Mandy is related to the McCalisters?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Mandy is related to the McCalisters?

Post by KODY 105 »

http://www.aiowiki.com/wiki/McCalister_family

Mandy is listed in this... list. Would someone with deep AIO knowledge please explain this to me? Is this because we know for sure she marries Trent in the future?

Perhaps we should update that wiki page to show how we know the characters are related to the McCalister family.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Mandy is not related to the McCalisters. I think the reason why she's on the list is because she played Bertha, friend of Horace McAlister, in A Class Reenactment.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I think it's because she marries Trent. Sorry, Trent. ;)
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Are the any McCalister left besides that one old lady of which I can't remember the name?

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandler wrote:I think it's because she marries Trent. Sorry, Trent. ;)
My name is DeWhite, not McAlister. :noway:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Trent is fairly far removed from the McCalister name, so Mandy's marriage to him would make her a DeWhite, not a McCalister. Perhaps his name is McWhite...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

He's maternally related to them--something the writers may have, understandably, forgotten and that I added to his and Abel McCalister's articles on AIOWiki. His great-great grandfather is part of the McCalister family, as he states in "Called on in Class" as told to him by his mother. I was confused, too, until I remembered that Mandy's marriage to Trent will make her a member of the McCalister family.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

TigerintheShadows wrote:Mandy's marriage to Trent
Isn't that a bit presumptuous seeing as wee don't even know if they'll be in season 51. (Though it would be nice if they were)

King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

TigerintheShadows wrote:I was confused, too, until I remembered that Mandy's marriage to Trent will make her a member of the McCalister family.
The keyword there is will. Yes, in the future, she will be a distant descendant of the McCalisters by marriage, but she isn't yet, and therefore, it doesn't belong on her AIOwiki article.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

How do we know that Trent's mother's maiden name wasn't McAlister?
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I'm glad I'm not a McCalister; people would be arguing about my relatives on the internet all the time! :huh:

I got the impression that the name itself mostly died out in Odyssey, but there were still some indirect McCalister descendents in Odyssey.

Wow, I just realized Trent and Jared are distantly related to the plumber who broke into the Washingtons' house. :huh:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Jared was the plumber. He was masquerading as "Mac"(Alister) too search for the treasure accrued by the McAlister family ever since 1895. According to his deluded mind, he thought he inherited the whole thing.
TigerintheShadows

Chandler wrote:How do we know that Trent's mother's maiden name wasn't McAlister?
We don't. It could be safely assumed, however, because Eleanor McCalister (someone please explain to me how to spell it; I'm still confused) is probably only old enough to be a grandmother, not a great-grandmother, and I think it's been established that Mrs. DeWhite is a direct descendant. Or Trent is completely confused about his family tree and the mention of his great-great grandfather being a McCalister is completely non-canon.

And Kody, that sounds like the kind of thing Jared would do, actually.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

TigerintheShadows wrote:We don't. It could be safely assumed, however, because Eleanor McCalister (someone please explain to me how to spell it; I'm still confused) is probably only old enough to be a grandmother, not a great-grandmother, and I think it's been established that Mrs. DeWhite is a direct descendant. Or Trent is completely confused about his family tree and the mention of his great-great grandfather being a McCalister is completely non-canon.
Lol, I'm completely confused about what you just said. :lol:
TigerintheShadows

Come to think of it, so am I. :lol:

I meant that Eleanor McCalister was probably Mrs. DeWhite's mother because Eleanor doesn't seem old enough to be a great-grandmother, and so is probably Trent and Jared's grandmother. Thus, Trent's mother's maiden name was probably McCalister.

Oh, and I'm confused on the spelling of McCalister.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

The AIO team doesn't even know how to spell it. ;)

Eleanor McCalister was an old maid; McCalister is her given name.
Jason Whits Son
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Jason Whits Son »

Theres that one episode in the future wheretrent and Mandy ARE married, so they do get married, we know that much...although theres not an episode as of yet with the wedding, we know for a fact that they do...so considering this she does belomg on the list since trent is distantly related to the McCalisters.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

TigerintheShadows wrote:I meant that Eleanor McCalister was probably Mrs. DeWhite's mother because Eleanor doesn't seem old enough to be a great-grandmother, and so is probably Trent and Jared's grandmother. Thus, Trent's mother's maiden name was probably McCalister.
I really doubt that. Like Amethystic said, I don't believe that she was ever married. Besides, the whole point is that the town apparently had a lot of McAlister's at one point. Eleanor may be a great-aunt to Trent or she may be a more distant relation.

Let's say for example that Trent's mother was a McAlister. Her family moves from the area when she's still a kid but she remembers Odyssey and wants to raise her family there after she marries. Therefore she may have no close family members in town besides her kids, but she's still related to the founding family.
TigerintheShadows

Point taken. Suffice it to say that they're related.
AIO tumblr sideblog
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I found out this past summer that McAlister was decided upon as the official spelling of the name.

Carry on. :)