Should I buy a Mac?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Should I buy a Mac?

Post by Dr. Watson »

Ahoy! :)

My current computer (PC) is under attack from some very malicious trojans/malware. My anti-malware programs are proving fruitless and my computer's performance is slowly deteriorating. Of course I could just get better anti-virus software, but my computer is close to five years old and due for an upgrade. Plus, I feel like I need to start with a clean slate.

So...

Should I buy a Mac or another PC?

Considerations:

1)I've never ever used a Mac. :o
2) Macs = better stability and/or protection against malware? Given my current situation, this is weighing heavily on my mind.
3) Macs = better audio/video performance? I'm planning on using the computer for audio editing/production so this would be a definite plus. :)
4) Can I transfer Microsoft Office files (Word/Excel/etc) from my existing computer to a Mac? Or are they pretty much stuck on my PC? If so, then that's a definite con. :(
5) Cost? Macs are expensiver, right? :(

So, people who own/use Macs, are they worth getting? Or should I stick to trusty PC's?
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I would buy a Mac. They are very easy to learn and you would not have to worry about viruses. Now I am not a computer expert (as I've stated here many times) so I don't know the differences between Macs and PCs, but I have a three year old MacBook and I love it. This is just my two cents.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

If you can afford it, it would probably suit your needs fairly well. Of course, you would have to do a lot of adjusting. I wouldn't buy one, but I just can't stand to spend that much more on on a computer that I can get for a lot cheaper otherwise. ;)
...I hate marquees.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Perfect timing, since I'm also considering getting a Mac in the semi-near future! :highfive:

One question of mine...

6) I have a PC-formatted ipod. Would it be hard to get it Mac-oriented?
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

I would say buy another PC, but that is because I'm a PC fanboy. :(

1) You are smart man. :o
2) Er, I guess haxorz don't make as many viruses for Macs because no one cares about them, so... maybe. I've never had security problems on either Windows Vista or Windows 7, though.
3) Performance... that would probably depend. It's better for editing video/audio, though. :(
4) Uh, I'm fairly certain you should be able to download OpenOffice for the Mac and open those files.
5) Depends on what sort of PC you buy. ;) But in general, Macs are more expensive, I believe.

I use a PC because it suits my needs much, much better than a Mac. According to your criteria, though, you would probably want to really look into buying a Mac, especially if you're going to do a lot of editing/media stuff. Look up a guide on the internets for transferring from a PC to a Mac and check how difficult it would be, check the price, and decide from there.

But every time someone buys a Mac, a kitten dies. :( So be sure to take that into consideration.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I would definitely say Mac... they are FAR better in nearly every way. The only reason I myself don't yet have one is because they are more expensive indeed. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Woohoo! Do it! \:D/

1. Gasp! :shock: It's not hard, but might be a slight adjustment to get used to where things are.
2. Yep. Less "drive-by" downloads, less things written for them (probably because less chance to succeed at exploit)
3. They're probably not much different, but Macs are heavily used lately for audio/video editing
4. Not a problem at all. Your new version of Office for Mac (or OpenOffice) should open them fine.
5. Yes, but worth it IMHO. You called them "trusty PC's" but how much trust should you put into a product leaving you with the problems you have now? :P

Lizzie:
6. http://www.google.com/search?q=ipod+for ... ows+to+mac \:D/
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Dr. Watson wrote:1)I've never ever used a Mac. :o
2) Macs = better stability and/or protection against malware? Given my current situation, this is weighing heavily on my mind.
3) Macs = better audio/video performance? I'm planning on using the computer for audio editing/production so this would be a definite plus. :)
4) Can I transfer Microsoft Office files (Word/Excel/etc) from my existing computer to a Mac? Or are they pretty much stuck on my PC? If so, then that's a definite con. :(
5) Cost? Macs are expensiver, right? :(

So, people who own/use Macs, are they worth getting? Or should I stick to trusty PC's?
Ah, as a long-time user of the PC and recent (within four years) convert to the Mac, the short and simple answer to your last question is - yes, they are worth getting.

