Award-winning pro-life speech

by a 7th grader

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Award-winning pro-life speech

Post by KODY 105 »

A seventh-grade student gave a speech that was almost disqualified, but ended up winning the first-place award in a school speech contest. Watch the speech at focusonthefamily.com's media player.

Discuss.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Wow. That was absolutely amazing. She knew exactly how to hit hard without being accusing.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Trillspots
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Trillspots »

While, this speech is good, most definitely...it makes me really sad to see such an innocent, little girl talking so bluntly about these things. A twelve year old shouldn't even be thinking about unprotected relations, or rape. Why is she on message boards by herself, researching and being allowed to see those things? If she wasn't...then she was coached, and someone else wrote the speech and exploited this little girl to either elicit sympathy, or because they were too cowardly to speak out themselves.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be realistic about what children are exposed to, and prepare them from the world, but protecting their innocence is most certainly something that we should be concerned about as well.

The impact of the speech, for me, was dampened by the fact that this little girl was the one delivering it.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

Trillspots wrote:While, this speech is good, most definitely...it makes me really sad to see such an innocent, little girl talking so bluntly about these things. A twelve year old shouldn't even be thinking about unprotected relations, or rape. Why is she on message boards by herself, researching and being allowed to see those things? If she wasn't...then she was coached, and someone else wrote the speech and exploited this little girl to either elicit sympathy, or because they were too cowardly to speak out themselves.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't be realistic about what children are exposed to, and prepare them from the world, but protecting their innocence is most certainly something that we should be concerned about as well.

The impact of the speech, for me, was dampened by the fact that this little girl was the one delivering it.
I looked at this thread earlier and didn't comment at the time... and was just now coming back to say basically exactly what Trillspot said. Except my response would have had more potty humor. Just sort of creepy for a kid that age to be talking that way, even if I agree with what is being said.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

Trillspots wrote:While, this speech is good, most definitely...it makes me really sad to see such an innocent, little girl talking so bluntly about these things. A twelve year old shouldn't even be thinking about unprotected relations, or rape. Why is she on message boards by herself, researching and being allowed to see those things? If she wasn't...then she was coached, and someone else wrote the speech and exploited this little girl to either elicit sympathy, or because they were too cowardly to speak out themselves.

I didn't even know what rape was when I was 12.

That was a good speech though.
Gandalf
Tallying up

Post by Gandalf »

Welcome to 2009 everyone! Kids are exposed to everything from sexual predators on the streets to sexual indoctrination in their schools. Outside of the homeschool and private school world, most kids know more about sex than their grandparents ever wanted to know (including homosexuality, contraceptives, rape, abortion, etc.) before they've even hit puberty. More and more parents are realizing the importance of talking to their children about these things at earlier and earlier ages.

Last night on the evening news down here in Dallas, TX, there was the awful story of men raping girls between the ages of 12 and 14. The news this evening bore a story about a mother of a 13 year old girl who was shocked that her daughter was texting sexually provocative pictures of herself to a male friend.

No, we don't live in an innocent world anymore. We can't afford to let our kids not know about stuff like this by the time they're 12. This was an excellent speech; kudos to the girl and her parents.
EUCC
Someone's favorite

Post by EUCC »

I definitely knew what rape was when I was 12. I think I actually learned about it through pro-life stuff when I was 7. Oh, and I was homeschooled and we really didn't watch t.v.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

EUCC wrote:I definitely knew what rape was when I was 12. I think I actually learned about it through pro-life stuff when I was 7. Oh, and I was homeschooled and we really didn't watch t.v.
I didn't know what rape was when I was 12. And that was only like 4 years ago too. And I was public schooled, and didn't watch TV, but I still didn't know.