Kidsboro

New fixture in Odyssey?

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
Chandler

Kidsboro

Post by Chandler »

All right, so I'm a little behind on this but I finally listened to Kidsboro for the first time a couple weeks ago. Originally I thought of it like Passages—just an introduction to a book series, so I didn't pay that much attention. But then I learned on whitsend.org that more shows are planned in the future and the kids will appear in "regular" episodes as well.

When I listened, I immediately recognized the lead, Adam Wylie, as Mike from Last Chance Detectives. I wouldn't have guessed that he was an adult except that he sounds exactly the same—four years later. The girls and Pete sounded like adults to me as well. The only character that I thought was actually voiced by a kid was Nelson. So I decided to do a little research on Google and see if I could match each credit with the people in the show. Sure enough, they were adults, and since there were four girls credited then I concluded that Georgina Cordova must be the voice behind Nelson Swanson which Trent confirmed here.

Quite an irony... Kidsboro voiced entirely by adults!

So I'm guessing this is for longevity. They can use the same "kids" for a long time. Which makes sense, I guess, because if they had to keep replacing Kidsboro kids in addition to Odyssey kids they would have to make a spinoff show instead!

At least, as I'm understanding this, Kidsboro is a kind of spinoff within Odyssey, right? :-k
Boswell
Classic

Post by Boswell »

I wouldn't mind having a new three-parter Kidsboro once a year, outside the normal twelve-episode season. I don't expect this to happen, since the book series is supposed to take over from the radio episode, but I wouldn't object.

In fact, why doesn't AIO use adult actors for the kids ALL the time? They could keep them for much longer, and we wouldn't have to wait for some of them to get through their annoying phases before they got good. :-k
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Boswell wrote:In fact, why doesn't AIO use adult actors for the kids ALL the time? They could keep them for much longer, and we wouldn't have to wait for some of them to get through their annoying phases before they got good. :-k
Maybe because kids sound more like kids? :shrugs:
Mr.Whit
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Post by Mr.Whit »

Chandler wrote:
Boswell wrote:In fact, why doesn't AIO use adult actors for the kids ALL the time? They could keep them for much longer, and we wouldn't have to wait for some of them to get through their annoying phases before they got good. :-k
And they make it sound more real
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Definitely. That was one thing I didn't care for in the Kidsboro episodes...you could really tell they were adults trying to sound like kids. At least to me. ;)

To be honest, Kidsboro wasn't my favorite, and I don't really care for more episodes about that. Not that I hated it or anything - it just didn't seem like Odyssey with these totally new (adult sounding) kids popping up out of nowhere. :-$
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Definitely. That was one thing I didn't care for in the Kidsboro episodes...you could really tell they were adults trying to sound like kids. At least to me. ;)

To be honest, Kidsboro wasn't my favorite, and I don't really care for more episodes about that. Not that I hated it or anything - it just didn't seem like Odyssey with these totally new (adult sounding) kids popping up out of nowhere. :-$
Yeah, I'm with Laura on this one... I didn't really like Kidsboro too much either. The voices were definitely not kid-ish. And the story was just kind of weird in my opinion. A good idea, but could probably have been made a lot better. I don't really remember a whole lot of details, 'cause I haven't listened to it since it first came out. I'm pretty sure my little siblings enjoyed it, though.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Jacob Isom
I'm not Gabe

Post by Jacob Isom »

To tell you honestly, I thought that the kids had the familiar cartoon character, snob-like, smartalic voices that we hear on television cartoons. I forget her name, but one of the girl characters didn't have a nice comment to say the entire episode and was extremely bratty. I don't think we should be want to model our kids after her.

Alas, I found the Kidsboro shows to be extremely obnoxious and distasteful.
"Providing the Scoop on Adventures in Odyssey, one cone at a time."
http://www.odysseyscoop.com | Personal Site: http://www.jacobisom.org
Dave
Classic

Post by Dave »

I agree with Jacob on this one. Valerie is not a very likeable character, and some of the other kid characters in this show don't "ring true" (like Alice...). I thought the storyline was okay, but I didn't like some of the theories of government and ecomomics (or at least how they were put into practice--reminds me more of Obama than Washington), and a lot of the humor was not in line with other AIO shows (what's so funny about Valerie sitting on Nelson's chest or Alice throwing a kid against a wall and demanding to use a gun?).

