Why did...

Katrina need money?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Why did...

Post by Trixie Belden »

This is something that I have wondered about for years, and a reasonable explanation is never given. In the episode "Truth, Trivia, and Trina," Katrina Shanks is working at the library to earn the money for tuition. Later on in the episode, it is said that she needs the money from Bart's show for the same reason. In the next episode she appears in, "It Began With a Rabbit's Foot", she loses her job and is in need of more money. Because of this, Connie offers her a job at Whit's End and she later begins work for Mr. Holstein. In "A Book by it's Cover", she is tutoring Melissa, presumably for more money.
Before we knew her entire backstory, all these things made sense. But when her father is introduced in "The Turning Point", we discover that the Shanks family is indeed very, very wealthy. This is shown in many episodes, including "For Whom the Wedding Bells Toll" when Katrina mentions her family always hiring full time nurses when she was sick and in "It's a Pokenberry Christmas, when Eugene says that the entire Shanks family is spending Christmas in London. Also, in "For Better or For Worse", Mrs Shanks seems bent on having everything the most expensive and costly.
So my question is, when she needed money, why didn't she simply write home and ask? Her parents seemed to delight in getting their little girl everything she wanted, no matter what the price, so what was the big deal? Did Katrina simply want to support herself through college, or did Mr. Shanks win the lottery in the couple of years between "Truth Trivia, and Trina" and "The Turning Point"? Or maybe I'm just mistaken and there's a reasonable explaination for all of this that I missed. :-s
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

I think it was because she wanted to support herself instead of relying on her parents because she knew that they weren't always going to be there to give her what she wanted when she wanted it. I don't know, though. I think this is more character judgement than anything else, but I haven't heard the eps from that era in a while, so I wouldn't know.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Dallas R.
My posts are revolutionary

Post by Dallas R. »

Maybe her parents got lots of money when her dad started working for Novacom, right around the time that we found out that her family was rich. :anxious: ...maybe.
Katrina Meltsner talking to Katrina Shanks Video
(Pamela Hayden and Audrey Wasilewski face-off)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHyEphRM4g

Yep. Using my signature for a shameless plug. But trust me. If I can be so arrogant, I think it'll be worth your time.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

Except that all those episodes mentioned were prior to Novacom...
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
TigerintheShadows

That doesn't mean that Novacom wasn't around then; it just means they weren't heard of up until "Opportunity Knocks."
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Well yeah her parents weren't going to college... she was an adult, why should they pay for it? :noway:
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

In "The Turning Point," Mr. Shanks states that he believes students should make their own way through college (even if Katrina comes to Eugene's defense and states that scholarships are fine, too). Mr. Shanks most likely took the stance that Katrina would be better off in the long run if she worked her way through the expenses without any assistance, and thus did not offer to pay for her tuition.

If I don't get to have my tuition paid for, no one else does, either!
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

Good call, Santa. I'm glad this all got cleared up. You really do see everyone all the time! Scary!
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

LOL. But yeah, Santa hit the nail on the head... I never understood why kids thought their parents have any obligation to pay for their college... I'm definitely not paying for my kids! \:D/
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

I think she wanted to pay her college by herself.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Her parents are very ... selfish and greedy, and it was probably some back handed way of teaching a lesson.

Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

31899 wrote:Her parents are very ... selfish and greedy, and it was probably some back handed way of teaching a lesson.

Wow....

That's all I can say. It's obvious that Novacom rubbed off on her father, which made him even greedier and penny pinching than he was already.
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

While we are on the subject - whatever happened to Katrina's brothers?
A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man would have to seek Him to find her.

JF, JesusFreak777, and JF777 are all copyrighted by this user. Any violators will be fined and prosecuted. Thank you.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

JesusFreak777 wrote:While we are on the subject - whatever happened to Katrina's brothers?
That is a very good thought. One should marry Connie in album 51 and then Connie and Eugene can be brother and sister-in-law.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Marvin D.
i haz xpirenancee!!1

Post by Marvin D. »

King Butter Turtle wrote:
JesusFreak777 wrote:While we are on the subject - whatever happened to Katrina's brothers?
That is a very good thought. One should marry Connie in album 51 and then Connie and Eugene can be brother and sister-in-law.
Connie and Eugene as brothers and sister-in law? No way!
"I still see Marvin as a newbie that is just as cool as an oldie." --snubs

Most Sarcastic Poster | Most Likely To Be Eaten By a Dinosaur and Smote by God |
Biggest Joker and Grammar Nazi | Best Writer
Bob Booth
OK

Post by Bob Booth »

Wait, where were Katrina's brothers mentioned?
Trixie Belden
Honourary Narnian
Honourary Narnian

Post by Trixie Belden »

In "A Book by it's Cover." The girl that Katrina is tutoring, Melissa, asks if Katrina has any siblings. She says that she has two brothers. Apparently they're very cute! :D These brothers have never been mentioned again, even when Mr. Shanks was dying and when Eugene and Katrina renewed their vows.
TigerintheShadows

Actually, Connie and Eugene as brother and sister-in-law wouldn't be that awful of a thought--it's better than them both married to each other, anyway.
AIO tumblr sideblog