The Tragedy

of Macbeth

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
COWBOY OF TEXAS
Climbing up the mountain

Post by COWBOY OF TEXAS »

That which you fear most will come upon you. :-k

-Cowboy
Click on the image, you know you want to! \:D/
"I was placed in jail during the reign of Regis for double posting and spamming. :( I felt very naughty." -Danae Doyle

"This is the ToO...Not Wikipedia."-COT "I had some really good replies to that, but they were too rude, so I deleted them. Nice going, CoT. You made me be nice for once." :( -CA
"Alas, not even I could perform such a feat."-Trinny
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Time to brag just a bit about where I live: Minneapolis has one of the best theaters in the country, The Guthrie. Last night I, along with a young lady friend of mine, went to the Guthrie to see Macbeth, which I hadn't seen before.

It. Was. Amazing. Partly because I like that type of drama and partly because it was at the Guthrie. Easily one of the best plays I've seen. Ever.

One of the reasons I found this particular tragedy so engrossing is because it didn't follow the usual tragedy formula, protraganist has a certain character flaw and bad stuff happens because of it. This was so much deeper. In between the prophecies and his wife, he did something he didn't really want to, and was horrifed at his actions. Then at some point he drowns his conciense (yep, I don't know how to spell that) and his wife starts listening to hers, which leads to their downfall.

I have had many more thoughts on the play, but that's good enough. It was just really really good, and I'm tempted to go see it again. And if anyone here finds themselves in the Twin Cities before April 3rd, it's highly recommended :yes:

edit--I didn't know I was bumping an old topic, btw.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Moontide
No way I broke the window

Post by Moontide »

For some resin the murder seen in Macbeth reminds me of an old viking tale.