Lord of the Rings

Discuss FoTR, TTT, and RoTK!

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!

Are you a fan of LoTR?

Can you spell YES?!
70%
It's okay.
10%
Only if I'm watching the movies . . .
10%
Only if I'm reading the books . . .
3%
LoTR?
8%

Total votes: 40

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Lord of the Rings

Post by Trent DeWhite »

What are you feelings toward J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings? Have you read the book? If so, how many times? Watched the movies? Your views and opinons?
Sarah
Someone's favorite

Post by Sarah »

I read the books last year, and I'm thinking about reading them again. They took me so long to read them though, I'm a bit hesitant... :P

The movies were wonderfully made, and had great effects. :P

*leaves a pool behind her from drooling over Legolas* (/orlando bloom ;))

Sarah
Sonuna
ion cannon ready

Post by Sonuna »

I'm a bookie fangirl. FotR was my favorite of the movies, although the battle scenes were pretty cool in all of the movies...

...well, I hated the movies for what they did to Faramir. But besides that...
"Sonuna" Taranimak ("Sonuna" Sharkquill) has been content lately. She admired own very fine Bed recently. She talked with a parent recently. She talked with a friend recently. She had a good meal recently. She admired a fine tastefully-arranged Desk recently.
She is a citizen of The United States of America. She is a member of The State of Minnesota. She is a member of The Town of Odyssey.
"Sonuna" Taranimak likes Bauxite, Copper, Green jade, the color navy, cloaks, ballistas, cats for their aloofness and hydras for their seven heads. When possible, she prefers to consume Dr Pepper and ramen.
She lives at a relaxed pace. She tends to avoid crowds. She has a fertile imagination. She is completely disorganized. She is very distant and reserved. She tends not to openly express emotions. She needs caffeine to get through the working day.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Yes! It's about time someone started a thread on LOTR. (...hey, why didn't I start one?) ;)

I like both the movies and the books, although I read the books first. A long time before the movies came out(I'm not sure when), I read an article about the upcoming movies and wasn't too interested for some reason. Then I read the books, instantaneously got obsessed and got interested in the movies-- but I was still more skeptical than interested. I thought it would be impossible to put something like LOTR on screen. Then when I saw FOTR, I was amazed.

And so far LOTR has been both my favorite book series and movies. It's not likely to change anytime in the future.
Last edited by Elf of Rivendell on Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

I enjoyed the first movie (the only one I saw), and I planning on watching the other ones, too. I tried to read the books, but I just couldn't. NOT my style of writing.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I agree with Sonuna about Faramir. He was my favorite character in the books.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

I read the books for the first time in third grade, and became an instant fan. While the movies were dissapointing in some aspects, they were excellent overall. Especially for a director who had never before done a project anywhere near this scale.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

You really have to take the movie for what it was . . . movies rarely portray a book to the most minute detail, as they more or less attempt to capture the essence of the book. Lord of the Rings was no different for Peter Jackson.

I agree with Sonuna and Screech, also. I was terribly disappointed when, in the movie, Faramir took Sam and Frodo to Osgiliath. Inside I was screaming, "No, you dolt! You said you wouldn't take the Ring if it lay by a highway." ](*,) Seriously, man. But I understand PJ's reasoning behind it . . . and in the end, he certainly portrayed Faramir's high "quality" as seen in the book.

However, I must say I enjoyed the book and movies tremendously. I'm not one to take a literary stance on movies and point out every detraction.

Of course, the original version of LoTR--that which Tolkien wrote--is certainly the best. \:D/
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

As much as these topics are over-done, I did not like some of the casting, but either then that, the movies were pretty sweet.

-The Master Charles
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Trent DeWhite wrote:What are you feelings toward J.R.R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings? Have you read the book? If so, how many times? Watched the movies? Your views and opinons?
Read the book? I've read it countless of times! (Well, at least over 3. :D) J.R.R. Tolkien's works are the BEST! I've watched the movies also, and I love how it was made. I just wish more of it stuck with the book than the other way around, but it was still good.

Whoever has not watched LotR yet, READ TEH BOOKS FIRST! THEY WERE WRITTEN FIRST, and should be READ first! THEN watch the movie! 8-[
Need a nice signature/avatar set? Take a look at my shop! :)
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Lucy is my twin Laura Ingalls = l33t ~*Robin Baggins/Respectahobbit*~
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

I m really not a big fan of the Lord of the Rings at all. I liked the second installment but the other two aren't my bag. I dont know why I really dont like Hobits all that much. I find them very annoying and creepy, maybe because they are so short and you always have to look out for short people or things. The ending of the Return of the King was just so long I nearly fell asleep, I was hoping that it would end forever but no it kept going and going and going. Then when it ended I was so relived and thankful, it was possibly one of the greatest moments of my life. Well enjoy your thread.
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Gah. Did you only watch the movie or something? :roll:
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. John 6:37
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Fenix wrote:The ending of the Return of the King was just so long I nearly fell asleep, I was hoping that it would end forever but no it kept going and going and going. Then when it ended I was so relived and thankful, it was possibly one of the greatest moments of my life. Well enjoy your thread.
That's rather unfortunate. I dearly hoping PJ woudldn't cut the film off too soon . . . there are so many sub-endings that occur in RoTK (and several were omitted), it probably took some time figuring out which to show and how to present them. Although I wished they had shown the Scouring of the Shire, I pleased with the overall flow of the film.

