L.M.M.

what'cha think about her books

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

L.M.M.

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Lucy M. Montgomery wrote, among other books, The Anne of Green Gables novels, and Emily of New Moon. So I wanted to know what you people think about the author and her books.
Personaly I think she was rather an enigma thinking outside the normal trend of thought among most people. I think she touched on the simple wonder and beauty of the child's and adult's emagination. She was ingenious in the realistic and introduction and addition of new characters by simple and not unlikely events. Overall I believe she was a magnificent writter with a unique ability to imploy both the cold simplicity of life with a childlike fancy, giving the whole book a strain of whimsy always apparent but not overbearing
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I enjoy the Anne books tremendously! \:D/ I remember liking the Emily books, but I wasn't crazy about some odd, otherwordly elements in there. If I'm remembering correctly. ;)

I think she was a great author, and I'm glad she kept on trying to get the first book published after being turned down so many times. :D
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Yay, what a wonderful topic! :D

It's been a while since I've read the Anne books, but I know that I read at least the first six, and that I was especially attached to the first one... until I lost it on vacation in San Diego. :x (;)) Sounds like a re-reading is in order! I haven't read the Emily of New Moon series, but I'm sure I will eventually.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Some great thoughts have already been shared! :D I have read almost everything that she has written that was published (other than her diaries - I think those are available somewhere, but not at my public library) and enjoyed them all. The Anne and Emily books are classics, and two more favourites for me are "The Blue Castle" and "Jane of Lantern Hill." Her short stories, some of which were discovered/rediscovered and published in a number of collections of books, are also really good. A few of them refer to Anne or have her as a minor character. When it comes to L.M. Montgomery, you just can't go wrong! \:D/ They also gain more meaning as one gets older, at least in my experience, when some of the WWI related material in a couple of the Anne books gained more significance to me (I've cried more than once at some of the foreshadowing and general sadness of a few parts) and also because there are some deeper moments. You can enjoy her books at a variety of ages, but you can get more out of them when you're older, I think. :)

Lizzie, you definitely need to re-read the Anne books (make sure to read all 8!) and find some more LMM books too. :D Oh Gil. :inlove:

Laura, I know what you mean about some of the odd elements in the Emily books - there are a few moments that are kind of offbeat, but I found them easy to gloss over and enjoy everything else. :D Oh Teddy. :inlove:
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Catspaw wrote:They also gain more meaning as one gets older, at least in my experience, when some of the WWI related material in a couple of the Anne books gained more significance to me (I've cried more than once at some of the foreshadowing and general sadness of a few parts) and also because there are some deeper moments. You can enjoy her books at a variety of ages, but you can get more out of them when you're older, I think. :)
I just listened to Rilla of Ingleside on CD the other week, and I was tearing up too. Dog Monday howling after Walter dies get me every time. :mecry:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Catspaw wrote:Lizzie, you definitely need to re-read the Anne books (make sure to read all 8!) and find some more LMM books too. :D Oh Gil. :inlove:
I know I will definitely appreciate them more now; I remember that I didn't find the post-engagement/wedding books very interesting Then again, I was only a middle-schooler at the time. ;)

Fortunately, we do have all 8 books, and I'm planning on doing a lot of reading once I get out of school! :D
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Just out of curiosity, did anyone find the A.M. (after marriage) books harder to get into. I did (and I must confess I haven't finished Anne of Ingleside because of that) I think it was because I feel so attached to Anne and then she's made into a less impotant character. So, how 'bout it does anyone else have that problem?
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

No, I enjoyed them all equally, I think. :-k I liked reading about all the Blythe children's escapades and growing up just as much as Anne's. :D
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote: and two more favourites for me are "The Blue Castle" and "Jane of Lantern Hill."
This is exactly what I thought when reading this topic! :shock:

Anne of Green Gables is a classic so I'm glad Radio Theatre chose to dramatize it! \:D/

Not as fond of the later Anne's and the Emily books but that's just my opinion.
Catspaw wrote:Oh Gil. :inlove:
:bolt:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

I absolutely love them!!! Her descriptions of Prince Edward Island are out of this world. I wish writers today wrote descriptions like hers. Lucy Maud Montgomery will always be a favorite of mine.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Laurie wrote:I absolutely love them!!! Her descriptions of Prince Edward Island are out of this world.
Yes, I forgot to mention this! That's one of the reasons I love her books so much! Her descriptions are amazing and give you such a vivid picture in your mind. :D

Not sure I actually would want to visit PEI because I might be disappointed...
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shawndlay wrote:
Catspaw wrote: and two more favourites for me are "The Blue Castle" and "Jane of Lantern Hill."
This is exactly what I thought when reading this topic! :shock:
:highfive: Twins again!
Chandler wrote:
Catspaw wrote:Oh Gil. :inlove:
:bolt:
O:)

