L.M.M.

what'cha think about her books

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Laura Ingalls wrote:The third movie was so totally different that they shouldn't have even tried to pretend it was supposed to be Anne. :noway:

I mean, Anne and Gil living in New York City? Them being just married during WWI when it was their grown sons who fought in that war? Anne trying to find Gil while dressed in a nun's habit? Madness, I say! :mad:
YES THAT IS WHAT I MEAN!!! Totaly un Anne of Green Gablesness. :noway:
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Laura Ingalls wrote:The third movie was so totally different that they shouldn't have even tried to pretend it was supposed to be Anne. :noway:

I mean, Anne and Gil living in New York City? Them being just married during WWI when it was their grown sons who fought in that war? Anne trying to find Gil while dressed in a nun's habit? Madness, I say! :mad:
Hence why I have no intention of ever seeing that movie. :noway:
Shawndlay wrote:Two things that really bother me about the RT version. First, they say that Anne is 13, not 11, in the beginning. Then at the end, when she's 16, she says something about the last 5 years. Second, when Gilbert calls her "Carrots" at the end and she giggles. Um, no! Anne would have gotten mad all over again! :noway:
If I'm remembering correctly, she's 13 in the movie too... and Gilbert also calls her "carrots" at the end.

I'd like to think Anne's willing to let bygones be bygones at that point. Not to mention that it makes for a rather sweet scene in the movie. O:)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Another thing that I dislike about the third Anne movie was that Kevin Sullivan, the director, apparently made a serious plot change between making the trailer and making the final cut of the movie - in the trailer, Anne kisses that journalist guy, which traumatized my sister and I, since she's married to Gil at the time! In some interview I read a while ago that Sullivan did before the movie came out, he said that Anne and Gil were engaged when she went overseas to find him, which makes the kiss with another guy a bit less awful, but still, that seems like a significant change to make after the movie is almost done. I agree that the third one doesn't even seem like an Anne movie at all. I didn't watch it for years because I saw the trailer and knew that it would be dreadful, but I finally did watch it. I like the "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" scene :inlove: but most of it is hard to watch when for me because I love the books so much and Anne 3 kind of ruins stuff.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Catspaw wrote:Another thing that I dislike about the third Anne movie was that Kevin Sullivan, the director, apparently made a serious plot change between making the trailer and making the final cut of the movie - in the trailer, Anne kisses that journalist guy, which traumatized my sister and I, since she's married to Gil at the time! In some interview I read a while ago that Sullivan did before the movie came out, he said that Anne and Gil were engaged when she went overseas to find him, which makes the kiss with another guy a bit less awful, but still, that seems like a significant change to make after the movie is almost done. I agree that the third one doesn't even seem like an Anne movie at all. I didn't watch it for years because I saw the trailer and knew that it would be dreadful, but I finally did watch it. I like the "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" scene :inlove: but most of it is hard to watch when for me because I love the books so much and Anne 3 kind of ruins stuff.
Isn't that the one when she's singing with the two lady people (I can't remeber their names) and she sees Gill? I do like the song, but whatever the actress' name was wasn't that great of a singer (which Anne was)
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Oriana wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I like the "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" scene :inlove: but most of it is hard to watch when for me because I love the books so much and Anne 3 kind of ruins stuff.
Isn't that the one when she's singing with the two lady people (I can't remeber their names) and she sees Gill? I do like the song, but whatever the actress' name was wasn't that great of a singer (which Anne was)
It sure is! That moment makes the movie almost worth watching. ;) A few years ago we got a new phone and I was fiddling with the ringtone settings and realized that one of them was "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (music only - no lyrics, of course) so I get to hear the tune fairly often. \:D/ You're right that those two performers aren't that great, but the scene is good overall. :D
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Catspaw wrote:
Oriana wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I like the "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" scene :inlove: but most of it is hard to watch when for me because I love the books so much and Anne 3 kind of ruins stuff.
It sure is! That moment makes the movie almost worth watching. ;) A few years ago we got a new phone and I was fiddling with the ringtone settings and realized that one of them was "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (music only - no lyrics, of course) so I get to hear the tune fairly often. \:D/ You're right that those two performers aren't that great, but the scene is good overall. :D
Julie Andrews would have been great to have in that scene (I just had to throw that in there Julie Andrews is so FumbleFritz.)
AMDG

Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

Oriana wrote:So did you actually go to P.E.I. ?
No I've never been to P.E.I. The Anne books definitely made me want to go there. I spent a 2 hour jaunt into Canada one time. I would like to go back, and P.E.I. would be one place I would like to visit there.

Everyone's comments about the 3rd movie definitely discourage me from watching it. Thanks for your input! \:D/ 8-)
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

LizzieG wrote:If I'm remembering correctly, she's 13 in the movie too... and Gilbert also calls her "carrots" at the end.
I really need to watch the movies again. That's odd that Radio Theatre seems to have borrowed some of their adaption from the movie, which, of course, doesn't completely match the books. :-k They must've been looking at the book when the mentioned how long she'd been there later. Or the movie makes the same mistake. :evil:
LizzieG wrote:I'd like to think Anne's willing to let bygones be bygones at that point. Not to mention that it makes for a rather sweet scene in the movie. O:)
Ugh, no, Anne wouldn't have let it go at that point. :noway: She's finally made up after five years but she's still a sensitive person. If Gilbert turned around and called her that again right away, she'd get mad. Maybe later... after she's married and has a red-headed daughter. ;)
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Are there many Canadians of Irish desent(sp) cause then maybe Anne was part Irish and I can go even more crazy over the books. :D
AMDG

LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

I was inspired by this thread to re-listen to the radio theatre version of Anne of Green Gables, and I definitely liked it better the second time around. Mae Whitman's Anne was great, and most of the other characters were pretty good too... sans some of Anne's friends. I had forgotten about Pam Hayden and Diane Michelle's cameos, so those were fun too. I liked the music as well (as always ;)). Definitely a more re-listenable drama than first impressions had led me to believe. O:)

I'm definitely rereading the series this summer! \:D/
Shawndlay wrote:
LizzieG wrote:I'd like to think Anne's willing to let bygones be bygones at that point. Not to mention that it makes for a rather sweet scene in the movie. O:)
Ugh, no, Anne wouldn't have let it go at that point. :noway: She's finally made up after five years but she's still a sensitive person. If Gilbert turned around and called her that again right away, she'd get mad. Maybe later... after she's married and has a red-headed daughter. ;)
I don't know... at the end, she admits to having been stubborn for much of that time, and to having forgiven him "that day by the pond landing." I don't think she would've gotten mad all over again, especially after hearing Marilla's story about the consequences of holding grudges... :-