowledge in the makeup of apes to fake, and have been found in places so remote that there are normally no people around to fake them. In addition, some footprints have been found in such tough soil that it would take at least 800-900 pounds of weight to produce.

The Paterson footage of Big Foot taken in the 70s has never been discounted. Many teams have tried to disprove it by recreating it. I have seen two TV specials independent of each other trying to get a person to recreate the movements of the creature in the video exactly. They couldn't do it. It's not humanly possible. In addition, the creature in the video is shown to be female. Why would someone who's faking it choose to put breasts on it? And the type of costume it would take to do that didn't exists at the time. In addition, the person would have to have an expert knowledge of apes to know that apes have to turn their shoulders to look back, unlike humans who can just turn their neck. It's true that someone did say that he did put on a suit and did it. But the two individuals who were actually there deny this. And based on the hard evidence, it's likely he just wanted attention.

Based on the overwhelming evidence, I would say it's more unbelievable to say Big Foot isn't real, and that all this evidence comes from nowhere.
Last edited by Elrohir on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

Oba-rai wrote:It's like saying Darwin denied all of his work on his deathbed.
Actually Darwin did renounce his theory when he died in fact he spent his last week of his life singing church Hymns
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Patterson, who died of cancer in 1972, swore on his death bed that the footage was authentic. Gimlin also claims the same and avoided publicly discussing the subject from at least the early 1970s until about the year 2000 when he began giving interviews and making appearances at Bigfoot conferences. He appeared in a TV special saying he wished he had never seen it because of all the ridicule. It also put so much strain on him that his wife ended up leaving him. Despite all this, he still holds to his story.