Twilight: Love Story or Occultic Horror Flick?

Discuss the books that have taken even second-grade girls by storm

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
TigerintheShadows
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Twilight: Love Story or Occultic Horror Flick?

Post by TigerintheShadows »

Okay, seriously, SECOND-GRADERS?

That's what I asked my mother (who is a librarian at our local elementary school) when she told me and my brother about seeing even the second-graders walking around with Twilight books in hand.

This. Is. A. Problem.

To me, at the least. But what about you guys? How do you feel about the books about Mary-Sue-with-inferiority-complex meets Gary-Stu-with-fangs and falls-madly-in-love-even-after-Stu-with-fangs-tells-her-she-doesn't-want-to-do-what-she-wants-to-do?

Personally, I LOATHE them. Seriously. Almost all of my friends (who are my age) are Twilight fangirls, and often talk about how hot they think Taylor Lautner is and how hot they think Robert Pattinson isn't (I think the latter was better as Cedric Diggory). Now, every time I hear the word "Twilight," I think of two chalk-white-Voldymeter-hands holding an apple.

I even remember my brother talking about this sort of fangirl issue (he shares my opinions):

SCENARIO (cue BTV harp sound):

Girl: I want to have a Volvo.

Teacher: A Volvo? Most people would settle for a car.

Girl: Edward Cullen's Volvo.

My brother: :bang:

So what do you peeps think about it?
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
"And now the spinning. Thank you for nothing, you useless reptile."
"It unscrews the other way."
AIO tumblr sideblog
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I could not (and still can't) get into Twilight. I was only able to read up to chapter 17 of the first book. I only read that much because a cousin had read the first book and recommended the series to me. That was last year and I still have not made any attempt to read the entire series. Vampires are not what I enjoy reading about. Romances yes, but not with vampires. I have not, nor will I see the movie(s). If people enjoy them fine, I'll listen if they want to talk about the series and the movies, but don't expect me to share in the excitement because I don't care for it at all.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

I've never tried reading them, because, well...because I'm not an adolescent girl.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Blah. I agree, Tiger. :yes: Horror + Evil + Vampires + Obsession with blood + Inappropriate romance = Not for me. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
TigerintheShadows

American Eagle + Laurie: You gahs RAWK.

Boswell, here's what basically happens in the books (I've never read past the first one, but that's another story for another post):

Mary-Sue-with-inferiority-complex moves from big town to little town. Sue-with-inferiority-complex spends half her time complaining about said little town. Sue meets Gary-Stu-with-fangs and thinks he's hot, but he ignores her. They fall madly in love, he tells her he ignored her because he's madly in love with her, he saves her butt from some evil vampire stalker, they go to this dance (I think it's the prom, but I can't remember), a few months later, Stu-with-fangs leaves, Sue becomes vegetable without refrigeration, falls in love with werewolf (Lupin plays the role SO much better), chooses Stu, they have more misadventures, get married, have child, werewolf imprints on child, and then more misadventures occur until they all live happily ever after (and up to this ending point, Stu continuously tells Sue that she does not want fangs, but she will not listen even though she knows he knows what he's talking about. This changes when he has to give her fangs).

So yeah. Ludicrous much?
"Death's got an Invisibility Cloak?" "So he can sneak up on people. Sometimes he gets bored of running at them, flapping his arms and shrieking..."
AIO tumblr sideblog
NateMaxwell
My posts are revolutionary

Post by NateMaxwell »

Twilight is for 12 year old girls who are dumb blondes.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

No, 12 year old girls do not need to be reading the books. No one under the age of 13/14 should read them. Too much depression involved for pre-teens. :noway: Too much depression for me, and not much bothers me.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Hey guys quit criticizing my first published work. :noway:
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Top Crusader wrote:Hey guys quit criticizing my first published work. :noway:
I assume your most recent work was Romeo and Juliet... :roll:
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Boswell wrote:I've never tried reading them, because, well...because I'm not an adolescent girl.
Not all adolescent girls read them... don't generalize the whole world, please.

Nice comeback Top.. hahaha..... if only you were Stephanie Meyer...

I couldn't say 2nd graders could or would be reading them.. should be... cause, I would never have been able to read a book of the caliber in 2nd grade.... ever. And its not like I'm illiterate, mind you. Senior in HS, I know writing and words and can read... but for a 2nd grader? Its not a bed time story, if that's what you think. They would never be able to read a book like that on their own.

