Paradise Lost

Have you ever read it?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Hannahjiejie
Animatronic

Paradise Lost

Post by Hannahjiejie »

Currently I am reading Paradise Lost by John Milton. Has anybody read it? It is one of the best books that I have ever read.
Paradise Lost is about Adam and Eve--how they came to be created and how they came to lose their place in the Garden of Eden, also called Paradise. It's the same story you find in the first pages of Genesis, expanded by Milton into a very long, detailed, narrative poem. It also includes the story of the origin of Satan. Originally, he was called Lucifer, an angel in heaven who led his followers in a war against God, and was ultimately sent with them to hell. Thirst for revenge led him to cause man's downfall by turning into a serpent and tempting Eve to eat the forbidden fruit.
I could be a movie, the way it is written.
KODY 105
Radio Station
Radio Station

Post by KODY 105 »

I have never read it, nor do I think I have the time to. It is indeed a classic, though. I have a hard time with most classics due to the unusual grammar and vocabulary.
ToO siblings: Donna Blackbeard, Perron, Evil Chick, American Eagle, Stubborn, Shadowfax, and thelordismyshepherd (aka Anna), but StrongNChrist is my twin!
StrongNChrist, deceased 03-25-11, requiescat in pace :mecry: :mecry: :mecry:
Thursday Next
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Thursday Next »

I read it. I at one point had Paradise Lost along with Paradise Regained.
Jugglah
I'm memorable

Post by Jugglah »

Yeah, I read it. You're right, it's a really good book. Milton had a very readable writing style considering how long ago he lived.
KING BUTTER TURTLE IS MY TWIN!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've read parts of it for an English class, but not the whole thing. I forget which parts/books I read by now, but it was interesting.
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

I've always had an interest to read it, but never got around to it, because my memory is horrible, and well... I don't know anyone with a copy, oddly enough.... hmm...
Hannahjiejie
Animatronic

Post by Hannahjiejie »

Catspaw wrote:I've read parts of it for an English class, but not the whole thing. I forget which parts/books I read by now, but it was interesting.
How could you only read some of it? I can't put it down, it is so good! Books 3&4 especially.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Hannahjiejie wrote:
Catspaw wrote:I've read parts of it for an English class, but not the whole thing. I forget which parts/books I read by now, but it was interesting.
How could you only read some of it? I can't put it down, it is so good! Books 3&4 especially.
When you're taking 5 or 6 college classes that all require you to read stuff and write papers and do group projects, it gets easier to put books down once you're done with the required parts. ;)
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Catspaw is correct. That is what it is like for my sister. SHe hardly has time to read other things other than her required history books and CHild Psychology stuff... she did manage to read Twilight in a week, but other than that, she doesn't get much time like us Highschoolers or those that aren't in college...
Hannahjiejie
Animatronic

Post by Hannahjiejie »

Catspaw wrote:
Hannahjiejie wrote:
When you're taking 5 or 6 college classes that all require you to read stuff and write papers and do group projects, it gets easier to put books down once you're done with the required parts. ;)
I totally understand, I would do the same thing, but with great regret.

such a great book