Interview with Paul McCusker!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Interview with Paul McCusker!

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Are you an Adventures in Odyssey fan?

Have you read one or all of the Passages books?

Are you excited about the upcoming release of Darien's Rise?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then you won't want to miss out on this exciting opportunity! To celebrate the official debut of Darien's Rise Sarah and I, hosts of the Unofficial Podcast, will be interviewing Paul McCusker next week! If you have any questions about Passages or Darien's Rise, post them here now!

Oh, and you won't have forever to submit questions. :x All questions must be received by Wednesday, September 16 at midnight ET.

Thank you, and goodnight.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Why did we have to suffer for so long to hear new episodes? :(
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Wow, very cool! :D I can't wait to hear the finished product at some point in the future!

My question is taken from Passages book 5, Draven's Defiance. One page 87 (under the old covers) a history book is referenced, with references to Emit ("Another child assisted Emit as he conquered parts of the land") and Chantall ("There was Chantall in the south, who battled with the Palatians"). I'm curious as to whether Emit represents Joshua, who Chantall represents, and if these names were included with the intent to write more books and/or include them in future AIO episodes. While I'm at it, I would love to know if my guess about Draven's name coming from the ravens who fed Elijah is correct. O:)

Also, is it hard to be such an evil genius, or does it just come naturally? :- (You can skip this one if you want.) ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Paul McCusker... why are you such a handsome fellow? :inlove:
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

How again did you get drafted to be one of the most notorious bad guys in AIO history?
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Phillip Glossman is my favorite villain of ALL TIME!! Why do you dislike playing him and WILL HE COME BACK?!
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

Jellyfish11 wrote:Phillip Glossman is my favorite villain of ALL TIME!! Why do you dislike playing him and WILL HE COME BACK?!
He was around last season.

*goes back to fast*
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Casey Doyle
Found

Post by Casey Doyle »

Were any of the characters(Kyle,Anna etc.) based on people you know in real life?
How much research would you say went into the writing of the Passages series?
Has your life been changed in any way by writing for or working with the Odyssey team?
Merry Christmas!
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Regis Blackbeard wrote:
Jellyfish11 wrote:Phillip Glossman is my favorite villain of ALL TIME!! Why do you dislike playing him and WILL HE COME BACK?!
He was around last season.

*goes back to fast*
That doesn't count. :(
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Okay, okay, I've got one... Dr. Dobson storms into your office and puts a gun to your head and is like "HEY! I DEMAND that you write an incredible awesome story that brings back Dr. Blackgaard!!!" So, if you HAD to do it, and do a good job at it, how would you write the return of Dr. Blackgaard?
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

The Top Crusader wrote:Okay, okay, I've got one... Dr. Dobson storms into your office and puts a gun to your head and is like "HEY! I DEMAND that you write an incredible awesome story that brings back Dr. Blackgaard!!!" So, if you HAD to do it, and do a good job at it, how would you write the return of Dr. Blackgaard?
Except, Dr. Dobson is not on staff at Focus anymore. :wink:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Oh, so if the crazy man with a gun doesn't work for your company, you won't listen to him? :noway:
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

The Top Crusader wrote:the crazy man with a gun
I've never seen Dr. Dobson described in quite this way before. \:D/

Jeremy
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Jeremy wrote:
The Top Crusader wrote:the crazy man with a gun
I've never seen Dr. Dobson described in quite this way before. \:D/

Jeremy
I thought ALL Americans were crazy men with guns.

Except the women.

But for reals, my question compliments Catspaw's: "How many other Passages ideas did you consider that were never written, and why weren't they?"
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

From where did the inspiration to write the Passages series come from?

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Catspaw wrote: While I'm at it, I would love to know if my guess about Draven's name coming from the ravens who fed Elijah is correct. O:)
^ To add to part of my previous post, I'd also like to hear more about the naming process in general. How were the names chosen? Were any changed because they didn't seem right or because too many people probably wouldn't figure it out? That kind of stuff.

Boswell, you forgot about the children. :( But very nice complimentary question - you can tell we're both complimentary Canadians! \:D/
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Will there ever be an Odyssey episode as fun and uplifting as your novel Catacombs?! \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

The Top Crusader wrote:Will there ever be an Odyssey episode as fun and uplifting as your novel Catacombs?! \:D/
I certainly hope not! :shame:
What kind of episode would kill off all the good guys and just leave some (potentially reformable) bad guy as the survivor at the end of things?!
I only read it once, several years ago, because reading it again would be too depressing. :( I think. ;) Go away, Top! :x Don't plant more evil ideas in his head!
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I always wanted to read Catacombs, but it's out of print. :sad:

Question:

C.S. Lewis has been mentioned many times in AIO, Screwtape Letters has, of course, been recently released, and Passages' concept is similar to that of The Chronicles of Narnia. What is it about Lewis' writing that interests you (and the AIO team) so much and has he influenced Odyssey writing?
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Catspaw wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Boswell, you forgot about the children.
What kind of maniac are you who gives guns to kids?! Kids don't get guns! Not until they're at least ten. :noway: