The Shack

Have you read it?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

The Shack

Post by Evil Chick »

Have you read The Shack by William P. Young? If so, what are your thoughts? I had heard good and bad things about it, so I decided to read it a couple of weeks ago, and I'd like to know what others thinks of it.
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Shadowfax

Post by Shadowfax »

I haven't read it, but I have heard that it is AMAZING! What did/do you think of it?
Ruthie
de lah rutheh rank
de lah rutheh rank

Post by Ruthie »

It's heresy. (I'm too tired to explain much now...)
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

Wow this is so weird. My parents just read that book. They said it was good.
Danadelfos
Lounge Fanatic
Lounge Fanatic

Post by Danadelfos »

It's probably one of the the most heretical fiction books ever written. Trashy book.
Life with God is not immunity from difficulties, but peace in difficulties. ~ C.S. Lewis
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

http://www.challies.com/archives/book-r ... -young.php

Based on this in depth review, I probably will not be picking it up.
This large and oh-so-stereotypical matronly African-American woman is God (or at least an anthropomorphism of God she chose to take on in order to communicate with Mack). Throughout the story she is known as Papa. Near the end, because Mack requires a father figure, she turns into a pony-tailed, grey-haired man, but otherwise God is this woman. Jesus is a young to middle-aged man of Middle-Eastern (i.e. Jewish) descent with a big nose and rather plain looks while the Holy Spirit is played by Sarayu, a small, delicate and eclectic woman of Asian descent.
lol.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

I'm started reading through it last night... I've only gotten through the first three chapters, but so far so good. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
fireflygirl_01
Found
Location: just sitting in the hall; waiting for the darkness to consume me

Post by fireflygirl_01 »

Dr. Watson wrote:http://www.challies.com/archives/book-r ... -young.php

Based on this in depth review, I probably will not be picking it up.
This large and oh-so-stereotypical matronly African-American woman is God (or at least an anthropomorphism of God she chose to take on in order to communicate with Mack). Throughout the story she is known as Papa. Near the end, because Mack requires a father figure, she turns into a pony-tailed, grey-haired man, but otherwise God is this woman. Jesus is a young to middle-aged man of Middle-Eastern (i.e. Jewish) descent with a big nose and rather plain looks while the Holy Spirit is played by Sarayu, a small, delicate and eclectic woman of Asian descent.
lol.
it's actually not that bad once you start reading it. they get into discussing some really engaging stuff.
~O sNaP ItS fIrEfLy~
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I started reading it a couple of months ago, and then it started to get really weird in my opinion and I figured; I've got better things to do!
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

I haven't read it--partly because my reading time is currently restricted to textbooks and case studies and other school research ;)

I only just heard about it the other day, and I haven't heard anything good about it yet, so I probably won't be reading it.
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

The first half is just weird, but the last few chapters make a slightly veiled teaching against all rules and responsibility. The characters are more accident prone than the three stooges. And the murderer is cliched to the point of absurdity.

Yes, this is a negative review.

EDIT: And there's too much kissing.
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

I'm not allowed to read it.
StrongNChrist
A Silent Prayer Warrior

Post by StrongNChrist »

I read it just recently and I did not like it. It was totally wrong in my thoughts.
~Forever at her Savior's side.~
Evil Chick
Miss Whit's End

Post by Evil Chick »

Well, I originally heard about the book when I read the review on Boundless. I was shocked that anyone would even write a book like that, and I thought I would never read it. A couple of weeks later, my uncle and aunt and cousins all sent out their own reviews, saying that it was the best book they'd ever read, and that everyone should read it. Since I had such vastly contrasting opinions on the matter, I decided to get the book and read it and form my own opinion. I went at it cautiously and discerningly, trying not to be swayed by the information I had already read.

I was surprised. It was, in my opinion, not heretical, nor was it the best book I had ever read. It didn't change my life. But it definitely challenged me to think outside the box. I would definitely recommend this book, although I would issue a caution along with the recommendation. I would not agree with all of Young's theology. However, I do think that a lot of the things he said that are somewhat different from the way we normally view things are very purposeful, and have helped me gain a clearer understanding of God. I definitely think it's important to be careful and not blindly accept everything he says. But I also think that it is a challenging book that should not be simply stamped as heretical and tossed away without a second thought. Especially if your opinions are based on a review of the book, and not on your having read the book yourself.

Those are merely my thoughts on the book. You're welcome to disagree with me. ;)
May Zarkouni Live Forever! :goomba:
Well, Washington has been gratuitously compensated like forever by the credit companies.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

*burns William P. Young in effigy* :protest:
dodobirdeee
Gold Member

Post by dodobirdeee »

I've heard about it, and I want to read it just for the mystery sake. I've heard it doesn't exactly follow with our Christian faith concerning the Trinity and such.
birdeee
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I read the book on recommendation from some ladies I go to church with. I will admit that it was one of the strangest, and I certainly didn't agree with everything, but I'd actually recommend it to an older, more mature Christian to read. It'll really get you thinking. God is not what my mind wants to make Him. He is above and beyond anything I could ever imagine. I think this book aptly demonstrates that fact.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Jeremy
Smile for the camera

Post by Jeremy »

It's heresy. See this review from Chuck Swindoll's site: http://www.insight.org/site/PageServer?pagename=shack

Jeremy
Jonathan
Dungeon Master

Post by Jonathan »

Arwen wrote:God is not what my mind wants to make Him. He is above and beyond anything I could ever imagine. I think this book aptly demonstrates that fact.
While it's true that he's bigger than anything we could imagine, we still know at least something as revealed in scripture. Stacking the Shack up to what has been revealed to us isn't out of line and leaves the book severely lacking.

Of course, this is just based on reviews I've read, both by those who liked the book and those that haven't. I plan on reading it--next on my book list, actually--but just going on what I've heard, I haven't been very impressed.

edit--Turns out I've posted here before saying I wasn't going to read it, well, there's a reason that's changed. I've had enough people tell me it's good so that I decided I should read it just so I know what's in it and can defend my position. It's the same rationale I had for watching the Da Vinci Code. Now I can say I know where of I speak.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

Understood, and agreed. I definitely read the book from more of a skeptic's stance, since I'm even more wary of the messages and doctrines contained in modern "Christian" literature. What I found was that, while I didn't necessarily agree with the way everything was portrayed, I didn't feel that the author was trying to push some weird view of God or the Bible. The point was that God's attributes, plan, and ways He chooses to carry that plan out are all different from what we often expect. I'll maintain that I did not find it to be a book that was rich in doctrine or sound teaching, but the point of it was to make me think, and it did that.

But I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions when you read it yourself. :-)
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless