What is the longest AIO episode

Post your theories here!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Chandler

What is the longest AIO episode

Post by Chandler »

So, Irwin's trivia brought to mind something I have been pondering for awhile. What is the longest AIO show? I threw out some theories to him but his answer was something that I hadn't thought of. So here are a few ideas to get you started and then tell us what you think qualifies as the longest AIO episode.

• BTV: Live hasn't been released yet but that will arguably be the longest show in AIO history. Then again, I don't know for sure if BTV: Live is being assigned an episode number. If it is aired, I assume it will have to be two parts so would it get two numbers?
• Caroling, Caroling has a one-part version but there's also a two-part version. Since it only has one episode number the latter is technically a very long show, right?
• Then there's good ol' episode 444. According to the new official guide, 444 covers Career Moves, The Bad Guy, and Bethany's Flood, which means it now runs a little over a half hour.
• 500, with bonus material added also runs well over a half hour.
• Irwin lists the longest show as "In My Image" from the Truth Chronicles. The note on AIO Wiki says, "This is currently the longest single part episode made." I don't know the runtime on the show.

Is BTV: Live going to be counted as a regular episode? Does Caroling, Caroling count since it was made as two parts? Episode 444 has never been aired that way, Bethany's Flood just needed a number and that was most logical. Does the 500 bonus material count as part of the show since the show material is all like a bonus? So should the Truth Chronicles be considered since they don't have episode numbers (as far as I know)? Or should the longest episode award be given to longest possible aired on the radio or longest normal show with material added in the album (Solitary Refinement)?

:lol:
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

It is currently believed that BTV: Live will be number 646 (however I don't think that this has been confirmed from FOTF), and I seem to recall somewhere on an official podcast that it was around 50 minutes (I may be mistaken though, we'll just have to wait for it to be released and see)

My version of caroling caroling has a running time of 46:33 though I'm not sure it all of that counts or not as it seems more of a 2 part episode to me, but I see your point that it was only given one number, I think it's kind of a grey area

444 a b and c together make up 30:33 from the version I have, Longer than usual but nowhere near the longest, it might get close it they decide to release "The Hoax's on You" the fully produced unreleased split episode that was supposed to be aired with Bethany's flood

500 and it's bonus material come to 39:22, up there but not close to caroling caroling

In my Image has a run time of 45:13 making it a close second to caroling caroling, however it has been confirmed that the Truth Chronicles will NOT be given regular episode numbers (except for the kidsboro ones)

I think that the award for longest episode currently goes to In my Image as it is only known in its full 45:13 version as opposed to caroling caroling which is known in the 2 different versions. hopefully BTV: Live will be around 50 minutes and will settle this matter
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Hmmm. This is a tricky question.

I'm still confused as to the designation of the Truth Chronicles episodes. I don't understand why they couldn't be edited down to regular lengths for radio release and included as "cannon", but that's just me.

If these episodes had been 'regular' shows, most likely "In My Image" would have been a two-part show and "Stepping Stones" would have been a three-part. In my humble opinion, AIO should work this out and air these shows as 'canonical' and include them in the regular schedule. Otherwise, they will most likely be lost in 5 or so years.

Something to consider - The Truth Chronicle episodes contain no wrap arounds, which means they would each be 2-3 minutes longer if they had been produced like other episodes. For comparison purposes, then, it seems like we should remove the time of the wrap around for "Caroling, Caroling" and the others.

Is "Caroling, Caroling" available anywhere in its extended format except on the old tape from the early '90's? I only have the one that came as a bonus feature on the Gold Audio Series (I'd love for someone to share if they have it!).
Irwin
Springer from Odyssey

Post by Irwin »

Gandalf wrote:Is "Caroling, Caroling" available anywhere in its extended format except on the old tape from the early '90's? I only have the one that came as a bonus feature on the Gold Audio Series (I'd love for someone to share if they have it!).
I've been thinking that too. I have the Caroling, Caroling from the "An Odyssey Christmas" album and the one on gold audio #15, but I think they are both normal length. I didn't really enjoy th episode when I first saw it, but I saw a CD on ebay entitled "Adventures in Odyssey: Caroling, Caroling" or something like that.
Last edited by Irwin on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Under the Fan Features section of the official site it says that BTV: Live is 47 minutes long which should clear up this problem and make it the longest episode ever
Reddo
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Reddo wrote:Under the Fan Features section of the official site it says that BTV: Live is 47 minutes long which should clear up this problem and make it the longest episode ever
I saw that. It also said it probably won't ever be aired on the radio because of that. Why don't they just make a 2-part show? Honestly, I'm confused about the reticence to expand certain shows into multiple parts (e.g. "In My Image").
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Once you hear the episode, Gandalf, I think you'll understand. If BTV: Live ever made it onto the radio, it'd have to be released in a special one-hour segment. The script was not written in a way that would make for a very compelling two-parter.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Gandalf wrote:
Reddo wrote:Under the Fan Features section of the official site it says that BTV: Live is 47 minutes long which should clear up this problem and make it the longest episode ever
I saw that. It also said it probably won't ever be aired on the radio because of that. Why don't they just make a 2-part show? Honestly, I'm confused about the reticence to expand certain shows into multiple parts (e.g. "In My Image").
In My Image and BTV: Live even more weren't made to air on the radio and therefore weren't put into one or two part time slots. Correct, if they would have wanted to put In My Image on the radio, they would have extended it and made it a two parter, but that was never their intent.
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

They don't even have to extend "In My Image" All they would need to do is add the wrap around and the "last time, on AIO" on part two and they've got close to 50 minutes (25 minutes each).

I'll take your word on BTV: Live. Is there a possibility of just cutting it down to one show then and using the extra on the 'album' version?
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Gandalf wrote:I'll take your word on BTV: Live. Is there a possibility of just cutting it down to one show then and using the extra on the 'album' version?
But they're not going to put it on the radio. :anxious:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Gandalf wrote:I'll take your word on BTV: Live. Is there a possibility of just cutting it down to one show then and using the extra on the 'album' version?
In a word - no. ;) Even if you cut it down to 30 minutes long (which would still be too long to air on a half hour radio spot), that'd mean you'd have to eliminate 36% of the full episode.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I don't know about airing in two parts but it can't be trimmed that easily.
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Now that I've heard the episode i agree with what was said earlier about it now being well suited to being made into a 2 part episode, this episode doesn't really have the suspense or drama needed to make a proper 2 part episode.

However I disagree with the what Trent said about not being able to cut it down. I think that there was a fair amount of material in the episode that was made speciffically for the live show audience. I won't say what parts that I think could be cut out without loosing a whole lot as some people may not want to read about it before it's released.

I think I remember reading somewhere in the official guide that for one episode they cut out 15 minutes of material to make it suit the radio format, so 22 would be hard but not impossible. When I get some free time I might play around with it and cut out some parts and see what I can get it down to without loosing anything.
Reddo
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Reddo wrote:However I disagree with the what Trent said about not being able to cut it down. I think that there was a fair amount of material in the episode that was made speciffically for the live show audience.
I think that's basically the main reason why this episode is not being given a number and won't be airing on the radio. The entire script was written specifically for a live audience - cutting out material isn't really an option for the writers since they don't have plans for releasing it on air in the first place. But I'd be interested in listening to your "radio version" just for the fun of it. O:)