Disney drops "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"

Inside the theatre you're welcome to discuss your favorite television shows, musical artists, video games, books, movies, or anything popular culture!
greencardigan
Catspaw Rocks!

Disney drops "Voyage of the Dawn Treader"

Post by greencardigan »

http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=2035&dl=21743975

Disney will not finance "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader", which means Walden Media has to find another studio to produce it before they can begin making it.
Who do I belong To? Not Earth, Not world, Not Evil, Not mortals, Not wretches, Not horrors

Who do I belong to? Unchanging. Unbreaking. Unfailing. Creator. Immortal. Eternal

Surrender to the sound.
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

I was wondering when someone would post something about this! ;)

They dropped it Christmas Eve, if I remember correctly. I was in the car for a moment yesterday and thought I'd heard an update on them going ahead with it... but I forget what was said, and I can't find anything online. :(
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
mydoghasfleas
Processing
Location: im all in your head....heh.heh.heh, okay, fine FDL ,WI

Post by mydoghasfleas »

are you sure? it's set to release may, 2010. i know loser Disney dropped it, but i thought that Walden was still working on it.
your mom's so old when you tell her to act her age,

she turns to dust.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

darcie wrote:I was wondering when someone would post something about this! ;)
I did but it was in the Narnia forum. :-$
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

mydoghasfleas wrote:are you sure? it's set to release may, 2010. i know loser Disney dropped it, but i thought that Walden was still working on it.
Just because Walden is working on it doesn't mean it'll be made. If they can't get another major film distributor to partner up with them, it's unlikely the film will be produced.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Why would they drop it? Weren't the others doing well? Then again I don't know much about producing and stuff...
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Arwen wrote:Why would they drop it? Weren't the others doing well? Then again I don't know much about producing and stuff...
Prince Caspian didn't do as well in the box office as they had anticipated - and certainly not as well as its predecessor in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Based on their projections for future Narnia films, Disney probably figured it wasn't a franchise in which they should invest. Which could be a good thing if the right company decides to pick up where Disney left off. Otherwise it's buh-bye to Narnia.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
mydoghasfleas
Processing
Location: im all in your head....heh.heh.heh, okay, fine FDL ,WI

Post by mydoghasfleas »

where are you getting your information? Walden has made plenty of movies on it's own. and they already have most of the Narnian creatures made with CG. Of course since this one is at sea they need those new effects of course.
your mom's so old when you tell her to act her age,

she turns to dust.
Elf of Rivendell
random passerby elf
random passerby elf

Post by Elf of Rivendell »

Narniaweb is a pretty reliable source of information.

Hopefully they'll be able to find another company to fund the film!
sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope

sarai: rice cookerrrr
uz: 'ice coakrrrrr!!
uz: that's like the next gen shad lexoooooorrrrr
Laurie
Climbing the Ladder

Post by Laurie »

Elf of Rivendell wrote:
Hopefully they'll be able to find another company to fund the film!
I hope they find someone very soon. Georgie Henley and Skandar Keynes are not getting any younger.
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." Abraham Lincoln
greencardigan
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by greencardigan »

mydoghasfleas wrote:where are you getting your information? Walden has made plenty of movies on it's own. and they already have most of the Narnian creatures made with CG. Of course since this one is at sea they need those new effects of course.
Prince Caspien cost over $200 million to make. Walden Media doesn't have that kind of money, that's why they need a bigger studio to finance it.
Who do I belong To? Not Earth, Not world, Not Evil, Not mortals, Not wretches, Not horrors

Who do I belong to? Unchanging. Unbreaking. Unfailing. Creator. Immortal. Eternal

Surrender to the sound.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

How many Narnia fans are there in the world? Maybe if we all Paypal Walden a few bucks... \:D/
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

If it's done right, VotDT could easily become one of my favorite movies. It's already my second favorite book and my first favorite radio drama of the series. It should do well if THEY do it well.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
darcie
darcietastical
darcietastical

Post by darcie »

It should be, along with the first and the last, among the top movies of the series. It is definitely one of the more memorable of the books. For some weird reason we read this first and then went back to the beginning when I was a kid. But even in the read-through I did last year, I think this is one of the better stories. I'm guessing Disney's just being proactive and backing out now. One money earning film and six losers isn't good business. ;)
"I know nothing about internet dating sites other than the ToO." - Baragon
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Voyage was always my favorite book in the series...I was anticipating the movie. :(
Perron
Tallying up

Post by Perron »

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what a different director and company will do for the movie series. I'm hoping Dawn Treader will be better than the previous two.
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

I hope they can still make the movie. This was always my favorite book, and I was really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

I was sad when I saw the news on NarniaWeb a few weeks ago. :( I really hope they get someone else to pick it up! I was really looking forward to the next several movies.
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Elrohir
I'm memorable

Post by Elrohir »

Disney way overreacted here. Prince Caspian didn't so as well in theaters as they'd hoped so they reworked the marketing campaign for the DVD release. Apparently it didn't meet their expectations, despite being one of the top-selling DVD of the year. Whoever made this decision is ignorant of the Narnia books. Prince Caspian is the least popular book in the series and it still did well. Dawn Treader is probably the most popular book in the series. I have a feeling Disney is gonna regret this decision when DT comes out.

It will be interesting to see what kind of impact a new studio co-financing along with Walden will have on DT. I just hope it doesn't delay the movie any longer.
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

Disney's loss. I just hope WM can find a new partner FAST, I can't wait forever! And as the site said, "The actors aren't getting any younger." Are they going to pull a Harry Potter? \:D/

-Robo