Your Church and How you Serve in it

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Your Church and How you Serve in it

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I'm wondering how each person here participates in their church? The church of my childhood and youth is dying! We have few worker and few builders and many who want to attend, leave, and that's it. #-o

We used to have a church of 100+ and now it's 30-40. I'm praying for what God wants me to do. When I was attending school, I bounced around to the different churches but never felt like any of them needed me. I was one face of a thousand people. At this church, I feel like I could actually be useful and that God could use me to build and grow!

Any ideas for how to grow a dying church when you're a young person? And how do you all get involved? I think it's something so important and growing increasingly rare with our generation...
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Eugene Blackgaard
Amadeo killed me!

Post by Eugene Blackgaard »

I'm on staff at my church as the graphic designer and webmaster, I designed our website http://www.calvaryvista.com, and I design the weeklyn church bulletins. I also do flyers, calenders and posters for the Highschool and Jr. High ministries, or anyone who needs it. I'm also a Jr. High counselor at my church, I hang with the kids during sunday and wednesday church, disciple a few of the lads, go to the home fellowships and events, etc. I do puppet shows for the children's ministry, and am a volunteer Bible teacher at the School (our church is also a k-12 school).

I love serving in the church. :)
Last edited by Eugene Blackgaard on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToO Comic - #1|#2|#3|#4|#5|#6|Filler#1|Filler#2|#7|#8|#9

In the darkness the Motherhood silently bakes cake and knits sweaters with love in every stitch.
Call me Sergeant Pepper.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

At my church I am on the dance team and I help out with the little ones. :) I hope to get more involved soon.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Interesting question; we shall see if we can see. What's your motivation?
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Our family's church is a small home church with 6 families. I love the fellowship and the time we get to spend with the other saints. \:D/ We always have a lunch meal, so my sister, mom, and I serve by getting our house ready for the meeting, contributing food, etc. I also enjoy talking with and mentoring some of the younger girls. :) If my sister and are needed to help out, such as when one of the ladies recently had a baby, we are available for that.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

Josef1004 wrote:Interesting question; we shall see if we can see. What's your motivation?
Can you be more specific? Like, who are you asking and what your question is referring to? Do you mean, why does Sapphire dance? :anxious:
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by xiao »

I don't go to church! \:D/
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

xiao wrote:I don't go to church! \:D/
Lucky! *jealous* :x
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
I don't either. :neener:

I usually have to work. Otherwise I would.
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Baragon wrote:
jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:
I don't either. :neener:
Me neither \:D/.

Granted, it's because we don't have one here (well, not one that works for us, actually), but anyway.

So... I serve my church by.. not going :<.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

"Aw mom, no one else on the christian forum goes to church, why do I have to!!" :x

:P

Anyway, my church is fairly large and I run the media tech stuff in the back there... fun stuff.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Guess Who!
I'm memorable

Post by Guess Who! »

Media tech stuff can be really fun, when I lived at home I sometimes helped videotape the services. They edited it and would put it on satellite tv sometimes. Now that I've moved I don't go to church.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've helped out in the preschool room at my church for almost the entire time we've attended the church, which is over ten years. Whether it's been every week, every other, or here and there between being away for school has varied, but I've missed it when I've been away for a while! Right now I help every other week. It really is a joy! :D Now and then I help in other areas, but that's the main one.

It's great to see how dedicated some people are to their volunteer time at church! :D There are always lots of ways to get involved for people of various skills and interests, and the great thing is that God can use all of us.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I'm a notorious church-switcher; I really have no home church (though I have a bunch that I've attended and I have friends there), though my dad serves with a ministry that has Monday night meetings, which I don't go to, but do I attend the big meetings with the group leader that happen 2-3 times a year. Plus, my dad talks about the stuff at his meetings a lot, so I'm not spiritually deprived. :P Sometimes I go to church with my friend. Or I did, until I started getting stalked...

At my second-last church (I think I was there third to sixth grade?) I was involved with the drama group and the puppet team. \:D/

It might just be me, but why does it seem like guys always do the tech stuff at church? :-k
Josef1004
Classic

Post by Josef1004 »

Guys always do the tech stuff at church because that's the way it was done in the days of the apostles.

On a different note--someone wanted me to specify more detail about a question I asked earlier, but it was a general question, nothing and nobody specific.

On yet a third note:

What is a church, from a perspective based on God's revealed truth?
HORSE SENSE DWELLS IN A STABLE MIND.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

The church is Christ's body, his followers. But I think this thread is supposed to be about church as in the groups that get together every week, usually on a Sunday. :- And I can just imagine Paul asking Titus to run sound and lighting for him. :P
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Josef1004 wrote:Guys always do the tech stuff at church because that's the way it was done in the days of the apostles.
Because the apostles had tech stuff?
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

I honestly for the most part run the sound board. Once in a while when I'm needed I'll participate in a skit but those dont happen to often.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Jellyfish11 wrote:
Josef1004 wrote:Guys always do the tech stuff at church because that's the way it was done in the days of the apostles.
Because the apostles had tech stuff?
They used candles and a bed sheet, duh. ;)
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

I run the tech stuff. \:D/

...Because women are unfit to do anything that requires any kind of competence. :(

Actually, we tested some teenage girls in the sound room once. They FAILED. I think they just sat around and texted or something.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.