I've never been to PEI, but I would love to go! I would love to see Anne and Gil: The Musical - it sounds so romantic and wonderful, and I really like the sound clips on the website! They used to have longer preview clips that were also quite lovely.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:I would love to see Anne and Gil: The Musical - it sounds so romantic and wonderful, and I really like the sound clips on the website! They used to have longer preview clips that were also quite lovely.
Let me know when you're going and I'll go with you. O:)
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Oriana wrote:Just out of curiosity, did anyone find the A.M. (after marriage) books harder to get into. I did (and I must confess I haven't finished Anne of Ingleside because of that) I think it was because I feel so attached to Anne and then she's made into a less impotant character. So, how 'bout it does anyone else have that problem?
Possibly. Though, as I said earlier, I think I will/would better enjoy the series as a whole now.
Shawndlay wrote:Anne of Green Gables is a classic so I'm glad Radio Theatre chose to dramatize it! \:D/
That's actually one of my least favorite radio theatre adaptations. :( I couldn't keep from comparing the character portrayals/sequence of events in that to the movie version... and I found the former a bit lacking. The characters just didn't seem to ring as true... though I know I'm very biased ;) (and for the record, I enjoy both the Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea movies, though the latter substantially less so due to its many deviations from the books).
Shawndlay wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I would love to see Anne and Gil: The Musical - it sounds so romantic and wonderful, and I really like the sound clips on the website! They used to have longer preview clips that were also quite lovely.
Oh no - another Canadian musical to pine over! :mad: I think a road trip to Canada is in order. :yes:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

LizzieG wrote:That's actually one of my least favorite radio theatre adaptations. :( I couldn't keep from comparing the character portrayals/sequence of events in that to the movie version... and I found the former a bit lacking. The characters just didn't seem to ring as true... though I know I'm very biased ;)
They don't have the cool British accents. ;) I would agree as far as Anne's contemporaries. Mae Whitman's voice is good for the role but the others are more strained in their attempts as adults trying to sound younger.
LizzieG wrote:
Shawndlay wrote:
Oh no - another Canadian musical to pine over! :mad: I think a road trip to Canada is in order. :yes:
\:D/ Indeed!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shawndlay wrote:
LizzieG wrote:That's actually one of my least favorite radio theatre adaptations. :( I couldn't keep from comparing the character portrayals/sequence of events in that to the movie version... and I found the former a bit lacking. The characters just didn't seem to ring as true... though I know I'm very biased ;)
They don't have the cool British accents. ;) I would agree as far as Anne's contemporaries. Mae Whitman's voice is good for the role but the others are more strained in their attempts as adults trying to sound younger.
I do like the AoGG RT, but I do agree that it isn't perfect. I'm not sure if I would feel differently if I hadn't seen the movie and read the book so many times before I heard the RT version. The voices from the movie were already so ingrained in my head that the RT ones never sounded quite right. I do think that Mae Whitman did a great job - I agree with Chandler on that. There were a few scenes missing that I consider classic (I'm trying to think back - I think they skip the whole mouse/pastor's wife incident, among others) that were cut, probably for time, but that I wished were there. It was good, but my familiarity with the book made me more critical or aware of what wasn't there, I guess.
Shandlay wrote:
LizzieG wrote:
Shawndlay wrote:
:highfive: One day this total awesomeness will have to happen! How fun would that be?!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Catspaw wrote:I do like the AoGG RT, but I do agree that it isn't perfect. I'm not sure if I would feel differently if I hadn't seen the movie and read the book so many times before I heard the RT version. The voices from the movie were already so ingrained in my head that the RT ones never sounded quite right. I do think that Mae Whitman did a great job - I agree with Chandler on that. There were a few scenes missing that I consider classic (I'm trying to think back - I think they skip the whole mouse/pastor's wife incident, among others) that were cut, probably for time, but that I wished were there. It was good, but my familiarity with the book made me more critical or aware of what wasn't there, I guess.
I have seen the movie a few times but it was awhile ago so I'm not really affected by that. Come to think of it, I have the movie and its sequel here right now because someone lent them to me. O:)

Two things that really bother me about the RT version. First, they say that Anne is 13, not 11, in the beginning. Then at the end, when she's 16, she says something about the last 5 years. Second, when Gilbert calls her "Carrots" at the end and she giggles. Um, no! Anne would have gotten mad all over again! :noway:
Catspaw wrote:
Shandlay wrote:
LizzieG wrote:
Shawndlay wrote:
:highfive: One day this total awesomeness will have to happen! How fun would that be?!
Absolutely! Just let me know what time is good for the rest of you and I'll pack my bags! \:D/
Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

I just joined this thread, and I agree with LizzieG. I am going to try and re-read (listen) to the Anne series this summer. Since I work full-time and have a daughter and responsibilities at church, much of my reading lately has been Books on CD. I read through the first 6 books during my last year of college a couple years ago in a whirlwind! I am definitely ready to read the whole series again. I know I will like them even more the 2nd time around.

I also agree with the comments about the awesome descriptions of Prince Edward Island. My brief stay (2 hrs) in Canada didn't do it justice :D
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

So did you actually go to P.E.I. ?

Was anyone else uppset about how the Anne of Green Gables movie(s) (the one(s) when she married Gil) portrated Anne I was, with the drinking and smoking, :shame: that is not what Anne was like at all :noway:
AMDG

Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

The third movie was so totally different that they shouldn't have even tried to pretend it was supposed to be Anne. :noway:

I mean, Anne and Gil living in New York City? Them being just married during WWI when it was their grown sons who fought in that war? Anne trying to find Gil while dressed in a nun's habit? Madness, I say! :mad: