GREEN

Ted Dekker's new thriller

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Sorry about that, Invisible Ninja. I tried not to give away any spoilers... I don't think I did. :anxious:
Termite wrote:Have you read the Paradise Novels or The Lost Books? Having read them, it gave it all a new perspective.
Nope. I have a friend whose has read all the other ones, and she says that really helped her enjoy Green a lot. Which is precisely why I was disappointed with the book. You shouldn't have to have already read four or five other additional books in order to enjoy a new one. Dekker employs so much referencing to earlier novels that he ends up creating a novel that almost isn't strong enough as a stand-alone story.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

That's why all of them together are called The Books of History. Those three series were made to fit together. Green wasn't supposed to stand alone. It was supposed to be the beginning and the end. *shrugs* Aside form that, he has plenty of stand-alones. \:D/
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Fang-wa
Avian American
Avian American

Post by Fang-wa »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Sorry about that, Invisible Ninja. I tried not to give away any spoilers... I don't think I did. :anxious:
No you didn't, just a request to everyone as a whole. You're doing fine. ;)
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

I liked this book up until the last chapter.
So what happened to Samuel? And what are the theological implications? Did he loose his salvation? And so Thomas is doomed to repeat his life for eternity? What kind of ending is that?
Last edited by Elrohir on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

I believe Samuel was saved. He repented toward the end.

And I actually like the ending, to be perfectly honest. :- I guess his life only repeats as many times as you yourself read Green. ;) I can see how it could be a bad ending, though... :-k
Last edited by Termite on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein