The Washingtons vs. The Barclays

The Smackdown!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!

Which do you think is the best AIO family?

The Washington Family
9%
The Barclay Family
66%
I Like them Both! :yes:
25%

Total votes: 32

Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

The Washingtons vs. The Barclays

Post by Eugene »

Greetings and salutations fellow ToOers!

I have noticed much debating going on around here about which family was the most successful and most loved, especially over these two families. So, I thought that it would be interesting to have a thread to debate which family is the best!

My take:
I actually think that both of these families were and are super great, but I like them each for different reasons.

The Barclays were the first major family that AIO focused on. It was the greatest combination of mischief, trouble, love, fun, and sibling rivalary. This combination made for great stories and great lessons, but also was very fun to listen to. This family has also been around longer, and were on the show from almost the very beginning.

On the other hand, there are the Washingtons. This crazy family is also a great mix of fun, lessons, and super personalities. Some of my favourite stories have involved this family, and I like having a new family that's fresh and fun! They have many talents, and brought great joy and comedy to the show. Each member of this family is so different from one another, but they are a great family that live out life to the fullest.

It's a really hard decision for me, especially since I am a new Odyssian, and haven't grown up with the Barclays. But I want to know what everyone else thinks, so vote in the poll and tell us which family you like.

So, which is your favourite, and why do you like them? Or are you like me, and like them both? Debate below! \:D/

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

The Barclays, for sure. Pokenberry Falls were like my favorite episodes growing up, and they had such awesome family fights. \:D/ Plus, Jimmy will always be a favorite character.

I'm not a big fan of the Washington family; I like Xavier (somewhat), but the rest of the family sort of annoys me. Marvin = whiny kid, Tamika = nagging girl, Mom = ?, Dad = perfect. :-k With that being said, some of their episodes have been cool (like Tin Flat), and they're certainly better than nothing. :D
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

While I realize the Barclays are the classic, I voted for both because I enjoy the dynamics in both families. :)
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

The Barclays.

They've just got too many classic points, from Zappazoids, to vacation, to moving, to vacation, to not moving, to jobs, to angels, to vacation, to It's A Wonderful Life, to another child, to another vacation!

Plus this thread can't really be a debate, because I think it will come down to everyone's opinion.
Last edited by Irwin on Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

The Barclays are better for a reason I cannot explain.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Barclay's... I never found a connection with the Washington's... just didn't like them much. Marvin was okay, in certain episodes... Tamika was a normal teenager... ugh... too normal... and I couldn't say much about the parents...

Barclay's had so much more. Donna (normal kid... but something added to that), Jimmy was the best! :), and George was everything you could ask for.... Mary was pretty cool. When Stuart came along... :) I wish we could hear from that kid more... oh well.
Sapphire
A Beautiful Gem
Post by Sapphire »

The Barclays are my favorite family, but the Washingtons are the funniest family! \:D/
Last edited by Sapphire on Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again." ― C.S. Lewis
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Hmm. Well, let me put things in perspective. I personally found the Washingtons to have more bad episodes than good episodes. This is just off the top of my memory: (and for it to be a Washington or Barclay episode, I basically said that at least two members has to be in the episode)

BEST WASHINGTON EPISODES:

5. The Family Next Door + The Toy Man
4. The Defining Moment
3. Sunday Morning Scramble
2. Mystery at Tin Flat
1. No Way Out (1-2)

TOP WORST WASHINGTON EPISODES:

5. License to Deprive + A Date with Dad
4. Switch
3. The Poor Rich Guy
2. My Favorite Thing
1. The Coolest Dog

The biggest different is that when the Washingtons were bad...they were really bad...I really just couldn't stand to listen to them. The kids simply were written these poor one liners. They retained the same problems as when they started; that they weren't very realistic, but just tried to be funny. There episodes with Kelly, I found, weren't very well done near the end, but they weren't the worst episodes.

The Barclays:

Well, this is hard, because most of the best Odyssey episodes were Barclay Episodes! I mean, seriously, let's look back

Best Barclay Episodes:

Family Vacation I
Family Vacation II
Heroes
Peace on Earth
The Prodigal, Jimmy
Two Sides to Every Story
The Very Best of Friends
The Visitors
The Barclay Ski Vacation
Castles and Cauldrons
Our Father
Into Temptation
Moses: The Passover
Someone to Watch Over Me
Into Temptation
Aloha, Oy! I
Aloha, Oy! II
Aloha, Oy! III
A Prayer for George Barclay
Making the Grade
George Under Pressure
A Call for Reverend Jimmy
Unto us a Child is Born
Preacher's Kid
Pokenberry Falls, R.F.D. I
Pokenberry Falls, R.F.D. II

Worst Barclay Episodes:
Connie Goes to Camp
Our Best Vacation Ever
Thanksgiving at Home
Pet Peeves

The Episodes dealt with many real issues with real conversations. Jimmy and his dad had the best conversations that I still remember, and they were so real. Mr. Washington seemed to just not understand his kids.

