Drums

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Drums

Post by Sapphire »

What do you think of drums? Do you play them?
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Eh... I'm not big on them, especially in the church. The have a purpose (for example, in a marching band), but I don't like them in a "rock music" sense. :boohoo:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I don't see how drums are a bad thing in church...I have never really got that philosophy.
V-lady
Miss Independent
Miss Independent

Post by V-lady »

Drums can really add to music, so I think they're great.

No, I don't play them. It would probably be fun to learn though. \:D/
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Tyler wrote:I don't see how drums are a bad thing in church...I have never really got that philosophy.
Haha, well, seeing as you listen to rock music, I'm not surprised. ;) It's my personal conviction.

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Drums are what create a beat. :-s It's kind of hard to get a real, solid beat on a guitar. And using "you listen to rock music" doesn't work. I know a couple of girls who like to play drums and all they listen to is Radio Disney music. *shrugs* But of course, that's just how you feel.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I like drums. I played them in elementary school band... >_>
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

The drums really help keep the time in the music, which, unless your church doesn't improvise at all and strictly runs off of sheet music, is pretty much necessary. I play guitar at church and all we have is chord sheets so we pretty much rely on the drums for keeping time. I would hate to look up the timing for every song we play just because we don't have drums. Plus they add a nice beat to the music. I don't think it has anything to do with rock music...pretty much all music except classical music uses drums.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Doesn't even classical music have drums? >_>
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

No idea. I don't listen to it. ;)
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Eh. Percussion mostly, I think. Occasionally drums, maybe. It's been about five years since I went to see an orchestra play classical. *.* (which were the two most boring experience of my life, if I may say so)
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

It all depends on the church. ;) I once went to a church that had a piano and an organ, and sometimes a girl played the flute, but that was it. Then I went to a church with drums and guitars and was really shocked. :P The church I attend now has drums and guitars too, but it's better because it's quieter, unlike the other church which turned the sound so loud it gave my mom hearing damage.
Beware: This post was written by a brainless sicko, please ignore any part that doesn't make sense to you.
The good ol' ToO.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

For background on my belief, read Why I left the Contemporary Christian Music Movement by Dan Lucarini. This book really isn't "anti-rock", in general. It is mostly about why rock music, contemporary, drums, etc. shouldn't be in Christian churches, and how it causes so much damage. That's all I'm going to say on the subject. \:D/

Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

I love drums. Churches that have drums in their worship services are generally the best as far as the music goes :yes:.

I plan on learning them someday in all my free time ;).
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

The Top Crusader wrote:Doesn't even classical music have drums? >_>
Yep. They usually don't use it constantly in the background like in rock, but yeah, the instruments are used.

Yeah, drums shouldn't be in churches because they cause so... much... damage.

Can anyone give me a logical* explanation for why drums would be evil?

*does not include "tradition," "that's what my pastor said," or "that's what Bill Gothard said."
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Pseudonym wrote:Can anyone give me a logical* explanation for why drums would be evil?
Read the book.

Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

American Eagle wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:Can anyone give me a logical* explanation for why drums would be evil?
Read the book.
Do summaries count? Because if they do, I still don't see a logical explanation.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
DanP740
Trank Tank Driver
Trank Tank Driver

Post by DanP740 »

I like drums and can play a little bit...

Speaking of drums and classical music, King's Brass, (mostly brass instruments, a piano, and drums) uses drums, but I guess they're not exactly classical..
StrongNChrist 1991-2011
Use the chatroom! It's been active for a year, and most of you are missing it.
"Every time I start banging rocks together to make a beat, I feel all guilty and I need to repent for my sinful ways. :(" - Jelly
"I actually want to see this happen... the controversy would be legendary. :o" - American Eagle
":hilarious: This ladies and gentlemen is the founding of: 'The Awkward Club!'" - Steve
"Happy birthday, big Mercy! \:D/ \:D/" - Whitty Whit
I wasn't yelling. I was talking with vehemence.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Pseudonym wrote:
American Eagle wrote:
Read the book.
Do summaries count? Because if they do, I still don't see a logical explanation.
Gah. The reason why I'm pointing to the book is because I want to avoid this debate at all costs. I've debated it dozens of times, and not one of those discussions lead to anything but frustration. I'm advising people to read that book because it basically says everything I believe about music, but I don't want to force my view on anyone. The music you choose listen to is between you and God, the same way as with movies, TV, internet, etc. It's a personal choice, and I advise everything to think hard about it with much prayer. :yes:

J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

My church sings all a capella! \:D/

..and I listen to hard rock music all the time, go figure. I like drums.

(To all those who think rock music is evil because the rock beat never occurs naturally: Neither does steel, and gasoline, and.. well, yeah.)

...I hate marquees.