Tom will Fall, as Darien will rise

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Mrs Jason Whittaker
Classic

Post by Mrs Jason Whittaker »

Bennett wrote: The only person I would vote for a replacement in voice is Whit, to be honest. It may sound weird, but even though its not realistic that Whit is so old and still doing the things that he does, I still think of him as a character that transcends time a bit. A third Whit, but one that sounds a lot like him, is like a good James Bond character (yes, I'm making a comparison between the world of Odyssey and of Bond); they each bring something different to the character, but are true to who the character is supposed to be, and how they all to sound like.
Whit is like a timelord that can regenerate himself completely, like on Doctor Who. As long as Odyssey remains, so shall Whit.

Actually, I believe the show has surpassed Whit. As much as I love him, I don't think we need him anymore.
"Your days, at the most, cannot be long. It would be best to use them for the glory of God and the benefit of your generation."
-William Booth
Bennett
Someone's favorite

Post by Bennett »

What doesn't make sense to me...is that if they're airing these in 6 episodes in September, and if they are SEPARATE and released on their own small collection, then how are they supposed to air the rest of the 12 episode season afterward before December 25th (unless they want to change their habit all of a sudden).
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Bennett wrote:What doesn't make sense to me...is that if they're airing these in 6 episodes in September, and if they are SEPARATE and released on their own small collection, then how are they supposed to air the rest of the 12 episode season afterward before December 25th (unless they want to change their habit all of a sudden).
in the last official podcast they said that the new season won't start will March 2010
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
SivartM
Hamster
Hamster

Post by SivartM »

Reddo wrote:
Bennett wrote:What doesn't make sense to me...is that if they're airing these in 6 episodes in September, and if they are SEPARATE and released on their own small collection, then how are they supposed to air the rest of the 12 episode season afterward before December 25th (unless they want to change their habit all of a sudden).
in the last official podcast they said that the new season won't start will March 2010
A whole YEAR? :mad:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

There may be six additional episodes that have yet to be announced which will complete the collection - Nathan said there would be at least six parts. And even if Darien's Rise ends up being only six parts, we already know these episodes won't be part of Album 51. They can always fill the remainder of the episodes with regular episodes or future Passages shows - but that doesn't have to happen right away. You're right, though, about it changing their regular habit of twelve episodes per season.
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

I am really starting to feel that this is going to be like the "Last Chance Detective" series awhile back: created by the AIO team, even featuring AIO characters, but not actually AIO. That would mean it won't have episode numbers (which is what we're guessing), won't be included in any AIO albums, and won't play into any major AIO storylines (in other words, Tom probably won't even be mentioned in these episodes).

It will be interesting to see what develops though.
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

Gandalf wrote:So hey, Mr Connected, will these episodes count in the AIO cannon? In other words, will they be assigned episode numbers 646-651, or wherever we are (I'm still not sure if the non-Kidsboro episodes on the Truth Chronicles were considered part of the canon or not). Also, since we're on the subject, is BTV: Live going to be assigned a number?
It is official that Kidsboro is part of the AIO cannon and Truth Chronicles is not. I would assume BTV: Live will be cannon, but, up to now it has not been given an episode number. I'm really not sure on Passages, we'll have to wait and see.

Hearing that Darien's Rise will be at least six episodes makes me even more excited. I think this will be an incredible mini-series. (is that what we should call it?) It also cushions the pain of season 51 being pushed back. Rather than skipping a whole nother season, it's just having one season shortened.

I also think that, once released, this will make a great set to do a mini marathon of. It's good to have different lengths of sagas/connected storylines. If your going on a long road trip or want to really go for it, you can listen to NovaComm, if you're looking for something a little shorter, you have DBD and if you just would like to listen to a string of episodes in an evening or on a shorter road trip or whatever, you have things like Connie and Joanne's trip to Washington or the best small town competition and now this.

Having read the book, I can predict that it will make a good radio drama. Knowing that the Odyssey team is incredible, I can guarantee you that it will be a fantastic radio drama. I can't wait! :D
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Gandalf wrote: So hey, Mr Connected, will these episodes count in the AIO cannon? In other words, will they be assigned episode numbers 646-651, or wherever we are (I'm still not sure if the non-Kidsboro episodes on the Truth Chronicles were considered part of the canon or not). Also, since we're on the subject, is BTV: Live going to be assigned a number?
Album 50 ended with with episode 642, 643-645 are the kidsboro episodes, with the rest of the Truth Chronicles episodes not having official numbers, 646 will be BTV: Live.

And a contact that works for FOTF told me that the current plan is for the 6+ part audio version of Darien's Rise being given the numbers 647-652. Although this may change by the time it airs this fall
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Every time some mentions episode numbers with the word numbers and then numerals, the filters try to apply Biblegateway.com links to the words... hehe.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Gandalf and Bennett--you both need to post more :)
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Jonathan - you need to post more. ;)
WindowWasher
I've been here a bit

Post by WindowWasher »

I've been away from this forum for quite awhile and I haven't read Passages so forgive me if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about. I agree with King Turtle, I can't imagine AIO giving the idea to young kids that when you die you might be able to go to a magical land instead of Heaven. It just doesn't make any sense to send Tom to this Marus world when the Bible clearly states that christians go to Heaven. Again, forgive me if I'm way off target. I'm just going by the info written in these posts, I haven't read the Passages books.
Exercise Daily-Walk with The Lord!
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I can't speak for everyone else here but I don't think people are trying to suggest that Tom isn't going to eventually die and go to Heaven. To draw one parallel with Narnia, think of the first time the kids went there... they grew up so they were there for many years. Then they came back to our time as though nothing had changed. Then they went back and were kids again, not grownups. So maybe Tom's work on earth is done and he could go live several years in Marus. It's an alternate time. Then, when his work there is done, he could finally die and go to Heaven.

Not that I think that's a very likely storyline for AIO. But just saying that it could be done and still be acceptable. And a couple of the Marus books did address people going to live there and not returning to earth but it didn't suggest they were circumventing death or Heaven by doing that.
Agent3xq
I eat combination locks
I eat combination locks

Post by Agent3xq »

Shawndlay wrote:I can't speak for everyone else here but I don't think people are trying to suggest that Tom isn't going to eventually die and go to Heaven. To draw one parallel with Narnia, think of the first time the kids went there... they grew up so they were there for many years. Then they came back to our time as though nothing had changed. Then they went back and were kids again, not grownups. So maybe Tom's work on earth is done and he could go live several years in Marus. It's an alternate time. Then, when his work there is done, he could finally die and go to Heaven.
Yeah, but that sounds a little too strange even for Odyssey. The writers have always wanted Odyssey to at least somewhat keep its realism, which is why they created the Imagination Station instead of using another time travel method so that it could "be a real place" the Narnia like place idea is nice idea, but it's just not Odyssey. To use it as an alternate time or place would just not work in my opinion.
I believe in the place where the mind and the heart unite at faith
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Shawndlay wrote:Not that I think that's a very likely storyline for AIO.
;)

I agree that it would be, Agent3xq, but I'm addressing the possibility of it as stated in the first post of this topic. It did happen in the books so there is precedent but I don't think the radio show will go there.