Biographies and Autobiographies!

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
LizzieG
I've been working out

Biographies and Autobiographies!

Post by LizzieG »

I have 400 pages of biographies (or autobiographies) to read by mid-December for my "Biography in History" class, and I need your suggestions! I want to make the most of these pages instead of, you know, picking something at random out of the library that may or may not be interesting. ;)
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

George Mueller, Adoniram Judson, and/or Billy Sunday.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Chris Jericho. Greatest autobiography ever. \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I don't read a lot of biographies, but I know my dad enjoyed reading Billy Graham's autobiography. I like KODY's suggestion of George Mueller - I read part of it for school once, but somehow never read the whole thing. But it was really good, and the AIO connection adds a nice bonus! One autobiography that I do recall enjoy was Wayne Gretzky's. \:D/ That was years ago, so there might be a more updated one. Though a quick search just turned up this old one, which must be the one that I read back in the day. And of course, there are a few biographies about good old John A. Macdonald, though you may have a problem tracking them down. :( This one appears to be comprehensive and well reviewed!

I hope you enjoy whatever books you read! Don't forget to tell us about them. :D
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

My first biography was The Hiding Place, so I decided to continue on in that vein with other the other Holocaust accounts of Night (Elie Wiesel) and Man's Search for Meaning (Victor Frankl). Tomorrow I'll be reading at least part of Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl. Pretty heavy material, but definitely interesting... especially reading them all so close together.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That does sound like some pretty intense reading, but I'm sure it's very good. :) I actually just thought of an autobiography to recommend. It sounds like you're all set for your class, but for future consideration, add "Joel" to your list. It's written by Joel Sonnenberg. I noticed it in my church library because Joel was in an episode of "Sue Thomas FBEye," which of course I love, and his appearance is very distinctive. I'm not very far in yet, but his story so far is really riveting, and there's a recommendation on the cover from Ruth and Billy Graham, so that sounds like a good sign!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

My Life Outside The Ring by Hulk Hogan! \:D/
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

John Adams by David McCullough is excellent.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Yeah I'm not into books with actual substance but my wife loves that book.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:My Life Outside The Ring by Hulk Hogan! \:D/
I saw it for sale and I totally thought of you! \:D/ It didn't motivate me to buy it ;) but I did think of you fondly, Toppykins!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

My marketing concepts are working! \:D/

Hulk Hogan or Godzilla = instant thoughts of Top among the world populace! \:D/
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Catspaw wrote:That does sound like some pretty intense reading, but I'm sure it's very good. :) I actually just thought of an autobiography to recommend. It sounds like you're all set for your class, but for future consideration, add "Joel" to your list. It's written by Joel Sonnenberg. I noticed it in my church library because Joel was in an episode of "Sue Thomas FBEye," which of course I love, and his appearance is very distinctive. I'm not very far in yet, but his story so far is really riveting, and there's a recommendation on the cover from Ruth and Billy Graham, so that sounds like a good sign!
I was just reading about Joel Sonnenberg the other day - small world! \:D/
Laurie wrote:John Adams by David McCullough is excellent.
My family has that book on their shelf, and I have 1776 by the same author on my shelf. Haven't read either yet, but I've heard he's a good author. Hence it being on my shelf. ;)