1. Ah, well, at least you see the error of your ways.
2. I've owned a Mac for over three years and have never gotten hit by a virus, malware, etc. Now, to be fair, a PC user can easily avoid malware by simply being careful (e.g. not opening unknown attachments, not clicking on suspicious links). But PCs are largely more susceptible to security breaches than Macs.
3. In general, Macs can handle audio/video editing far better than PCs. That's not to say that PCs can't handle audio/video, but you'll need to make sure you get a good graphics card, have a decent amount of RAM (4GB ), a fast CPU, etc.
4. As a couple people have already pointed out, using an open source office program or Office for Mac will do the trick.
5. Yep. They'll end up costing you 25%-50% more than you would spend on an "comparable" PC, but the benefits you gain by going with a Mac are totally worth it. From durability and battery life (presuming you're thinking about a Macbook) to reliability and performance, everything about Macs is an improvement.
LizzieG wrote:6) I have a PC-formatted ipod. Would it be hard to get it Mac-oriented?
Nope, but you'll have to re-format it. ;)
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Well, a couple of hours ago, Watson discovered that his bank account has been accessed by unknown persons and half of his hard earned savings transferred to odd sounding banks. :shock: The only thing we can come up with is whatever virus is infecting his PC was responsible. :(

Get a Mac, Watson!!! :x
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

'Nuff said.
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oh no! That's awful. :( I hope that somehow there's a happy ending to this tragic tale, though I'm guessing it's almost impossible to track down the bad guys in this kind of situation. :x

I'm sure your heartfelt sympathy is appreciated, Trent. ;)
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Most likely there was a keylogger of some sort and they got his info.. (although I should point out, you can still get your identity stolen if you have a mac.. ;) )

Anyway, not good, I hope he can get this mess cleaned up soon. :(
...I hate marquees.
Joyfully
Found

Post by Joyfully »

My sister had a PC, and then a Dell and now she has a Mac.

it has taken her a little while to get used to it, but I think you would like it, if you had enough money...they are exspensive! O_o
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I'm sorry to hear about all the computer woes, Watson! Get the Mac. ;)

1) I bought my Mac when I hadn't used one either. Initially, I got it because I knew that if I bought a PC I would waste tons of times modifying it/playing games/etc and wanted something PURELY for school. Yes, there is a learning curve but once you get used to that it becomes just as comfortable to use as any computer.

2) My last PC notebook got taken down HARD (read: completely unusable) not because I wasn't careful but because I logged on to a network at a school where someone else wasn't careful and the virus trotted over to my computer and killed it. Security is a major downside for the PC, though I've heard rumors that Windows 7 is supposedly better about this. Nevertheless, since then I've had 3 Macs and not a single virus or security issue regardless of network usage. Also, no proprietary software to install either - which is nice.

3) Supposedly Mac has the reputation for being the Audio/Video computer with PC having the reputation for being the Business/Office machine but with the transferability of software and the wide range of options out there, I'm not sure that today there's a huge difference.

4) Most definitely yes - office files are cross compatible (as are most software files like .psd .pdf etc). That said, Office Mac has been the cause of most of my software woes with this computer, so they have a ways to go before they iron out all the wrinkles. For some reason Office demands a LOT from the Mac when it's running which can cause slowdowns and such.

5) The cheapest Mac to the best of my knowledge is the Mini which, if I recall correctly, is about $599. Personally, I've had an iBook (that I purchased off of Ebay out of warranty), and a Powerbook G4 (the old Macbook Pro) and a standard white Macbook from the store. Apple offers a student and a military discount so if someone in your family fits those categories, it may work to your benefit to have them pay the bill at the store. ;)

Overall, they're great machines. They have problems as well - I've had crashes that have been DEVASTATING on my Mac but they all occurred as a result of attempting to dual-boot Windows, so interpret that as you will. ;) I've had my current Macbook for 3 years with the extended warranty and haven't had a single hardware issue with it. The "e" key fell off my Powerbook at one point and they had to replace the entire keyboard and the white plastic top case did crack quite frequently on the Macbook which was also replaced on several occasions. So, I'd categorize most of my problems as purely cosmetic. It can still be annoying to drag the computer in for repair though, especially if you don't live near an Apple retail location.

Regarding warranty and resale, another nice feature is that Macs tend to hold resale value. If you purchase the three year warranty, you can turn around the computer and sell it, say, a month before the warranty expires which adds quite a bit to its ultimate value. People tend to see that as an extra "insurance policy" in case you're trying to sell them a lemon or something. ;) Worst case scenario is that you have to sell your computer for parts, but even then there's still a good market for Mac parts. For example, when the logic board on my iBook eventually went, it still sold for a few hundred on Ebay for parts.

Hope this helps and that everything goes well for you from now on computer-wise!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Haven't read all the other responses here so no doubt I'm repeating what others have said.
Dr. Watson wrote:1)I've never ever used a Mac. :o
They're easier to learn than PC's so I imagine an intelligent guy like you can handle it. :-
Dr. Watson wrote:2) Macs = better stability and/or protection against malware? Given my current situation, this is weighing heavily on my mind.
Better stability, definitely. Two schools of thought on the malware. Some say Macs offer excellent protection and some say that since most people use PC that's the platform hackers target. Either way, it works nicely.
Dr. Watson wrote:3) Macs = better audio/video performance? I'm planning on using the computer for audio editing/production so this would be a definite plus. :)
Definitely. :yes:
Dr. Watson wrote:4) Can I transfer Microsoft Office files (Word/Excel/etc) from my existing computer to a Mac? Or are they pretty much stuck on my PC? If so, then that's a definite con. :(
Just buy Microsoft Word for Mac. :) I've used that quite extensively with my work and it opens files from PC just fine.
Dr. Watson wrote:5) Cost? Macs are expensiver, right? :(
Favorite slander of PC-lovers. ;) In my experience, it might be more cost up front (apparently that can even be disputed in certain circumstances), but usually there's less money output after the initial purchase. PC's seems to always have certain parts dying or needing upgrades while Macs in general can offer a few years of solid performance.
Dr. Watson wrote:So, people who own/use Macs, are they worth getting? Or should I stick to trusty PC's?
Trusty? :P
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Wow, thanks for all the responses/advice everyone! :)

Yeah, it was funny that just scant hours after I posted this complaining about malware, I log on to my bank account and discovered that said malware cleaned me out pretty good. Last night was rough. But after many phone calls/faxing/general prayer, I think I have everything almost straightened out.

And now I am really leaning toward a Mac.:)

My dad was saying that we need to get an IT guy to come in and clean my computer, but after last night, I never want to touch that computer again. I want to buy something new, if only for peace of mind sake.
Darcie wrote:5. Yes, but worth it IMHO. You called them "trusty PC's" but how much trust should you put into a product leaving you with the problems you have now?
And that is an excellent point.

Yeah, I'm going to do more research about Macs and if anyone has any other Mac experiences, tips, and advice, I would be grateful for it. :)

Dr. Watson
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Are you thinking about getting a desktop or laptop?

My current setup is a 15" 2.8GHz Macbook Pro with a 22" monitor. I love having the portability of the laptop, as well as the larger screen whenever I'm using it at home.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

If I went with a Mac, I would probably go laptop since they seem slightly cheaper then desktop. But at this point I hadn't really made up my mind.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Macbooks are cheaper than the Mac Pro, yes. But not cheaper than iMacs, which are Apple's line of desktop computers.

The lowest end iMac gives you a 3.06 GHz processor, 4GB of RAM, and 500 GB hard drive... all for only $1200.

For the same price, you can get a Macbook with a 2.26 GHz processor, 2GB of RAM, and 160 hard drive.
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I knew my spider senses were tingling! I came back JUST TO TELL YOU NO NO NO NO NO.

Macs are evil.

Youtube "Why macs suck". It's hilarious. Disclaimer: Bad word
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz