a new whit?

could it be?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Trinarius
If posts were pigs...

Post by Trinarius »

When I first learned, from this thread, that Paul Herlinger would no longer be the voice of Whit, I was shocked and saddened. So let me qualify my next few thoughts by saying that I have high hopes for the new actor. I am sure that the AIO team did their best to find a fitting voice for the new Whit. But for me, Odyssey will not be the same. Allow me to explain. When Paul Herlinger made his debut as the new Whit in The Search for Whit, I remember not liking what I heard. The new voice lacked an emotional depth that Hal Smith had, and it seemed more business-like in a way. I even remember seeing a picture of Paul Herlinger in an executive setting, and that image stuck in my mind. Odyssey was definitely different, but over time, he started to grow on me. His persona was one of of sincerity and respect. He came to be the Whit that I now know and love. So for me, his leaving is very sad. I knew that Paul Herlinger would not be the voice of Whit forever, but I did not expect it so soon. Is change always going to happen? Definitely. Do I have to like it? Nope. I am in no way excited nor happy about having a new actor play Whit, and I certainly understand the frustration of listeners who feel the same way. You form emotional connections with actors, both on television and radio, and when one of them leaves, it is hard to accept. But even though things will be different, you can learn to adjust and appreciate the new. I know I have. So I'll end by saying that I am very thankful of the enormous contributions that Paul Herlinger has made to the show. I am very sad to see him go and he shall certainly be missed. =(
-Josh

Trinarius is back. Kind of.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Very well articulated, Trinarius. You're right - it is going to be sad when Paul Herlinger leaves the show. :(
Trinarius wrote:I knew that Paul Herlinger would not be the voice of Whit forever, but I did not expect it so soon.
It's worth noting that Paul has played Whit for twelve years - nearly double that of Hal Smith, who played Whit for only seven years.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

Trent DeWhite wrote:As long as they don't bring in Dave Griffin to play Whit, I'll be satisfied. :yes:
Unless he's been keeping a very big secret from me (and he most definitely has not), then you'll be satisfied. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

Trinarius wrote:When I first learned, from this thread, that Paul Herlinger would no longer be the voice of Whit, I was shocked and saddened. So let me qualify my next few thoughts by saying that I have high hopes for the new actor. I am sure that the AIO team did their best to find a fitting voice for the new Whit. But for me, Odyssey will not be the same. Allow me to explain. When Paul Herlinger made his debut as the new Whit in The Search for Whit, I remember not liking what I heard. The new voice lacked an emotional depth that Hal Smith had, and it seemed more business-like in a way. I even remember seeing a picture of Paul Herlinger in an executive setting, and that image stuck in my mind. Odyssey was definitely different, but over time, he started to grow on me. His persona was one of of sincerity and respect. He came to be the Whit that I now know and love. So for me, his leaving is very sad. I knew that Paul Herlinger would not be the voice of Whit forever, but I did not expect it so soon. Is change always going to happen? Definitely. Do I have to like it? Nope. I am in no way excited nor happy about having a new actor play Whit, and I certainly understand the frustration of listeners who feel the same way. You form emotional connections with actors, both on television and radio, and when one of them leaves, it is hard to accept. But even though things will be different, you can learn to adjust and appreciate the new. I know I have. So I'll end by saying that I am very thankful of the enormous contributions that Paul Herlinger has made to the show. I am very sad to see him go and he shall certainly be missed. =(
AMEN.
Amazing. Exactly right.
=D>
Took what I felt.
Gives fake standing ovation
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

Whit pretty much has the most repetitive part in history of audio drama, "Here's your sundae!"..."You know, the Bible says..."..."You shouldn't lie, kids."

I vote we just use clips of all the old Whits and paste them together for the remainder of this show. He's getting pretty predictable anyways...

JOKES!
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

It's basically been said, but, you know, I don't think the Odyssey writers maliciously through out Paul Herlinger while he was on his knees begging to keep his job... my guess is Paul wanted to retire. I'm not sure how old he is, but he certainly is past retirement age. ;) Maybe he wants to enjoy his twilight years and doesn't want the burden of traveling and recording. I know he enjoyed doing it but I'm sure it was still stressful and a lot of work. Let Paul go do what he wants. :noway:

Of course, I'm only guessing... it is possible they found a new Whit and decided to go with it now rather than later since the hiatus is a good starting point for a new actor... but even then I'm sure Paul gave his blessing.

So, in conclusion... trust Focus on the Family to know what they are doing, and let Paul Herlinger retire in peace. :shame:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Top Crusader wrote:It's basically been said, but, you know, I don't think the Odyssey writers maliciously through out Paul Herlinger while he was on his knees begging to keep his job... my guess is Paul wanted to retire. I'm not sure how old he is, but he certainly is past retirement age. ;) Maybe he wants to enjoy his twilight years and doesn't want the burden of traveling and recording. I know he enjoyed doing it but I'm sure it was still stressful and a lot of work. Let Paul go do what he wants. :noway:

Of course, I'm only guessing... it is possible they found a new Whit and decided to go with it now rather than later since the hiatus is a good starting point for a new actor... but even then I'm sure Paul gave his blessing.

So, in conclusion... trust Focus on the Family to know what they are doing, and let Paul Herlinger retire in peace. :shame:
They did say that the show was going to change and all of the characters were under scrutiny. Whit (Paul Herlinger) included. The more I have had time to think about this, the more I have to agree. When I first read the news I was upset, but I've come to the realization that I need to trust and that is something I do not do well at all.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

If I am totally wrong and they FORCED Herlinger out, I will be upset, though. :anxious:
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

The Top Crusader wrote:If I am totally wrong and they FORCED Herlinger out, I will be upset, though. :anxious:
Me too. The very real possibility that they did force Mr. Herlinger out is what worries me big time.:anxious:
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

After Paul's twelve years with Focus... you think they'd force him out? That's about as likely as Connie wearing something other than her green sweater. :noway:
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

They might have forced him out if he was trying to assassinate James Dobson and take his spot.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

That's actually a very real possibility. It's no wonder they're trying to run him off the show.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The Top Crusader wrote:They might have forced him out if he was trying to assassinate James Dobson and take his spot.
That would be interesting to say the least. Do you really think an 80-90 year old man would be able to assassinate someone? :p

Edit: Your comment made my day that much better.

darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

The Top Crusader wrote:They might have forced him out if he was trying to assassinate James Dobson and take his spot.
Hmm... but Dobson has already stepped down as President and CEO as of 2003, and left the chairman of the Board of Directors position this past February. :-k Maybe Jim Daly will be the new Whit too? ;)
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Did anyone else notice that Whit seems to be sort of based off of Dr. Dobson?

GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

31899 wrote:Did anyone else notice that Whit seems to be sort of based off of Dr. Dobson?

Actually, I think of Jack as more like Dr. Dobson, in my opinion at least. They even have the "Ja" thing goin'. ;)
I do what I do.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro

darcie wrote:
Hmm... but Dobson has already stepped down as President and CEO as of 2003, and left the chairman of the Board of Directors position this past February. :-k Maybe Jim Daly will be the new Whit too? ;)
I thought I had heard something about that... but I think he still does the radio show... maybe Paul wanted to do that show, too... so he gets NOTHING! :x
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

The Top Crusader wrote:If I am totally wrong and they FORCED Herlinger out, I will be upset, though. :anxious:
Yes, I'm sure they'll word it that way in their official announcement about switching the actors.
Pseudonym
Pleasantly Confused
Pleasantly Confused

Post by Pseudonym »

Whit'sEnd.org wrote:Hey, loyal fans!

Today is we would like to make an official announcement regarding the future of AIO. While recording the new shows coming next year, we FORCED Paul Herlinger out of our recording studio. Seriously, we KICKED him out. He's finished! Kaput! Instead, we're putting in a new Whit that will appeal to younger audiences, it's...

Billy Ray Cyrus! We're bringing him in to replace the OLD Whit. He was gracious enough to accept our recording offer (as long as we give a few discreet promotions for Hannah Montana merchandise).
^ From the future.
So you lost your trust,
And you never should have.
No, you never should have.
But don't break your back
If you ever see this,
But don't answer that.
In a bullet proof vest
With the windows all closed,
I'll be doing my best
I'll see you soon.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I wouldn't expect an official announcement regarding the actor change... things like that are most often meant to go unnoticed. Although I'm sure you were just commenting on Top's statement and not actually expecting one. ;)

And this has turned into my current favourite topic. Speculation and all is quite fun. :D