A Separate Peace

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Johnny
Local Conspiracy theorist

A Separate Peace

Post by Johnny »

So I am reading this tragic and interesting book for school, has anybody else read it, and what are your opinions?

I shall share mine later I will finish within the hour most likely.
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

I think I remember this book......not sure. If it's the book I'm thinking of I didnt like it cause all it was about was a guy falling out of a tree......very boring.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Keith Scott wrote:I think I remember this book......not sure. If it's the book I'm thinking of I didnt like it cause all it was about was a guy falling out of a tree......very boring.
:x

It was NOT boring :insane:
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru
Lord Sesshoumaru

Post by Lord Sesshoumaru »

it is when your talkingto a guy who's book colection is 90% fantasy 9% superhero and 1% misc
which none of those books are about a guy falling form a tree and people going "how did he fall?" "Ask so an so he has a good memory"
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Keith Scott wrote:it is when your talkingto a guy who's book colection is 90% fantasy 9% superhero and 1% misc
which none of those books are about a guy falling form a tree and people going "how did he fall?" "Ask so an so he has a good memory"
Yeah well that's the gist of it...
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Heh, are you doing Sonlight? I had to read it one year.. Wasn't my favorite book, but I didn't think it was that bad. ;)
...I hate marquees.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

J-man wrote:Heh, are you doing Sonlight? I had to read it one year.. Wasn't my favorite book, but I didn't think it was that bad. ;)
Nah were supposed to read a Tale of Two Cities or something next...
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

J-man wrote:Heh, are you doing Sonlight? I had to read it one year.. Wasn't my favorite book, but I didn't think it was that bad. ;)
That made me smile.

Ahem. Anyway.

I was supposed to read it this year. I did not. I'm sure I'll survive.

I got stuck on Paradise Lost and didn't have enough 'umph' to finish it, nor the next few (equally interesting *cough*) books. >.>
don't forget the rain.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Bah. I wish I had a curriculum that made me read more interesting novels. This year, I've had to read The Hiding Place, In His Steps, and one other book about a native missionary in India (I forget it's name). I'd already read the first two before (The Hiding Place multiple times, actually). I'm getting rather annoyed at the curriculum's required reading. It's all about missionaries/evangelists/etc.. and while I don't have a problem with reading that type of stuff, I would like to read something else, too. They don't even want me reading classic literature :-s. A very conservative curriculum, it is. :doubt:
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

The Hiding Place is an incredible book. We have it on audio and I've listened to it at least 4 times, all the way through. (And then I read it, as well. :anxious: )
don't forget the rain.
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Ironing Board wrote:Bah. I wish I had a curriculum that made me read more interesting novels. This year, I've had to read The Hiding Place, In His Steps, and one other book about a native missionary in India (I forget it's name). I'd already read the first two before (The Hiding Place multiple times, actually). I'm getting rather annoyed at the curriculum's required reading. It's all about missionaries/evangelists/etc.. and while I don't have a problem with reading that type of stuff, I would like to read something else, too. They don't even want me reading classic literature :-s. A very conservative curriculum, it is. :doubt:
:-s

I feel sorry for you. I loved Sonlight's reading lists when I was doing them, I think out of 3 years of books I ended up hating around.. 2 of them, and I liked most of the rest. (no classics? :mad: )

(The two I hated were Moby Dick and The Red Badge of Courage)
...I hate marquees.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Ironing Board wrote:Bah. I wish I had a curriculum that made me read more interesting novels. This year, I've had to read The Hiding Place, In His Steps, and one other book about a native missionary in India (I forget it's name). I'd already read the first two before (The Hiding Place multiple times, actually). I'm getting rather annoyed at the curriculum's required reading. It's all about missionaries/evangelists/etc.. and while I don't have a problem with reading that type of stuff, I would like to read something else, too. They don't even want me reading classic literature :-s. A very conservative curriculum, it is. :doubt:
I know how you feel, A.C.E. is the exact same way, I did get to read Pilgrim's Progress though and taht made me feel better. Tragically I will read no Shakespeare, so I've read checked out some books from my local library and actually Shakespeare was clueless in some areas. Anywho, I feel for you and your somewhat bland reading curriculum. It's so sad :boohoo:
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Heh... I'm taking Contemporary Fiction this semester. Postmodern novels ftw! Yeah... I've been reading a lot of interesting books lately... \:D/
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

J-man wrote:(The two I hated were Moby Dick and The Red Badge of Courage)
Okay, Moby Dick I can understand. But The Red Badge of Courage wasn't too bad. :noway:

And, Angie. Why didn't I know you did Sonlight? :-s
don't forget the rain.
Iron and Light
Night is Falling
Night is Falling

Post by Iron and Light »

Oriana's fire wrote:I know how you feel, A.C.E. is the exact same way, I did get to read Pilgrim's Progress though and taht made me feel better. Tragically I will read no Shakespeare, so I've read checked out some books from my local library and actually Shakespeare was clueless in some areas. Anywho, I feel for you and your somewhat bland reading curriculum. It's so sad :boohoo:
Heh. I'm using A.C.E. :anxious:.

@Evil Chick- I'll have to remember to take that course in college \:D/.
Pirate Oriana
laugh with the wind
laugh with the wind

Post by Pirate Oriana »

Ironing Board wrote:
Oriana's fire wrote:I know how you feel, A.C.E. is the exact same way, I did get to read Pilgrim's Progress though and taht made me feel better. Tragically I will read no Shakespeare, so I've read checked out some books from my local library and actually Shakespeare was clueless in some areas. Anywho, I feel for you and your somewhat bland reading curriculum. It's so sad :boohoo:
Heh. I'm using A.C.E. :anxious:.

@Evil Chick- I'll have to remember to take that course in college \:D/.
HAH! My suspicions have been proven correct. GO ME AND MY HUNCHES!! \:D/
AMDG

I started a comic. \:D/ "And there's no one to stand around looking impressed"....seriously "what is the point of having you all." :x ;-)
NOW AT: https://www.facebook.com/randompiratecomic
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Ducky wrote:Heh... I'm taking Contemporary Fiction this semester. Postmodern novels ftw! Yeah... I've been reading a lot of interesting books lately... \:D/
lol, fun. \:D/
Stubborn wrote:
J-man wrote:(The two I hated were Moby Dick and The Red Badge of Courage)
Okay, Moby Dick I can understand. But The Red Badge of Courage wasn't too bad. :noway:

And, Angie. Why didn't I know you did Sonlight? :-s
No idea. \:D/

..I was younger when I read it. Maybe I'd like it now that I'm older... Dunno.
...I hate marquees.
Stubborn
Expecting a battle

Post by Stubborn »

J-man wrote:..I was younger when I read it. Maybe I'd like it now that I'm older... Dunno.
Yeah. Because the older you get, the more boring things you can stand. \:D/
don't forget the rain.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

I can't speak about A Separate Place, but just to reiterate what I previously said (and in so doing get an extra post on this account \:D/), Moby Dick is horrible. *dies just thinking about it*
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

Stubborn wrote:
J-man wrote:..I was younger when I read it. Maybe I'd like it now that I'm older... Dunno.
Yeah. Because the older you get, the more boring things you can stand. \:D/
\:D/
Precisely, m'dear.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!