a new whit?

could it be?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Okay just heard the new Whit (okay yeah i'm late...) and...what? I can tell he's a good voice actor and all but he's definitely not Whit...eh. He sounds like a leprechaun! :x

I understand the spirit of the character is important but the voice is always important...and I definitely couldn't tell that that wasn't even Whit...I mean i'm sure we'll get used to it...in the next 25 years. ;)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Bow and worship him, EK! :x How dare you question the decisions of the FOCUSLAND! :x
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

I wouldn't mind if they did away with the character of Whit (oh no blasphemy! :shock: ) I started listening during the non-whit phase and some of my favorite albums are from that era (Wish You Were Here, DBD, Back On The Air.) I'd really like to hear more from Jack. He hasn't been around too much but he definitely has way more stories to be told than Whit has left. ;) I mean Odyssey went for a while without the "main" character...why not try that phase again?
Tim Peterson
Pilgrim

Post by Tim Peterson »

Tyler wrote:Okay just heard the new Whit (okay yeah i'm late...) and...what? I can tell he's a good voice actor and all but he's definitely not Whit...eh. He sounds like a leprechaun! :x

I understand the spirit of the character is important but the voice is always important...and I definitely couldn't tell that that wasn't even Whit...I mean i'm sure we'll get used to it...in the next 25 years. ;)
Same here. I've only listened to the podcast once, but it's not nearly as good a match as Paul was. I could hear little hints of Whit in his voice, but it's not nearly what we're used to. The higher pitch is part of it. Is this truly the best they could come up with?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I think I've reached the point where I don't really care if he sounds like Hal or Paul. Andre will provide his own unique spin on Whit, just as Hal and Paul did before him.

My only concern from the clip aired on the podcast is the consistency in his voice. Maybe it's just because we haven't heard enough of him to recognize his voice, but it almost sounded like Andre was playing two or three separate characters in that one scene.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Trent DeWhite wrote:I think I've reached the point where I don't really care if he sounds like Hal or Paul. Andre will provide his own unique spin on Whit, just as Hal and Paul did before him.

My only concern from the clip aired on the podcast is the consistency in his voice. Maybe it's just because we haven't heard enough of him to recognize his voice, but it almost sounded like Andre was playing two or three separate characters in that one scene.
When he first started I was like, "Oh I hate that!" and then "Oh I like that!" and then "Oh, that was OK", and then "Wow, that was great", and then back to "I Hate that!" I mentioned before that he sounded inconsistent.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

This thread will be legendary, so I'd better throw in my thoughts! There's no doubt about it: Andre Stojka's voice is quite different. And I'm okay with that. I wouldn't have minded if there was no Whit at all, but again, I'm okay with the decision to continue the character. For those concerned about getting used to the voice, at least we're forewarned. It's not like the Katrina situation in which we were surprised by a new voice. Additionally, Paul McCusker mentioned in an interview question on the official Passages site that Whit will be narrating throughout the story, so we have all 9 Passages episodes to get to know Whit III. (I believe Andre is voicing Whit in Passages; someone correct me if I'm wrong.) To sum up, I'm at peace with Whit III and look forward to hearing him in new episodes.

It's just weird that Andre (b. 1954) is slightly younger than my dad. :noway:
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

It's just that inconsistency with voice is very bad with a show like odyssey. Especially with the main voice. The fact that we have 25 years of AIO to relisten too at any point in time and all we hear from Andre is the new episodes so going back and forth will show us the obvious stark contrast between them.

I suppose only the die-hard fans really care though. ;) With the show on hiatus for so long, the kids the show is targeted at probably wont care...and I can definitely hear the essence of Whit in Andre's voice...he just sounds like he got about 20 years younger than the past Whit...which sort of just takes away from the spirit of Whit as this old grandfatherly figure.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

Hey he could sound like Mike Tyson, the IMPORTANT thing is that he has the same spirit as Whit. :noway: The sound of his voice has zero to do with him being a voice actor playing a well established character that has sounded the same for over 20 years. :noway:
Samurai Neil
Popsicle kid

Post by Samurai Neil »

I will be totally fine with the new Whit. He doesn't sound like Paul Herlinger, but at least he sounds like a nice kind old man. But here are my top three things that SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED INSTEAD OF THE NEW WHIT:

#1: The Blasphemous Option. Whit and Tom die in a car wreck. We learn some important lesson from it, and Whit dies with relatively the same voice. Plus, this way he doesn't get killed by the Imagination Station! Jack takes over Whit's End, and Connie takes up a slightly larger roll than she has in the past. Odyssey can survive without Whit. Jack, Connie, often Eugene, and occasionally Jason will take up the mantle! (All of this takes place after Passages, of course.)

#2: The Peat and Repeat Option: Whit gets called away on a mission from The Agency that he can't refuse. He leaves on a top secret mission and we don't here from him for years. Could be used to fade the New Voice of Whit in slowly through phone calls and stuff.

#3: The Lame But Doable Option: leaves for any of the above reasons and his long lost brother shows up. Lame. Okay, this isn't really an option.
COMING SOON: RANDOM ECONOMY TEXTBOOK QUOTES
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I actually really, really like the "younger brother moves into town to take over" bit, while Whit goes off to do whatever old people do.
Samurai Neil
Popsicle kid

Post by Samurai Neil »

The Top Crusader wrote:I actually really, really like the "younger brother moves into town to take over" bit, while Whit goes off to do whatever old people do.
Maybe, I was just thinking that it doesn't seem original, and it's not very dramatic.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

I'd just prefer a new character over a different voice for an old one... Hal to Paul was similar enough. I'm just not buying this yet. ;)
Samurai Neil
Popsicle kid

Post by Samurai Neil »

The Top Crusader wrote:I'd just prefer a new character over a different voice for an old one... Hal to Paul was similar enough. I'm just not buying this yet. ;)
I understand, I'd just prefer existing characters to take the place of Whit, rather than a new character. I don't buy it either. Andre plays a different Whit.