The Giver Trilogy

Have you read them?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

The Giver Trilogy

Post by Amethystic »

Has anyone read The Giver, Gathering Blue, or Messenger? If so, what did you think?

Personally, I liked them. The Giver and Gathering Blue were both amazing, but I didn't like Messenger as much. It just wasn't a great conclusion for a great trilogy. :( And, as all book fans, I wish that Lois Lowry had written more books. :-
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I've only read the Giver, but I liked it a lot! \:D/
...I hate marquees.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

The giver is about the kid who has to take all the memories in the extreme communist society.

Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

I read all three. I loved The Giver! Gathering Blue was boring, and The Messanger was ok but I didn't like how it ended!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Trilogy? I didn't know there was a trilogy. I've only read The Giver. I should read the other two sometime.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Yeah, The Giver is definately the best of the three, but the society in Gathering Blue is really interesting too. I love their syllable system! \:D/ I know, that sounded really Nerdy. :anxious: But my teacher agrees with me. She likes the books too. :-
dodobirdeee
Gold Member

Post by dodobirdeee »

I really like The Giver. I haven't read the others, though.
birdeee
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

In the 8th grade, we had to read The Giver. I enjoyed it! It is fascinating theory of how the United States could end up some day. :anxious:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Excuse me, but the community is not American, even if it was located on 'American' soil. :noway: The community exists in an era where modern country borders are no longer in place, and everyone lives in self-governing villages rather than in nations.
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Amethystic wrote:Excuse me, but the community is not American, even if it was located on 'American' soil. :noway: The community exists in an era where modern country borders are no longer in place, and everyone lives in self-governing villages rather than in nations.
I beileve there were refrences to the American Civil War :noway:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Irwin Springer from Odyss wrote:
Amethystic wrote:Excuse me, but the community is not American, even if it was located on 'American' soil. :noway: The community exists in an era where modern country borders are no longer in place, and everyone lives in self-governing villages rather than in nations.
Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's American; those memories could be hundreds, maybe even thousands, of years old. :noway:
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Amethystic wrote:
Yes, but that doesn't mean that it's American; those memories could be hundreds, maybe even thousands, of years old. :noway:
That still means they're in the United States :anxious:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Amethystic wrote:
No, because:

1. People do move around over time.

and

2. There is no USA in that era
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Amethystic wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
No, because:

and

Then why didn't he get memories of Candian (sp) battles? :noway:
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel

Post by Amethystic »

Amethystic wrote:
Amethystic wrote:
No, because:

and

Then why didn't he get memories of Candian (sp) battles? :noway:
We don't know for sure that he didn't; they only mentioned a few of the memories. Chances are that Jonas actually had lots of different memories from lots of different perspectives and locations.

And just a quick note: I don't think the book ever specified which battle Jonas was remembering; for all we know, it could have been a Canadian battle, or maybe even a European battle. :-