Audiobooks

Do you like them?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
LizzieG wrote:I actually got the audiobook version of Ted Dekker's Thr3e for my dad a couple Christmases ago (since he's in the car at least an hour every day for work), and he has yet to listen to it. :(
I was first introduced to Thr3e through the audiobook version - I've never actually read it. \:D/
The printed book was better! \:D/
Trent DeWhite wrote:
LizzieG wrote:I don't know if anyone here has listened to the radio drama version of the Left Behind series, but narrator Rob Lamont also plays one of the characters (Walter Moon) in that, so I'm not sure I would be able to effectively separate the two "roles."
Ooh, good one! I remember finding Left Behind on Oneplace and recording a ton of episodes back int he day - but I only listened to the first book. After reading the whole series and being rather underwhelmed by the latter two books, I basically lost all interest in the series. :(
Oneplace is rather handy. ;) Yeah, the books definitely didn't go out with a bang. :( I don't think I ever reread them, but I was quite into the series as they were coming out. I've been out of my obsession phase for awhile and haven't listened to those dramas very recently (it's all been transferred doubly to Adventures in Odyssey! \:D/), but they're all well-done and worth listening to (moreso in the beginning when the source material was better ;)).

On another note, I rented the unabridged audiobooks of the Left Behind series for my dad as well, and he actually listened to those! \:D/ My only gripe is that the narrator pronounces Carpathia as CarPATHia. :noway:
Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

I also listened to the Audio Drama version of the Left Behind series. The drama versions were much better and went more quickly than listening to the whole unabridged versions of the books. I would completely agree that the last 2 books of the series were very anti-climactic and not so great.

Good point on the Chronicles of Narnia Lizzie! I enjoyed the FOTF dramatized version of those as well.
ShadowSa1nt
SS Random
SS Random

Post by ShadowSa1nt »

I listened to the artemis fowl and harry potter audio books and i really enjoyed them. The reader changed there voices almost completely for each character. Not only are they great stories the way they are written but it is enjoyable to listen to. :D =D> \:D/

-----

I only like to listen to some books on tape. Ted DeKker is definitely a series that i would prefer to read.

Double post combined ~Jellyfish
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Very true. Somehow I don't have the patience to listen to anything... I need to read it.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

I love listening to audiobooks! Sadly, I don't have the time to much these days but my favorite time to listen to them is when I have to take my car on a long road trip. Then I really. get. into. the. story. ;)

Now, I only listening to them when I'm knitting or something or am too stressed out to pay attention to a print version.

I've currently got The Altaman Code by Robert Ludlum checked out on audio from the library and have been enjoying that. In the past, I've listened to the BBC dramatization of The Hobbit as well as a variety of Agatha Christie stories, The DaVinci Code, Jane Eyre and a few others that I'm probably forgetting...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone say that they "read" a particular book when they listen to the audio version of it?
Shennifer
Random sister
Random sister

Post by Shennifer »

Anyone heard The Hatchet as an audio book?? It's something I listened to when I was a kid.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Eh. I'm not really patient enough to listen to an entire book on audio, just like I'm not really patient enough to read an entire book. The audio of the books specifically can be tedious and boring with just the person reading it, especially if the person has a "snooty" accent.
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?