In saying that, though, I'm still open to future Kidsboro shows. The concept is original and fun, but needs a little tweaking.

And real kids are always better than adult kids. :noway:
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Chandler wrote:But then I learned on whitsend.org that more shows are planned in the future and the kids will appear in "regular" episodes as well.
Boswell wrote:I wouldn't mind having a new three-parter Kidsboro once a year, outside the normal twelve-episode season. I don't expect this to happen, since the book series is supposed to take over from the radio episode, but I wouldn't object.
Starting with the 2009 season the "kidsboro" kids will be the new kids of odyssey (this already started in the truth chronicles), and using the town of kidsboro will kind of be like the imagination station, where it will pop up from time to time but won't be a part of most episodes, although a fourth episode of "kidsboro" is planned for the upcoming season, this one focusing on the freedom of speech.
Laura Ingalls wrote:Not that I hated it or anything - it just didn't seem like Odyssey with these totally new (adult sounding) kids popping up out of nowhere. :-$
I agree it didn't really seem like an AIO episode without all the characters that we're used to, but it's happened before where almost all of the characters get replaced without any introduction (ie. after the DBD album all the kids except for lucy we replaced) and it will mostly likely happen again in the future
Reddo
aiowiki - we have a lot of info, check us out sometime
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

I just looked at The Truth Chronicles on AIO Wiki and discovered that Nelson and Jill, at least, are also in some of the Truth Chronicles shows. I was not aware of that. I think a lot of people here probably haven't heard those shows yet. :-k
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Reddo wrote:I agree it didn't really seem like an AIO episode without all the characters that we're used to, but it's happened before where almost all of the characters get replaced without any introduction (ie. after the DBD album all the kids except for lucy we replaced) and it will mostly likely happen again in the future
Is that when the major split was? I thought it was when Whit returned. Perhaps I am incorrect, though.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

It was after album 28, Welcome Home. That's the album with "It's a Wrap!"

Oh, and speaking of adults trying to sound like kids... keep in mind that Aria Curzon (Mandy) is 21, Lauren Schaffel (Liz) is 20, and Corey Padnos (Trent) is nearly 20.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

Chandler wrote:Oh, and speaking of adults trying to sound like kids... keep in mind that Aria Curzon (Mandy) is 21, Lauren Schaffel (Liz) is 20, and Corey Padnos (Trent) is nearly 20.
Really? That is incredulous. When were the Official Guide pictures taken? They look like about fifteen years old in those pictures.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Bren
Be positive!

Post by Bren »

KODY 105 wrote:
Chandler wrote:Oh, and speaking of adults trying to sound like kids... keep in mind that Aria Curzon (Mandy) is 21, Lauren Schaffel (Liz) is 20, and Corey Padnos (Trent) is nearly 20.
Really? That is incredulous. When were the Official Guide pictures taken? They look like about fifteen years old in those pictures.
Good point. Sounds like something Trent might have the scoop on.
ImageImageImage
logos linked
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

KODY 105 wrote:
I don't know exactly when they were taken, but they definitely aren't recent photos. My guess is they were taken 3-5 years ago?
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I rated the Kidsboro episodes as average (which isn't a bad thing since the average AIO episode is enjoyable). The three-parter offered an overall enjoyable story that taught about integrity (e.g., Ryan got caught up in deception, was later seen returning change, and was restored to the mayoral position) and government (Loved how the kids kept coming back to Whit for advice/info in the first part). The idea of Valerie--pretty, mean, sister and bully to Nelson--kinda made things seem juvenile, but I won't let that ruin the episodes for me. I wouldn't mind hearing more Kidsboro episodes in the future.

I bought and read and enjoyed the first Kidsboro book in Colorado. There were additional great characters like a detective and a preacher, and I got a fuller sense of the whole town. (The audio show only has time to follow a few kids.)
No way I broke the window

Post by 31899 »

Well if you read the books you will realise a large difference between the episodes and the books and they changed the characters a lot. Also on the radio they made Vallery (spelling) peer evil and I thought that the episodes were a pour representation. But really this is just my opinion.

P.S. is my signature working
Follower of Christ
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Follower of Christ »

My younger sisters enjoy the shows with Kidsboro. I don't really like them as much as the older episodes.
Jesus is ready for anyone who is ready for him.