Maybe I'm biased, sure, but I just think that there were overall more and better episodes. The Washingtons had potential at the beginning. I found the struggle with Xavier to be poignant and interesting. Mr. Washington's conversation with Xavier in The Tin flat episode was very good, but what did they do? They got rid of the guy!
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Of course the Barcleys will always me the most memorable,but I like the Washingtons because they're sooo cool and funny.Wish they could stay on longer.
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Since I actually got to know the Washingtons before the Barcalys (On account of my listening to the series pratctically in reverse order) I may be biased... But I really have come to love the Washingtons. I mean, I really disliked them at first, then slowly grew to love them. Somehow that seems to count more than simply loving the family from the start. Eh, I may not be making sense here. Well, you get the idea.

On a side note, pfft. I just more than doubled my money with this one and another post... I have not made much posts since the reset. :p
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

The Barclays hands down are my favorite.

For one thing, I love every single episode that they are in and, secondly, they've played such a huge part in making Odyssey what it is now.

The Washingtons can never have what the Barclays have. Nonetheless, I really like some of their episodes but they'll never be in the same level as, say, Aloha Oy...
I do what I do.
nickerlas
Lurker

Post by nickerlas »

DEFINITELY the barclays.. after all, jimmy is my favourite charactor. i especially love the early episode where jimmy and donna give contrasting tales on what happened when their parents went out. what ep was that again? it was also where oscar blew the tv.. haha
and my favourite barclay one - ALoha Oy. HAHAHAHA. HIlARioUS
nic
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

nickerlas wrote:I especially love the early episode where Jimmy and Donna give contrasting tales on what happened when their parents went out. What episode was that again? It was also the one where Oscar blew up the TV... haha.
That was Two Sides to Every Story. :smile:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I feel it's unfair to compare the two since they are entirely separate families, each with their own unique personalities.

Plus, because the Barclay family came first, it's only natural that people are going to be biased toward them. It's not unlike movies, such as A New Hope or Raiders of the Lost Arc. Most people would agree that the original films are better than their sequels. Such is the case with families on Odyssey.

But for what it's worth, I voted for the Barclays. :-
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Bennett wrote:Worst Barclay Episodes:
Connie Goes to Camp
Our Best Vacation Ever
Thanksgiving at Home
Pet Peeves
I love "Our Best Vacation Ever." :noway:
Trent DeWhite wrote:It's not unlike movies, such as A New Hope or Raiders of the Lost Arc. Most people would agree that the original films are better than their sequels. Such is the case with families on Odyssey.
:noway:

...unless, that is, you're talking about the original trilogies, not just the first movies... and if so, it's because they are better. :yes:

And The Lost Arc? :hilarious:

Back on topic.

It's probably no surprise that I prefer the Barclays. I've been able to relate to them more than the Washingtons. In fact, most of the Barclay family episodes are among my favorites. I can't say the same for the Washingtons, though they do have their moments, and I particularly like Ed and Xavier.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

LizzieG wrote:
Connie Goes to Camp
Our Best Vacation Ever
Thanksgiving at Home
Pet Peeves
Complete agreement. It's not that I suddenly want my family to have a vacation at home, I just love all the laughs I get from that show. :lol:

I never hear enough love for Elaine Washington. :noway: She's a better character than Mary Barclay and her actress is terrific. :D
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Chandlah wrote:
LizzieG wrote:
Our Best Vacation Ever
Complete agreement. It's not that I suddenly want my family to have a vacation at home, I just love all the laughs I get from that show. :lol:
Thirded. Not to mention that's the episode from which the Wod-Fam-Choc-Sod was birthed. ;)
LizzieG wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:It's not unlike movies, such as A New Hope or Raiders of the Lost Ark. Most people would agree that the original films are better than their sequels. Such is the case with families on Odyssey.
:noway:

...unless, that is, you're talking about the original trilogies, not just the first movies... and if so, it's because they are better. :yes:
Yes, exactly. :x
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

LizzieG wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:It's not unlike movies, such as A New Hope or Raiders of the Lost Arc.
And The Lost Arc? :hilarious:
Of course, haven't you heard? There's a little known one-hundred-fifty-part episode that they never released. In it, it is revealed that Officer Harley is The Chairman (he permanently damaged his vocal cords), and he's conspiring with Richard Maxwell to get back on the show.
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

I'd say that the Barclays are definitely better because they were more of a believable realistic family. The Washingtons come across as being there to deliver a punchline for laughing's sake. I also find the Washington kids to act caddy, disrespectful, and annoying sometimes, yet I still like them.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Eugene
Official Brainiac
Official Brainiac

Post by Eugene »

One of my most favourite Washington episodes is Switch! It's so funny when Marvin calls "Honey! I'm home!" when he walks in the door! :lol: And the role that Whit plays in the switch is also great, especially the part where he is the bill collectors and girl guide! \:D/ Overall it was a very great episode, I'd have to say.

"Don't fuss with me." WHY;