Let me rephrase that. My two very literate, very amazing best friends are only 7th graders. I couldn't say they could read the Twilight books... But, then again, they aren't even allowed to read past The Boxcar Children books and their text books...

But, honestly, 2nd graders? I don't care if they read them or not... I don't think they would be able to! Preteens maybe (11 and up) might be able to... content aside. Content is another matter.. the books are lame anyway. Its like trying to figure out the difference between Harry Potter and Twilight. Which is worse? Love comes on in HP too. But I don't hear anyone complaining about them.... even within the three years I've been on here....

Can I ask one question: Why is everyone so against Twilight? Yeah, its dumb... so?
TigerintheShadows

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
Boswell wrote:I've never tried reading them, because, well...because I'm not an adolescent girl.

Nice comeback Top.. hahaha..... if only you were Stephanie Meyer...

I couldn't say 2nd graders could or would be reading them.. should be... cause, I would never have been able to read a book of the caliber in 2nd grade.... ever. And its not like I'm illiterate, mind you. Senior in HS, I know writing and words and can read... but for a 2nd grader? Its not a bed time story, if that's what you think. They would never be able to read a book like that on their own.

Let me rephrase that. My two very literate, very amazing best friends are only 7th graders. I couldn't say they could read the Twilight books... But, then again, they aren't even allowed to read past The Boxcar Children books and their text books...

But, honestly, 2nd graders? I don't care if they read them or not... I don't think they would be able to! Preteens maybe (11 and up) might be able to... content aside. Content is another matter.. the books are lame anyway. Its like trying to figure out the difference between Harry Potter and Twilight. Which is worse? Love comes on in HP too. But I don't hear anyone complaining about them.... even within the three years I've been on here....

Can I ask one question: Why is everyone so against Twilight? Yeah, its dumb... so?
I'm not really ticked off about it because it's dumb, even though it is.

Now, you say no one complains about Harry Potter. That's because it's not only WELL-WRITTEN (Rowling would totally OWN Meyer), but the line between fantasy and reality is not so thickly veiled. When reading Potter, you're very aware that it's a fantasy. Sure, it's set in a real place, and sure, the story ties all events and things in the plot together, but you can still tell what is and what isn't fantasy.

Now, we can certainly tell that Twilight is also just that--fantasy. But what Bella does isn't. For example, she is completely infatuated with this vampire, even once telling him, "If you stay, I don't need heaven." Um. Right.

She is so obsessed with Edward that she cares little for her own soul, and she is very eager to marry and have sex (the latter more so than the former). This all seems to teach teenage girls (and adult women)--most of whom are very impressionable--that you should do anything to get the guy. Anything. And these fifteen year olds are probably going to get into the mindset that they can marry and/or have sex at a young age and have everything get a happily-ever-after ending simply because it happens to Bella.

"Aw, you're just overreacting, Tiger."

Sadly, I'm not. Teenage girls and young adult women are VERY impressionable, and no one really knows more than the women and girls themselves.

And now we get into ludicrous mode (I think I've used that word more here than I have anywhere else :lol:). She wants, more than just about anything, to become a vampire, even to the point of not listening to the guy who actually knows what he's talking about. What a smart little child you are, Bella!

BEST STORYLINE EVAR:

Edward Cullen meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. XDDDDD

And if Top were Stephenie Meyer, there probably would be no Twilight. Or, at least, it would be MUCH better than it is.

And has anyone ever stopped to notice that this whole thing is written by a MORMON? You'd think she would be writing about a girl KILLING a vampire, not falling in love with one. :?
AIO tumblr sideblog
NateMaxwell
My posts are revolutionary

Post by NateMaxwell »

:shock: A Mormon! *Remembers Great Brain Series*
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

TigerintheShadows wrote:
And if Top were Stephenie Meyer, there probably would be no Twilight. Or, at least, it would be MUCH better than it is.
Weelllll... yeah that's a good point. \:D/