At least the last words of the movie echoed the final words in the book. =D>
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Fenix wrote:The ending of the Return of the King was just so long I nearly fell asleep, I was hoping that it would end forever but no it kept going and going and going. Then when it ended I was so relived and thankful, it was possibly one of the greatest moments of my life. Well enjoy your thread.
That's rather unfortunate. I dearly hoping PJ woudldn't cut the film off too soon . . . there are so many sub-endings that occur in RoTK (and several were omitted), it probably took some time figuring out which to show and how to present them. Although I wished they had shown the Scouring of the Shire, I pleased with the overall flow of the film.

At least the last words of the movie echoed the final words in the book. =D>
I'm with you on that. I loved the last scenes, although the Scouring of the Shire is one of the best parts. :D The last words "Well, I'm back." stay very true to the book, and I give 5 stars to PJ on that movie. :D
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I like the book much better than the movie. Of course that's how everything is. If they made the book into a movie it would probably take a few days to finish watching it! I'm not that interested in fantasy books and movies but was one of the best that I've ever watched. I liked the epic battle scenes and the graphics they used. Return of the King was especially good. In the book, I liked the Two Towers the best.

I can understand Fenix, the last part of the movie had a dreary music that made you want to fall asleep(especially the part where Frodo and Sam are sitting on the rock in the middle of Mount Doom.

I'm not saying that they should have cut more scenes. I'm saying that they could have made it more... not dreary. THEY SHOULD HAVE added the Scouring of the Shire.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ray wrote:I like the book much better than the movie. Of course that's how everything is. If they made the book into a movie it would probably take a few days to finish watching it! I'm not that interested in fantasy books and movies but was one of the best that I've ever watched. I liked the epic battle scenes and the graphics they used. Return of the King was especially good. In the book, I liked the Two Towers the best.
Ooh, the epic battle scenes were especially memorable in my mind. Just when thought nothing could eclipse the Battle at Helm's Deep, you have the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Pretty cool to see the transition from text to film . . . certainly helped clarify a few segments of the book for me.
Ray wrote:I can understand Fenix, the last part of the movie had a dreary music that made you want to fall asleep(especially the part where Frodo and Sam are sitting on the rock in the middle of Mount Doom.
Ah, yes. I'm still not sure if PJ was trying to trick the audience into thinking Frodo had died or what. But if I had gone through what Frodo went through . . . I probably would've passed out at that point, too. :D
Ray wrote:I'm not saying that they should have cut more scenes. I'm saying that they could have made it more... not dreary. THEY SHOULD HAVE added the Scouring of the Shire.
If there was ever a scene that seemed to drag on too long, it was the whole walking through Mordor and up the mountain. You definitely got the impression it wasn't a walk in the park . . . but I don't think they could've done it any other way. I particularly liked the moment when Sam said, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!" \:D/
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

I particularly liked the moment when Sam said, "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!"
Same here. :D I wonder how the two didn't die in there though. It seems too hot... :^o But the Scouring of the Shire would have been SO cool made into a movie.... :(
Frank
Little Old Bird Woman
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'till morning!

Post by Frank »

I understand why people are so fanatical about AIO, but cannot understand why they are over LOTR...I mean, what is there to do after you talk the characters and storylines to death, dream about Orlando for awhile, get all of the movies, read all the books, get tons of character figurines, start a fan site, talk about it on forums, write some fan fiction, dream about Orlando again, look forward to the coming out of The Hobbit in a few years and then having a LOTR dress-up party celebrating the fact that you love the books with all of the other LOTR nuts just like you. Sure, there are redempting values, but can you do something other than sit and listen to the soundtrack again in awe of the music, or dream about what it would be like to live in Middle Earth? Hmmmm...maybe I'm over-stating my case. The movies and books are good, but they didn't really grab me. (Like AIO does.) :-)
Lucy Pevensie
sn33ky hobbitses
sn33ky hobbitses

Post by Lucy Pevensie »

Dream about Orlando?! :-s Sorry, but I don't really think he's very "hot" or anything of the sort, and LotR fans don't dream about him (it's not all girls you know... :D)

Yes, you can do things other than sit around reading/watching Lord of the Rings, many things you can do. For example, you could read other books/stories that J.R.R. Tolkien wrote. You could continue to learn about Middle Earth, elves, and other things that catch your attention in Lord of the Rings by reading the many, MANY, MANY books J.R.R. Tolkien wrote on them. There are plenty, and will take you very long to finish all.

What then? You ask. Well just keep rereading Lord of the Rings so as not to forget one detail of it, or even start memorizing passages of it. Now you'd think that whoever did this is practically addicted to Lord of the Rings, and you may be right. :wink:

There are plenty of things that you can do, you can write fanfictions of it, you can do whatever, you can keep reading the books over and over, etc. Just use your imagination, that's all. 8-[
Samwise
Love to love

Post by Samwise »

I think that vigor or energy should be spent reading and memorising the Bible not Lord of the Rings.