What's the saddest book you've ever read?

Or heard of?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
InHisArms
Still standing tall

What's the saddest book you've ever read?

Post by InHisArms »

I'm having trouble finding a really sad/scary book to do a dramatic interpretive speech from this year. So can you guys help me? \:D/

Oh, and if the main character is a teenage girl then it would be even better. \:D/

And if anyone mentions Twilight... :x

(And this is a Christian homeschool speech and debate league that I'm competing with...just keep that in mind. :P)
Last edited by InHisArms on Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The good ol' ToO.
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

Any story by Edgar Allan Poe?
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Um... Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy... Set back... Oh, early. When there were czars still, but later in that period. It deals with an affair and stuff like that. It's depressing, but well-written. Anna is a 30 year old beautiful women, soo...
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

Termite wrote:Um... Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy... Set back... Oh, early. When there were czars still, but later in that period. It deals with an affair and stuff like that. It's depressing, but well-written. Anna is a 30 year old beautiful women, soo...
Thanks, I'll check it out! \:D/ And don't worry if the people are the wrong age or anything, last year my best piece was when I played a blind man, it'd just be convenient if I didn't have to act so much. :P

And my name is Anna, so that's cool. \:D/
The good ol' ToO.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

The Road.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Yeah... Oh, and so you know, the book is 700+ pages. :- I probably shoudl've mentioned that.

Speaking of Edgar Allen Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart is good... As is The Pit and the Pendulum
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

oh the pit and the pendulum was one of his freakier ones!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Left Behind series. Wow. I cried several times when the main characters died... I seriously would like to read them all over again. *gets shivers remembering*

I don't read a whole lot of emotional books, but that series really teared me up in places.
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Edgar Allen Poe is very depressing, but he certainly could write.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

Iron and Light wrote:Edgar Allen Poe is very depressing, but he certainly could write.
Depressing is one way of putting it.

Walkabout. I have no idea who wrote it, but I cannot think about the book without wanting to crawl into a corner and die.

Which might have something to do with the fact that I read it when I was like, eight. And have no actual recollection of its subject. Because I refuse to re-read it. :anxious:
don't forget the rain.
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

American Eagle wrote:The Left Behind series. Wow. I cried several times when the main characters died... I seriously would like to read them all over again. *gets shivers remembering*

I don't read a whole lot of emotional books, but that series really teared me up in places.
Thanks people, keep 'em coming! \:D/

I've read the Left Behind series, but the problem is that the story is stretched over so many books, and you really can't cut a story from just one book, everything ties together so much that it would be very confusing to cut one story out of one book. :(
The good ol' ToO.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

All of Edgar Allen Poe's stories are short, yet intense. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I don't read many "sad" books, but I guess the ones that I think are kind of tragic are The Goodness Gene, The Cure, Animal Farm, and Ender's Game. In the first two a bunch of the main characters die (which I hate), Animal Farm has this sense of hopelessness to it, and Ender's Game makes me feel sad because Ender's life is so messed up. :(
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Catacombs by Paul McCusker!
Danae
Gold Member

Post by Danae »

Pretty much every book I've read by Lurlene McDaniel had me in tears. They are short and amazing. Although, I would suggest "Prey"... At all. She's a "Christian" author, too.
-Danae
InHisArms
Still standing tall

Post by InHisArms »

Danae wrote:Pretty much every book I've read by Lurlene McDaniel had me in tears. They are short and amazing. Although, I would suggest "Prey"... At all. She's a "Christian" author, too.
Woah, thanks so much for that lead! I'm reading about her books and they look positively amazing. *Checks out dozens of books from library* \:D/
The good ol' ToO.
Kairi
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Kairi »

The Diary of Anne Frank? I only read the beginning, but it was pretty ominous and sad. :(
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Kairi wrote:The Diary of Anne Frank? I only read the beginning, but it was pretty ominous and sad. :(
Yes, that one is rather depressing in many forms. :(
Danae
Gold Member

Post by Danae »

InHisArms wrote:
Danae wrote:Pretty much every book I've read by Lurlene McDaniel had me in tears. They are short and amazing. Although, I would suggest "Prey"... At all. She's a "Christian" author, too.
Woah, thanks so much for that lead! I'm reading about her books and they look positively amazing. *Checks out dozens of books from library* \:D/
They are! You'll be crying...
-Danae
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

American Eagle wrote:The Left Behind series. Wow. I cried several times when the main characters died... I seriously would like to read them all over again. *gets shivers remembering*

The Left Behind series had that effect on me as well in places... as did the radio drama version. I certainly got quite attached to those characters for awhile.

Other books that I specifically remember making me cry are A Tale of Two Cities, Uncle Tom's Cabin, and Francine Rivers' An Echo in the Darkness, the first two were excellent books that I haven't read since high school, but would like to read again - they're definitely worth reading all the way through. :)