I haven't read it and I don't have interest in doing so--but I have no initial problem with it as long as people don't obsess over it. But there isn't really much of anything that should be obsessed over (I see people obsessing over Dekker novels all the time and that's just as bad IMO, despite the slight Christian morals involved in his work).
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
I'm not saying that all adolescent girls read them, only that everyone who reads them are adolescent girls. And book critics.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:...The Boxcar Children books and their text books...
FTW! \:D/
TigerintheShadows wrote:Now, you say no one complains about Harry Potter. That's because it's not only WELL-WRITTEN (Rowling would totally OWN Meyer), but the line between fantasy and reality is not so thickly veiled. When reading Potter, you're very aware that it's a fantasy. Sure, it's set in a real place, and sure, the story ties all events and things in the plot together, but you can still tell what is and what isn't fantasy.
I've still not made up my mind about these books. I've read all seven, and found them enjoyable reads, but I'm not sure whether they're really good or not. They're fun, and while they occasionally bring up and teach some important lessons, those lessons are by no means coming from anything resembling a Christian source. But this is off topic. Back to you, Twilight!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

The Top Crusader wrote:(I see people obsessing over Dekker novels all the time and that's just as bad IMO, despite the slight Christian morals involved in his work).
Slight? :noway: =P

Not all of us are impressionable, of course. But, being a teen female, I can atone to what he said. After I read the first book the first time, I enjoyed it immensely. (though it might have been more of satisfaction as my dad didn't know I read it. :- ) Now, I didn't even like the romance, and it didn't impress me much at all ( :tongue2: So I like to play with words. Bite me.), but I still liked it. The second time through, I realized how morally wrong it was. And the cussing really got to me by the third book. Jacob needs to wash his mouth out with soap. :noway:

Twilight brings a whole new meaning to the phrase: EPIC FAIL
Last edited by Termite on Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

NateMaxwell wrote::shock: A Mormon! *Remembers Great Brain Series*
John Dennis Fitzgerald was a Catholic who grew up in a Mormon town-- Adenville, Utaha.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

Boswell wrote: They're fun, and while they occasionally bring up and teach some important lessons, those lessons are by no means coming from anything resembling a Christian source. But this is off topic. Back to you, Twilight!
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that what your saying here that we can only learn important lessons from christian sources. I would have to disagree with you in that point, if that is what you mean. granted the most important lessons are from those sources (I'm referring to the bible primarily) but I dont think that only through christian books and the bible can important lessons be learned.
TigerintheShadows

Lord S has a point there--not every good lesson comes from a Christian source, although, when you think about it, all the good stuff in the world, including lessons to be learned, all come back to Christ.
KODY 105 wrote:
NateMaxwell wrote::shock: A Mormon! *Remembers Great Brain Series*
John Dennis Fitzgerald was a Catholic who grew up in a Mormon town-- Adenville, Utaha.
Just to clear up any misunderstanding that might occur from reading a previous post of mine:

I'm NOT saying in ANY WAY that Mormons are these horrible, corrupt people. I'm saying that it is VERY interesting that she's a Mormon writing about an occultic being falling in love with a girl, and vice versa. When I vision a Mormon writing about vampires, I vision a Mormon writing about a girl killing one, not falling in love with him. I would find the subject just as interesting if this author were a Christian (granted, there would be a FAR less chance of a Christian writing Twilight, but still).

And for those of you who MIGHT POSSIBLY still doubt the Twilight series being a bad read, read the December '08 issue of Brio magazine. It's got two fantastic sections, one in the "High Voltage" article and one in a two-pager "Should You Read the Twilight Series?" article.
AIO tumblr sideblog
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

As someone who read the first book (yeah, yeah, I know ;)) yes, they are poorly written. And yes, you can dig out a few virtuous notes to string into a decent, passably moral theme, if you really want to bother.

That aside the film was bad. No, really, it was AWFUL. I still miss those two hours of my life that I'll never get back. :(
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Lord Sesshoumaru wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me that what your saying here that we can only learn important lessons from christian sources. I would have to disagree with you in that point, if that is what you mean. granted the most important lessons are from those sources (I'm referring to the bible primarily) but I dont think that only through christian books and the bible can important lessons be learned.
That's not quite what I meant. I know that God can use anybody, but one must always consider the source. It's easy to accept truths from a pastor, but when reading the works of a pro-homosexuality author who is a member of the public-pleasing, "open to new ideas" Church of Scotland, one must be on their guard about what is being taught. You could draw parallels between reading J.K. Rowling's books and the story of The One About Trust.