Are you excited about school starting/started?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!

Poll ended at Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Yeeeesss!!!
75%
Sort of?
No votes
No way!!
25%

Total votes: 12

Casey Doyle
Found

Post by Casey Doyle »

???
Merry Christmas!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Oh yeah definitely... less kids around if I go shopping during the day! \:D/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I wish it had started today!!!!!! I can't wait a week! I want my friends... :)
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Of course :noway:
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I have hardly any social life when school's out. My friends are all busy or else I am when they aren't, so I can't wait to see my friends again.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Not really; too much senioritis, too little enjoyment of Midwest weather, not enough motivation for classes. But at least I'll have proximity to friends. :yes: I never really got too attached to my academic institution in general. And I've pretty much realized that I'm in the wrong major. At least I only have one year left, though! :D

...unless I decide to stay an extra year for the "right" major. But almost everything in me rebels against the idea. :noway:
Casey Doyle
Found

Post by Casey Doyle »

I guess I am because I haven't seen some very close friends in a long time.
Merry Christmas!
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

I'm not! I don't see my friends as much during the school year, as most of them are homeschoolers too. \:D/
he/him | attorney | spartan | christian | bleeding heart type

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Yeah, thats one downside to homeschooling. You don't socialize as much. (Except at church and like... other functions you probably socialize).

I can't wait for tonight and Sunday and Monday! Senior picnic, registration, SCHOOL! (And my best friend comes up Saturday! WOOHOO!)
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

American Eagle wrote:I'm not! I don't see my friends as much during the school year, as most of them are homeschoolers too. \:D/
Oh, that's so not true for me! (Well, it wasn't...it kind of doesn't apply anymore.) But yeah, I used to take a bunch of my classes with other homeschoolers, many of which are really close friends, so I'd get to see them sometimes 3 times a week. But in the summer, I have to schedule out time to see them, and sometimes it doesn't work out - there are friends I haven't seen all summer who I used to see all the time during the school year. Haha, and the socializing argument is so old - most homeschoolers I know are better at socializing than kids who go to "real school". They're more friendly, at least.

Oh, yeah, and I'm really excited about starting school! I leave for college tomorrow!
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I was just in class. (Posting on the ToO during English ftw).

I <3 my English teacher and her 20 minute classes. :inlove:
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

And *that's* why the coming generation of human beings can't speak English! \:D/
don't forget the rain.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Stubborn wrote:And *that's* why the coming generation of human beings can't speak English! \:D/
Are not you part of this great, up-and-coming generation as well? ;)

Although this talk about generations reminds of that Bible verse about "a perverse and wicked generation" who keeps thinking that they are improving the world and such...
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I'm part of the now generation...you guys are the upcoming ones. :x and i be speekin' englash prefect thanx u. :noway:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Unless you get hit by a bus! :x ...or something.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'm extremely excited about school starting... it'll be the first time in 16 years that I won't be participating. \:D/
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

Not particularly.
I am also not particularly not excited, though.
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Jugglah, I agree! Go walk up to 1/2+ of public schoolers and try to talk to them... they don't know how (the same was true of my all-public schooled driver's ed class). I was the most social one among 30+ public schoolers, and I had to answer all the teacher's questions. \:D/

Note: My past posts do not necessarily reflect my values. Many of them were made when I was young and (in retrospect) misguided. If you identify a post that expresses misinformation, prejudice, or anything harmful, please let me know.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

American Eagle wrote:Jugglah, I agree! Go walk up to 1/2+ of public schoolers and try to talk to them... they don't know how (the same was true of my all-public schooled driver's ed class). I was the most social one among 30+ public schoolers, and I had to answer all the teacher's questions. \:D/

No offense, but I think you're grouping just about everyone together when you say this. Maybe its cause the West Coast has smaller schools, everyone can get to know each other. But, I know plenty of Public schoolers who can socialize.

And I don't think its "how" you socialize, its what, where, when, why you socialize. Not everyone is perfect in the socializing area (like me!) Certain settings scare people (and school can be one of them.) WHen you're not surrounded by a million people it seems, you can get more comfortable, but walking into soemthing like that, you don't know how. If you've been there your whole life, you might have never learned, or just don't care. Not to generalize all public schools, but most of them have really large class sizes, and its a ratio of like 1:30. That's bad. In homeschooling, you have a ratio of 1:1, or maybe a little higher, but that's good.

You learn socializing skills. Or you don't. I wouldn't be so rude, which is what you're sounding like, no offense.

(Most people don't answer questions cause its actually quite scary. It has nothing to do with socializing. I don't like to do it, but I do sometimes. Makes me freak out cause I just showed off to the whole class, and I don't want to be found out as a smart-alik (which I'm basically made out to be when I speak out).

No, I'm not in public school. But its not different from Private school apart from the education. You get a very different environment when you're homeschooling. Not saying its bad, and that it doesn't prepare you, but you have to step into someone elses shoe's to understand fully. Experience it yourself. You make people look stupid when you say no one knows how to socialize and that public school and private school are wrong and don't prepare you. Totally the opposite. It depends on the individual.
American Eagle
Chief of Police
Post by American Eagle »

Danielle Abigail Maxwell wrote:
American Eagle wrote:Jugglah, I agree! Go walk up to 1/2+ of public schoolers and try to talk to them... they don't know how (the same was true of my all-public schooled driver's ed class). I was the most social one among 30+ public schoolers, and I had to answer all the teacher's questions. \:D/

No offense, but I think you're grouping just about everyone together when you say this. Maybe its cause the West Coast has smaller schools, everyone can get to know each other. But, I know plenty of Public schoolers who can socialize.

And I don't think its "how" you socialize, its what, where, when, why you socialize. Not everyone is perfect in the socializing area (like me!) Certain settings scare people (and school can be one of them.) WHen you're not surrounded by a million people it seems, you can get more comfortable, but walking into soemthing like that, you don't know how. If you've been there your whole life, you might have never learned, or just don't care. Not to generalize all public schools, but most of them have really large class sizes, and its a ratio of like 1:30. That's bad. In homeschooling, you have a ratio of 1:1, or maybe a little higher, but that's good.

You learn socializing skills. Or you don't. I wouldn't be so rude, which is what you're sounding like, no offense.

(Most people don't answer questions cause its actually quite scary. It has nothing to do with socializing. I don't like to do it, but I do sometimes. Makes me freak out cause I just showed off to the whole class, and I don't want to be found out as a smart-alik (which I'm basically made out to be when I speak out).

No, I'm not in public school. But its not different from Private school apart from the education. You get a very different environment when you're homeschooling. Not saying its bad, and that it doesn't prepare you, but you have to step into someone elses shoe's to understand fully. Experience it yourself. You make people look stupid when you say no one knows how to socialize and that public school and private school are wrong and don't prepare you. Totally the opposite. It depends on the individual.
O..k... where did I say this? I didn't. I said more than "1/2+" of public schoolers aren't [as social as most homeschoolers I know, especially myself/my family]. I'm sure that many public schoolers socialize (perhaps moreso on the west coast), but not around here.