THE NEW SKILLET ALBUM CAME OUT YESTERDAY! WOOT!

Here's the place for discussing music, plays, YouTube videos, and any other media that doesn't quite fit in the other sections of Harlequin Theatre.
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

THE NEW SKILLET ALBUM CAME OUT YESTERDAY! WOOT!

Post by TigerintheShadows »

And obviously, Tiger went out, bought it, and has all the songs on her iPod.

Actually, I haven't gotten it yet (I've been very VERY busy lately) and I wanted to wait until people aren't flooding the local Lifeway.

But how do YOU feel about it? -is pulling bad Trent interview :lol:-
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I just bought it off of iTunes. \:D/
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

How. did. I. not. know. about. this.
TigerintheShadows wrote:But how do YOU feel about it? -is pulling bad Trent interview :lol:-
Trent never gives bad interviews. :noway:
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Mine came on saturday. Yay for preordering. :P
...I hate marquees.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I hate to burst your bubble, but it's not that good. :( I got mine the day it came out, and waws very disappointed. The only good songs on it are "Awake and Alive", "Forgiven", and "Never Surrender".

"Hero" is a little cliche, as is "Monster".

Now, I loved "Monster", until I heard the CD version. Right at the climax, Jon decided to make his voice sound all weird when he's saying "I feel like a monster!". He isn't screaming. That would've been awesome. But his voice is all thecnoed into this gravelly "monster-ish" voice. It ruins the song for me. :(

"It's Not Me It's You" is a harsh song. One line is you're the poisen in my veins.

"Should've When You Could've" is a break-up song.

"Sometimes" and "One Day Too Late" are renditions of "Say Goodbye" in an even less mature manner.

"Lucy" is also very good, though in a more sad way. It's a song generically for anyone who's lost someone.

So... that's what I think. Overall, it's pretty good. But it disappointed me. Hopefully this is their belated "sophomore slump", and the next album will be better. The fact that they took three years to come out with this kind of stinks...
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I like some of their songs but they are jerks in real life so I'll just download it or something. \:D/
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

Monster is a great song.

Awake's album art and the song "Monster" together make me think of the movie Darkman.

-Robert
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I'd buy it.. but I only like "Hero" (best song EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and I've never owned a Skillet CD... yeah, I know, I could start with Awaken... but, money is for books right now... so, no. I might buy it off iTunes one day... maybe.... at least "Hero"!

If Skillet made a CD that had all my fav songs of theirs on it... I'd be in heaven!!!!!!!! :)
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Trent DeWhite wrote:How. did. I. not. know. about. this.
TigerintheShadows wrote:But how do YOU feel about it? -is pulling bad Trent interview :lol:-
Trent never gives bad interviews. :noway:
Ahem.

Uh...uh, yeah, that's right, you had a blood...transfusion, uh, how did that make you feel?...What a...great reason to give -insert nervous laughter- blood!
Blood, Sweat, and Fears

That episode's my fave.

And how exactly do we know that they're jerks in real life? I'm serious--where'd this come from?

I LOVE Hero and Awake and Alive. The other songs are alright, but not as great as those last two... =D>
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Termite wrote:I hate to burst your bubble, but it's not that good. :( I got mine the day it came out, and waws very disappointed. The only good songs on it are "Awake and Alive", "Forgiven", and "Never Surrender".

"Hero" is a little cliche, as is "Monster".

Now, I loved "Monster", until I heard the CD version. Right at the climax, Jon decided to make his voice sound all weird when he's saying "I feel like a monster!". He isn't screaming. That would've been awesome. But his voice is all thecnoed into this gravelly "monster-ish" voice. It ruins the song for me. :(

"It's Not Me It's You" is a harsh song. One line is you're the poisen in my veins.

"Should've When You Could've" is a break-up song.

"Sometimes" and "One Day Too Late" are renditions of "Say Goodbye" in an even less mature manner.

"Lucy" is also very good, though in a more sad way. It's a song generically for anyone who's lost someone.

So... that's what I think. Overall, it's pretty good. But it disappointed me. Hopefully this is their belated "sophomore slump", and the next album will be better. The fact that they took three years to come out with this kind of stinks...
I disagree, I think it's a great album. Not quite as good as Comatose, that's for sure, but still pretty good. Awake and Alive is my favorite song, followed by Hero and Monster.. I think it could use some more variation if anything, their sound hasn't changed much since Comatose, which is weird. (seriously, this is the first album of theirs where their sound is very close to the last album.) Not my favorite, but still very good. I wasn't disappointed. ;)
...I hate marquees.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Termite wrote:
"Hero" is a little cliche
Okay, I have to disagree with this one part. Cliche?

There is no way anyone could ever "express a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse". Especially the message "Hero" portrays. You want people to stop spreading the gospel? To stop telling that they need a "hero", a "Savior"? Christ is our Hero, our Savior. Skillet has been amazing at getting that point across.

