Harry Potter

Since we've only mentioned it about twenty million times...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Harry Potter

Post by TigerintheShadows »

There's probably a thread relating to this in the ToO archives, but since that would be a pointless thing to drudge up again and I'm too lazy to go look through it all, I decided to create a thread for discussion.

Personally, I don't think these are THA GR8EST BKS EVR, but I do enjoy reading them. They're fun and intense, and they have action ALL THE WAY THROUGH. koff-unlike some books I could mention-koff

What exactly do y'all think? These books have been touched on, but mostly in the Twilight threads, when everyone then goes back quite promptly to Twilight bashing.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I have read all of the books except for the seventh one and I enjoyed them and the movies.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I have read all the books, and watched all the movies and I love them all!!!!!! they will stand the test of time \:D/

Till the end of the line.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I really like the movies. I haven't read the books yet. One of these days I probably will.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I think they're fun and well constructed. Imagine how hard it would be to keep all that straight and have little bits from earlier intertwine throughout until the conclusion! I definitely support reading the books because, like always, they hold way more details than could fit in the movies.

POA (#3) is my daughter's favorite movie because it doesn't have You-Know-Who ;) in it, and mine because of the way the director used foreshadowing with the big clocks and other little production value type things that were not in the books to tell the story.
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

as far as the movies go, I love the charm of the first 2, the angst of the 3rd one (and Lupin of course, and all the new adult characters) and the latest 2. Goblet of Fire is my least favorite movie but my favorite book :)

TigerintheShadows

I saw the sixth movie over the summer (it was also the ONLY movie I saw in theaters over the summer) and I LOVED it. It was absolutely awesome. I've never been a real crier, but I almost cried at Dumbledore's death. The way Yates did it was amazing. When Hermione and Draco were having their angst moments, I wanted to jump into the movie and hug them.
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

yeah me too! I LOVED the sixth movie it was very very well done. And unlike you, I'm more of a crier at movies; I like sad movies.

TigerintheShadows

I don't like sad anything, really; I'm more of a happy, peppy optomist. I do like some angst stories, though, and this was one of them--plus, it wasn't pulling a New Moon and having the main guy take his shirt off in every scene--or any scene, as far as I can remember.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

yeah, no shirtless pansies in Harry Potter! no sireee!!

Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

darcie wrote:POA (#3) is my daughter's favorite movie because it doesn't have You-Know-Who ;) in it, and mine because of the way the director used foreshadowing with the big clocks and other little production value type things that were not in the books to tell the story.
While probably my least favourite book, that was my favourite movie. The direction was not only better than the other HP films, but some of the best I've noticed in any movie period.

The books are among the top novels I've read; they kept me hooked throughout with unanswered questions and lovable character quirks, and every one threw a completely unforeseen ending at me in the final chapter or two. I've read through the series completely twice, plus several re-readings of the first six novels, and they still charm (PUN!) me every time.
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

I think the latest movie is the most accurate and the most coherent story. Now, the first 2 are very accurate too; but in my opinion not as coherent, but I still find them very enjoyable. They were more lovable and innocent as kids.

TigerintheShadows

I always thought that, too. The only complaint I have with either the books or the movies is the cursing, but every sentence is not punctuated with profanity, and I hear it more often at school than in the books, anyway, so I can put up with it (and I live in the South).
AIO tumblr sideblog
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

but the cursing can be appropriate (like in the battles in the last book, I didn't find the profanity objectional then.) And the latest movie didn't have that much cussing in my opinion; less than the book anyway. The books had more cussing that the movies I think.

TigerintheShadows

I think they did, too. The movies were better about cursing than the books. Still, I think Rowling could have just done without the cursing. (But, then again, I'm a Southern Baptist slightly-less-conservative-than-my-parents-Christian, so what do I know?)
AIO tumblr sideblog
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Shennifer wrote:but the cursing can be appropriate (like in the battles in the last book, I didn't find the profanity objectional then.) And the latest movie didn't have that much cussing in my opinion; less than the book anyway. The books had more cussing that the movies I think.
*cough*
Ephesians 4:29
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

No, cussing isn't appropriate anywhere. Just because it's a battle does not mean it makes it right.

Now I'll leave you all alone to continue with your HP discussions. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

yes, Termite, I agree-mostly. But I'd rather hear them cussing in the midst of war than at their teachers, for example. You're right, it's not good either way, but I'm just saying.

ANYWAYS, back to Harry Potter, ladies and gentlemen.
So, people, who's your favorite Harry Potter character as portrayed in both the book and the movie? are there any characters that they left out of the movies that you wish they hadn't?

oh, and my final question: of the three actors who portray Ron, Hermione and Harry, which is the best?

jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Can we have a topic about Harry Potter without some sort of debate or Bible verse thrown out, please? This happens every time.... It's a book, it's not going to kill you, grow up.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

well, the debate ended, so back to the discussion :)

JoyElectric
Hexadecimal teenager

Post by JoyElectric »

Harry Potter had a surprising depth to it that you wouldn't have expected in the first few chapters of the book. You can tell Rowling was a teacher and watched a few children grow up during her tenure.

Any kids book where the teachers are smarter than the kids, huge families save the world, and you actually see a young man mature throughout the series deserves some credit.

Oh, and Luna Lovegood. I'd read any book that was just based on her.