Confessions of a Referee

Any referees out there?

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Confessions of a Referee

Post by Trent DeWhite »

As some of you may know, I am working this summer as a soccer referee. Although it's my third year, I still learn new things from the games I've reffed. It's been a great boost to self-confidence and has helped improve my people management skills. Not the most enjoyable thing to do, mind you. :-

Allow me to relay an interesting experience I had today.

-------------------------------------

This past weekend, I refereed nine recreational soccer games. While refereeing Saturday's girls games was relatively boring and uneventful, today's game was the exact opposite. Most definitely. For today was the boys' day. Even though it was still recreational soccer, a fews of the teams had some players capable of playing for a competitive team. These particular players seemed to make it a routine to challenge the opposing player by throwing their shoulder into the opponent. :P What made it was worse is that, although I would call a foul, they would continue this throughout the game.

:insane:

Anyhow, the third game I refereed today included two teams (Smith Falls versus Kemptville) that had already developed a rivalry through previously played league games. In the end, I had to give out one yellow card and several warnings to a number of players. Then there was this annoying know-it-all parent. Gotta love 'em. :roll:

However, this game was nothing compared to the fifth and final game I refereed today. Lo and behold, Smith Falls was playing again. This time versus the Ottawa Internationals. The game started with a bang, as several players resumed their push-and-shove tricks in order to take control of the ball. There were also several questionable slide tackles... from behind. I should've carded a couple players early on, but I didn't. ](*,) As the intensity increased, players began to go for the player rather than the ball... and by the ten minute mark, I had already given out a yellow card. Things settled down in the second part of the first half (each half consisted of 25 minutes).

However, in the second half, things began to get nasty again. Players began making careless (and arguably intentional) tackles and other various fouls. Things really got heated with less than ten minutes left in the game, as a few players began verbal attacks on each other. I had to give out two more yellows to two feuding players. Then the same know-it-all parent started yelling at me. On one occassion, I called a penalty shot against his team on an obvious trip in the box... "WHAT?" screamed the guy. It was almost amusing. But what really made me smirk was when one woman randomly shouted, "You're losing control of the game, ref!" That must be one of the most overused phrases at a soccer game. Seriously. The blame always falls on the ref... just zip it won't you?

:shutup:

Thank you. What really ticked me off, however, was what occured at the end of the game. I blew the final three whistles... and guess who storms up to greet me with an evil look on his face? Mr. I-Have-Referee-Papers-At-Home himself. He started by getting terribly upset for me not acknowledging his screams of frustration. Then he went on to say how poorly reffed the game was and that he wanted to get my name or some kind of registration number... so he could report me! :help:

Looking terribly idiotic, the man continued to follow me as I walked to the referee's tent. Along the way, a bunch of parents (from the other team) applauded me for a "good game" and started giving the angry parent a hard time. Many thanks to the fellow who eventually dissuaded him from actually getting any information from me. =D> Although I kept my cool and tried not to show any signs of anxiety, I was freaking out inside. :mad: This guy was threatening me and I didn't appreciate it. A couple parents came up to me afterwards and gave me some encouraging words. :hug:

I spoke with the coach from the Ottawa Internationals. He explained, with a significantly cooler head than the steaming parent, that I probably should've given out cards right from the get-go. I admitted my mistake and I think he appreciated it. We both agreed that it was a tough game to manage, considering the circumstances. I left the field traumatized (almost ;))... yet I learned much from the whole ordeal. Particularly the whole issue of taking control of a game. There's a certain extent to which a referee can take control of a game. On the flip side, there's a point at which a referee cannot take control. This last game was a mix of both.

Even though the parent was such a-- :-#, I'm thankful that God helped me to remain calm and fairly reasonable while dealing with this not-so-gentle gentleman. O:)

-------------------------------------

Anyone else ref or has reffed in the past? Share your similar experiences here. :D
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

Good for you in keeping your cool and you learned something and that is great.

But sometimes you really wonder if refs get the wrong prescription glasses on purpose to tick people off. There's this one time at Football game where the Blue Bombers (CFL) were returning a punt and our player got a dirty clothes line and the ref was like 5 feet away and didn't see it and there was no call. They kempt showing it on the screens and the stadium over and over again and the crowd you booed in louder each time.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Bmuntz wrote:But sometimes you really wonder if refs get the wrong prescription glasses on purpose to tick people off. There's this one time at Football game where the Blue Bombers (CFL) were returning a punt and our player got a dirty clothes line and the ref was like 5 feet away and didn't see it and there was no call. They kempt showing it on the screens and the stadium over and over again and the crowd you booed in louder each time.
Heh, as a referee, I've learned to sympathize with them more often. Even when they make dumb calls. ;)

It's a thankless job, really. Rarely do people compliment refs on a job well done, but they're certainly quick to pounce on the refs when they miss even one call.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

I've never been a ref, but I have criticized a lot of referee decisions. :anxious: It is much easier to see stuff from one's individual point of view, without seeing the good stuff that a ref does.

I'm sorry that you had such a rough time, Trent, but at least you got through it! \:D/ You can proudly state that you are more mature than a bunch of adults, since some of them were the ones being rude and irrational. O:) Good job on keeping your cool in the face of adversity!
Jennifer Doyle
An original

Post by Jennifer Doyle »

I've never reffed (sp?) but I can appriciate the job the umpires do for my fastpitch games. As a coach this year, I see that their job is hard, but fortuanatly, we don't have screaming parents or mean umps.

I feel for you though, sheesh. Some parents should be arrested for getting so worked up about stuff. IT'S JUST A GAME!
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right even though I think it is hopeless.” Chester W. Nimitz
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Catspaw wrote:It is much easier to see stuff from one's individual point of view, without seeing the good stuff that a ref does.
So true. I've been a player, coach, and referee. As such, I've definitely come to understand and appreciate the frustrations of all three positions. But I still get upset at refs ever now and again. :anxious:
Me
An original

Post by Me »

After reading that, I'm glad I'm not a ref. I love how you bolded various words.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Heh, it's the money that makes me press forward. :-$

;)
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

I reffed when I was on staff last week, with a friend of mine. It was....interesting. I had to nearly yell at one kid to get him to play, and we had to be on the field in the midst of the action to see what was going on. Plus, it was on a very muddy field, and the first day, everyone who played was covered in mud. Nasty.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Bearliz wrote:I reffed when I was on staff last week, with a friend of mine. It was....interesting. I had to nearly yell at one kid to get him to play, and we had to be on the field in the midst of the action to see what was going on. Plus, it was on a very muddy field, and the first day, everyone who played was covered in mud. Nasty.
Wait, you nearly yelled at a kid to get him to play? :shock:

Playing or refereeing in the mud is not fun.
Chandler

Post by Chandler »

Quite a fascinating topic... wish I had something to share in here. Thanks for posting all those interesting anecdotes Trent. :)
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

I've been givven a yellow card by a ref before. :anxious:
Image [img]
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

:badgrin:
Linne
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Linne »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
Bearliz wrote:I reffed when I was on staff last week, with a friend of mine. It was....interesting. I had to nearly yell at one kid to get him to play, and we had to be on the field in the midst of the action to see what was going on. Plus, it was on a very muddy field, and the first day, everyone who played was covered in mud. Nasty.
Wait, you nearly yelled at a kid to get him to play? :shock:
He was the camp troublemaker, and I was already irritated with him. But I exhibited self-control and didn't yell. :)
JesusFreak777
Expecting a battle

Post by JesusFreak777 »

Chandler wrote:Quite a fascinating topic... wish I had something to share in here. Thanks for posting all those interesting anecdotes Trent. :)

Chandler tsk tsk :shame:

my sister haas played soccer almost her entire life. i can understand frustrations with the ref. Another friend of mine has been a ref though so I can see that sicde too. In the end, players need to stop misbehaving and refs need to not miss any calls. ;) Kidding Trent.
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

Trent DeWhite wrote:Image

:badgrin:
ha it was nothing bad really. I only stopped a ball with my hands right in front of the net. and I wasn't the goalie BTW. :anxious:
Image [img]
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

mellow wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote::badgrin:
ha it was nothing bad really. I only stopped a ball with my hands right in front of the net. and I wasn't the goalie BTW. :anxious:
Uh, that's an indirect free kick for the opposing team. Possibly a caution (yellow card) if you said anything back to the ref. A red card if you intentionally stopped the ball with your hands. :-#
mr. mellow
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by mr. mellow »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
mellow wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote::badgrin:
Uh, that's an indirect free kick for the opposing team. Possibly a caution (yellow card) if you said anything back to the ref. A red card if you intentionally stopped the ball with your hands. :-#
well yeah they did get a free kick....and they scored and I wouldn't say it was intentionaly stopped well Ok it sorta was it was just reflexes. but it was cool cause I was really mad that they scored so I took the ball all the way to the othere end and was just abbout to score when a guy dripped my in the box. so I got a free kick and scored and got back the goal. \:D/
Image [img]
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

mellow wrote:well yeah they did get a free kick....and they scored and I wouldn't say it was intentionaly stopped well Ok it sorta was it was just reflexes.
Well, if the ball was headed toward your face or something, then I can see why you used your hand(s) to stop it. If you were merely doing it in an act of defense, I probably would not have called the free kick. But if you'd stuck your hand(s) to stop it, then the free kick was probably warranted.
mellow wrote:it was cool cause I was really mad that they scored so I took the ball all the way to the othere end and was just abbout to score when a guy dripped my in the box. so I got a free kick and scored and got back the goal. \:D/
Nice! =D>