Best Lessons

Which Episodes Have Superb Teaching?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Best Lessons

Post by Taq »

What episodes taught you a biblical lesson particularly well?

I'll start with two:
And the Last Shall Be First: The depiction of the parable is FANTASTIC--Whit paying the same for kids who cleaned out the Little Theater for different amounts of time. Jimmy getting angry, Whit saying he was fair. And I LOVED how Connie used it to teach Uncle Joe about salvation.

Do, for a Change
: Proud religious man = Eugene, Tax collector = Zach, and Jack Allen teaches them both! When Zach becomes discouraged because he keeps sinning, I like Jack's teaching analogy about asking for forgiveness: "Why take a bath? You're just going to get dirty again." I used a similar analogy when discussing repentance with an unbelieving classmate a couple months ago. I said, "Why brush your teeth? They're just going to get dirty again." His response? "But I like brushing my teeth. I have bubble gum toothpaste." :lol: (Also: GlennAdams ftw! \:D/)
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Yeah!!! I love that episode. :D haha

Hmm. I can't think of any off the top of my head. Well, I was gonna lead our youth group once and was thinking of listening to The Boy who Didn't go to Church because we were discussing how the church is a body... I decided against it though...
I do what I do.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Another great topic, Taq!

I actually recently listened to Do, For a Change, and I love how Eugene drowns himself in self-righteousness. Eugene: "Not everyone in the world has three meals a day, as do you and I. Alas, most of the world eats just a few times a week!" Connie: "Okay, well, who wants cheesecake?" :lol: I always found the last scene rather amusing, too, when Eugene decides not to present his exegetical study of the book of Jeremiah - and instead offers his personal testimony "as it relates to the hermeneutical study of the resurrection narratives." :hilarious:
Samitude
Pilgrim

Post by Samitude »

The Pretty Good Samaritan and A Lesson From Mike

Both of those stories hit me right between the eyes every time.
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

Samitude wrote:The Pretty Good Samaritan and A Lesson From Mike

Both of those stories hit me right between the eyes every time.
Absolutely A lesson from Mike that is my all time favourite show .Its so amazing and touching I love it
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

I used a clip from The Tangled Web in a sermon once.
A lie is a lie, even if the person you lied to never finds out about it.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
amyinodyssey
Found

Post by amyinodyssey »

I think that one of the episodes that has been speaking to me a lot lately is " Aubrey's Bathrobe " because sometimes I have doubts about what God wants me to do with my life and how I incorporate serving him into his plans for me.
Over the Rainbow
Blissfully Oblivious

Post by Over the Rainbow »

Wow, there are so many to choose from.

But the first two that came to my mind were "A Lesson From Mike" and the "Tangled Web". I like what Whit said about the lie eating and eating your mind until it's all you can think about.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Something Significant
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Another great topic, Taq!
Thank you, Trent. :)

I'm browsing through my episode ratings spreadsheet (I mention the word "lesson" 58 times in 433 episodes rated :o), and another episode with superb teaching is The Poor Rich Guy. When the episode first aired in Feb 2006, I recognized its great teaching in the official thread:
Taq wrote:Broadcast and pinkjeans92 touched on the moral, and I concur. Though there are episodes to come, I’d like to nominate “The Poor Rich Guy” for best moral. The moral [looking at the Scripture verses in context] was weaved throughout the storyline (I could tell what would be from the very beginning.) and culminated in an excellent scene with Whit, Tamika, Marvin, Grady, and the Egyptian zoo article.

Upon another listen in 2009, I certainly concur that the lesson about biblical context is one of the best.
Robyn Jacobs
I'm not Gabe

Post by Robyn Jacobs »

Recently, the lessons in "A New Era" has been really impacting in my life. I was able to use the idea with Eugene and Katrina possibly going to Africa that just because there is a need for ministry somewhere doesn't mean that I am the person to fill that need. If it isn't God calling me to that specific need, He has someone in mind, and is still in control of the situation!

Also, all of the episodes in "It All Started When . . ." are incredible lessons. I have listened to them over and over again. Just simple nuggets of truth.