By saying its cliche, you're basically saying people of all kinds should stop proclaiming it. Then you stop God's plan that was set in place long before Adam and Eve sinned, and... while you can't stop it, you sure say it.

So, yes, I disagree 100%. "Hero" is just another way of saying we need someone to save us. Which is 100% true. (Or do you disagree about what Christ did for us? Just a question... I'm not judging you.)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Thank you TigerintheShadows for letting us know! I was at a loss for what to get my sister for her birthday, but as soon as I opened this thread it just... came to me! \:D/

I'm looking forward to listening to the songs myself... I haven't listened too much to their last couple CDs, but enough to know that I like them pretty well. :yes:
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

*bump* So I would have responded earlier if I had been in town. \:D/ But here it is, better late then never, no?
J-man wrote:I disagree, I think it's a great album. Not quite as good as Comatose, that's for sure, but still pretty good. Awake and Alive is my favorite song, followed by Hero and Monster.. I think it could use some more variation if anything, their sound hasn't changed much since Comatose, which is weird. (seriously, this is the first album of theirs where their sound is very close to the last album.) Not my favorite, but still very good. I wasn't disappointed. ;)
Eh. It's not bad, but it's not great. I was expecting better lyrics, that's all. That's why I was disappointed. And a better sound. The music was too much like Comatose on a couple of songs, like you said.

DAM wrote:Okay, I have to disagree with this one part. Cliche?

There is no way anyone could ever "express a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse". Especially the message "Hero" portrays. You want people to stop spreading the gospel? To stop telling that they need a "hero", a "Savior"? Christ is our Hero, our Savior. Skillet has been amazing at getting that point across.

By saying its cliche, you're basically saying people of all kinds should stop proclaiming it. Then you stop God's plan that was set in place long before Adam and Eve sinned, and... while you can't stop it, you sure say it.

So, yes, I disagree 100%. "Hero" is just another way of saying we need someone to save us. Which is 100% true. (Or do you disagree about what Christ did for us? Just a question... I'm not judging you.)
So did I say the lyrics were cliche? I only said the song was "a little cliche", to quote myself. Perhaps I should have specified. It was too pop like, and sounded like something my 11 year old cousin would like. I expect Skillet to have a harder, rock sound aimed at teenagers. The lyrics were better than most of the sounds (excluding A&A, Monster, and Forgiven), but I just didn't really like it. The lyrics can be good, but the tone of the music sets a lot for me. *shrugs*

Did I say I wanted the gospel stopped being spread? Heck no. And I didn't say people should stop proclaiming it. That's putting words in my mouth, which I don't appreciate. As I said before, perhaps I should have specified. And perhaps "cliche" wasn't the best word to use. But it was the best one that I could think of.

I know you're not trying to judge me DAM, but still that was harsh. But you don't really know me that well, so I don't really care. *shrugs*

We left for New York that day. I was wound up and tense. Sorry for not making the best of sense. =P
Last edited by Termite on Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
the_newfie_haystack
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by the_newfie_haystack »

I finally managed to get my hand on this album today courtesy of my sister. I LOVE IT! Best songs are "Hero", "Monster", "Awake and Alive" and "Dead Inside", IMO.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting." -- E. E. Cummings
Samurai Neil
Popsicle kid

Post by Samurai Neil »

Skillet is pretty good, and I liked the new album, but I heard it at a friends house, so I can't pass judgment yet.
COMING SOON: RANDOM ECONOMY TEXTBOOK QUOTES
Macnut
No way I broke the window
Location: At Whit's End, sipping a milkshake and talking with Connie

Post by Macnut »

TigerintheShadows wrote:And how exactly do we know that they're jerks in real life? I'm serious--where'd this come from?
Okay...not really a fan of Skillet but I don't think they're jerks either. Just my opinion. I actually met John Cooper for the first time the other day. He's a very pleasant fellow...not to mention hilarious.

--------------------------------------------
"I’m done and finished with low living, sight walking, small planning,
smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap
living, and dwarfed goals...I am a disciple of Jesus."
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Guys, most of the time Top will be kidding. ;) I'm guessing this is one of those times.

So... I LOVE the "Monster" music video. \:D/ The one for "Hero" was ok, but since I still don't like the song it didn't impress me too much. *shrugs*
Love you always, SnC
Ben Linus
I've been working out

Post by Ben Linus »

Now I'm totally pumped; I'm getting the CD for my birthday (Along with a AWESOME Skillet Tshirt), and even though I'm getting a mixed response here, I think it'll still be cool. Although I'm a bit doubtful that even they can outdo their pure amazingness in their other two albums 'Comatose' and 'Collide' . There's not a song on those two CD's I don't like :D
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches