DARIEN'S RISE - The Beans Have Been Spilled!

Date & Price for Audio Collection, Possiblity of Other Adaptations!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Boswell
Classic

DARIEN'S RISE - The Beans Have Been Spilled!

Post by Boswell »

Headed to Amazon today to check on the *cough* status of my Novacom Saga order (don't you say anything, Trent :shame: , it's shipped now). I accidentally stumbled upon the find of the century! Here's what you need to know:

DARIEN'S RISE (AUDIO CD), Paul McCusker
Publisher: Tyndale House Publishers
Date: August 3, 2009
Price: $17.49 CAD, $16.99 USD

An exciting date, to be sure. Of course, you never know when these things will actually ship (don't you say it!), but with all three websites listing the same date, I think August is the planned date, and thus begins the previously-announced strategy of releasing products at the same time they air.

The price is a little cheaper than an album, which is appropriate for a tentative nine-part program such as this.

The reason I mentioned the possibility of other adaptations is that Christianbook lists this as "Adventures in Odyssey Passages #1," as if to signify that there will be other numbers to follow. I don't know if the addition of this number to the title is from Christianbook themselves, or if the product information they received from Tyndale lists it as such.

Pre-order from Amazon.ca
Pre-order from Christianbook
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

This isn't an audiobook, right? :-k
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

This is not an April Fools Day prank either, right?

If it is true, they are sticking to their policy of releasing the CDs so we don't have to wait.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Well, the price seems about right for a 3-disc album. I'm hoping they include a fourth disc, whether it's part of the story or simply bonus material.

I'll bet the producers have every intention of adapting the remaining five Passages books, but perhaps they're waiting to see how this first one is received. If it gets enough positive reviews, then they'll continue.
Laurie wrote:This is not an April Fools Day prank either, right?
It's pretty hard to fake it when it's listed on three separate websites. ;)
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Shawndlay wrote:This isn't an audiobook, right? :-k
I'd say the evidence strongly suggests "no." Darien's Rise is the only Passages book listed in this format, and it's very uncommon to produce audiobooks of children's books. The date is a strong indicator as well.
Laurie wrote:This is not an April Fools Day prank either, right?
Uh-oh, now I've got a reputation. :^o
Last edited by Boswell on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Boswell wrote:
I'd say the evidence strongly suggests "no." Darien's Rise is the only Passages book listed in this format, and it's very uncommon to produce audiobooks of children's books. The date is a strong indicator as well.
Not to mention the fact that Paul McCusker has explicitly stated that it will be a dramatized version of the book.
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Not to mention the fact that Paul McCusker has explicitly stated that it will be a dramatized version of the book.
I think what Shawndlay was asking for was confirmation that this is indeed the dramatization, and not an audiobook being produced seperately.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Now that's an interesting thought. Releasing a dramatization and audiobook of the same book... at the same time. :anxious:
Peachey Keen
Smile for the camera
Post by Peachey Keen »

Trent DeWhite wrote: I'll bet the producers have every intention of adapting the remaining five Passages books, but perhaps they're waiting to see how this first one is received. If it gets enough positive reviews, then they'll continue.
They're not out yet but I'm already giving them 10 stars!
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

If it's just a straight adaption of the book, and there's not much Odyssey-related stuff (at least, any more than is in the book), then it might be pretty close to the epic feel of the radio theatre (RIP) productions. That would make my day. (And yes, I know they're doing "Screwtape", but for all intents and purposes, radio theatre is no more, so I think I've got my facts right, anyway).
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Boswell wrote:
Okay, just checking. :) The way it was listed almost looked that way but you're right that it would be odd to do that with a children's book, especially one of that size.
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Peachey Keen wrote: They're not out yet but I'm already giving them 10 stars!
I thought it was JF777 job to give freakishly high star ratings. :p

This is awesome.

Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Boswell wrote: The price is a little cheaper than an album, which is appropriate for a tentative nine-part program such as this.
Last I heard it was a six-part show... Has there been new information that I missed?
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Gandalf wrote:
Boswell wrote:The price is a little cheaper than an album, which is appropriate for a tentative nine-part program such as this.
Last I heard it was a six-part show... Has there been new information that I missed?
We mention the fact it'll be at least nine-parts in the latest Unofficial Podcast - information courtesy of Nathan Hoobler.
Amethystic
Random Rebel
Random Rebel
Location: Somewhere between this world and the planet Xoltac.

Post by Amethystic »

I love radio drama. :inlove: I've read some of the Passages books (which ones, I can't quite remember :anxious: ), and it should be interesting to hear one of them in drama form. :yes: I still yearn for the regular AIO characters, though. :(
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Exciting!
Boswell - Nice siggy.
Trent - Yes, 9 parts... I was even more stoked when I heard that!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Apparently, this has been up for a while now - but it's been confirmed on the Official Site that it will indeed be a 9-parter. Hopefully, that means they'll be able to do a fourth disc of bonus material!
Last edited by Trent DeWhite on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Apparently, this has been up for a while now - but it's been confirmed on the Official Site that it will indeed be a 9-parter. Hopefully, that means they'll be able to do a fourth disc of material material!
not to mention the "Other Passages surprises", I wonder what this could be? doing all of the books in this format and having a big ~20 disc 54 part collection? More Passages books? A way for us to journey to Marus??? What could it be? :-k
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Hopefully, that means they'll be able to do a fourth disc of material material!
I hope so. "Material material" is my absolute favourite.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

:lol:

That made me laugh. ;)
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.