Twilight

and the other books of the series...

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")

Do you want to read it?

I've already read it.
28%
Yeah
11%
Kinda sorta
8%
No
44%
I'm not aloud
3%
Maybe in the future
6%

Total votes: 36

Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

A [Christian] review about the series

It disgusts me. I would never waste my time with books like that. Give me Bryan Davis, Ted Dekker, or any other author who writes books with meaning in them.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

I finish New Moon yesterday (the second book).

I can not see why theses are such hit sellers! Seriously they are kinda slow and a little boring. She really decribes TOO mich! But I read them because I just want to see what happens next.
Arwen
No way I broke the window

Post by Arwen »

I_<3_Kaka wrote:A [Christian] review about the series

It disgusts me. I would never waste my time with books like that. Give me Bryan Davis, Ted Dekker, or any other author who writes books with meaning in them.
Yeah...but Plugged In is not always as objective as they could be. I read that review before I read the books, and the books were way better than they were made out to be.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
-Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless
Sherlock
Solicitor Non Grata

Post by Sherlock »

In debating with an acquaintance of mine over whether I was reading too much into the old-fashioned values of chastity and self-sacrifice in the books, I was sent the link to this article which confirms what I already had assumed about the author - that she actually DID intend for the story to be a deviation from the norm in this regard.

And while I disagree with her portrayal of certain scenes in the book, I did find the following article to be somewhat refreshing. Similarly, I am interested as to why the Christian reviewers have (seemingly) ignored the obvious. Here's an excerpt:
Old-fashioned romance

One of the attractions of the Twilight series for female readers is the old-fashioned romance centred around Edward's strict moral code.

``The idea of a man being a gentleman has gone out of style,'' Meyer laments.

``It's seen as olde-worlde charm, people miss the fact that people are no longer considerate. Edward goes to great lengths so nothing bad happens to Bella, she is cared for so much. A lot of the book's appeal is the thought of being loved to that extent.

``There has been some antagonism from men about Edward. They are jealous because they don't want to try that hard.''

Meyer writes about sacrifice with such power and real emotion through experience. She studied English at Brigham Young University, a college run by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Utah, and adhered to a strict college honour code.

``It's nothing different from the way I live my life, following the rules,'' she says.

``I'm a black and white person, I have first-hand experience in making those sacrifices. Maybe that's why I was engaged a couple of times to different boys in college.

``Mormons tend to get married early. We don't believe in sex before marriage.

``The media would like to tell us that boys can't help themselves, that there's an inbuilt sex drive so they can't hold themselves back, but there are so many great men out there, who make decisions based on moral standards. They do the right thing. Men like Edward do exist,'' Meyer insists.

``The sacrifice is worth it. Both my husband and I were very committed to chastity before marriage. It has helped our long-term relationship, to keep control of ourselves.''

Edward needs a huge amount of self-control simply to sit with Bella because the smell of her blood is like a drug. They have to limit the physical extent of their love so Edward can resist feeding on Bella.

Meyer says she withstood pressure from an editor to put a sex scene in Eclipse and is glad most of her fans backed her stand, although she has received flak from some other fans.

``You want books to pause over the first kiss,'' Meyer says. ``Books can miss a lot of the romance because they go straight to the sex part. It's encouraging that children have not changed as much as people think, that there is a place for romance and sweetness.

``It's a really good sign that children want to be children and adults want to be children again and experience that first kiss. I wish more of them didn't feel pressure to have sex. I know sex sells but I think romance does, too, especially if you do something well and there is obviously a need out there for more books like this.''
The complete article can be found here:
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Cool. I hadn't read that. Even if she is a Mormon...:(
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof; is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Sweetie
Found

Post by Sweetie »

I haven't read the book..or books but I really want to see the movie;)
Now it's too late for you and your white horse to come around....
fireflygirl_01
Found
Location: just sitting in the hall; waiting for the darkness to consume me

Post by fireflygirl_01 »

This is second on my list of 'most addicting book series ever' (harry potter being the first)

me and my friend marie are planning to leave school early to go see the movie when it comes out
~O sNaP ItS fIrEfLy~
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

Oh no. It's hit thetoo too!! At school. All my girl friends have been passing around the book and talking about how amazing it is. All I know is that it's about a vampire that doesn't eat his girlfriend. How can this be so addicting? I have no idea...
I do what I do.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

GlennAdams wrote:Oh no. It's hit thetoo too!! At school. All my girl friends have been passing around the book and talking about how amazing it is. All I know is that it's about a vampire that doesn't eat his girlfriend. How can this be so addicting? I have no idea...
Ha, I used to wonder what in the world made Harry Potter so addicting...
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

LizzieG wrote:
GlennAdams wrote:Oh no. It's hit thetoo too!! At school. All my girl friends have been passing around the book and talking about how amazing it is. All I know is that it's about a vampire that doesn't eat his girlfriend. How can this be so addicting? I have no idea...
Ha, I used to wonder what in the world made Harry Potter so addicting...
I don't know.. the intrigue of magic powers when there really is no such thing? (we could argue, but I'm not going there). Same goes for Twilight. Vampire? No such thing (again, we could argue, but no). Vegetarian vampire? Oh puhlease.

My sister owns and has read all four books. She likes them.. Brittni is on... the third one, says she likes them.. and whenever my sister gets herself up here, I will try and start Twilight... but I don't know. I don't give much of a care.. sound like warped books to me. HP anyday. Give me! The movie sounds ridiculous... But, then again, every comic book or book must become a movie if it was a best seller... seriously.... there are so many books out there that could become movies, and they pick the LAME ones> (apart from HP and a few others).

Okay, I'm good... I don't really want to read, but actually, sissy is forcing me...
Arwen

Post by Arwen »

Well don't read them 'cause your FORCED to...I don't think that works well for making someone like the books...

Seriously, though, it's way different from anything I expected. It's very simply written, but intriguing, and it's a storyline that's different. It's not one of those "just like all the others" books.

Not sure how the movie'll be, though...
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

I am borrowing the book Eclipse from a friends because I didn't want to by the hard back. I haven;t really started it yet but on the back of the book there is two iron things that you can iron to your shirt.

One says Team Edward in red writeing and Team Jacob in black writing. I thought this was hilarous! Me and my friend were making fun of it! \:D/
Oba-rai
Blackgaard Prankster
Blackgaard Prankster

Post by Oba-rai »

bumping this thread to say that I read the book in two separate sittings.
I found it more of an interesting read than I expected, but I also still cannot stand the main character, Edward, most of the Cullens, and just about everyone else.
the quiet girl is the only one who seems even slightly deep.
and Bella is laaaame. laaaame I say.

but I am marginally masochistic so I will probably end up reading the next books. for the lulz.
they may be copper,
annoying little coins! but,
they might be giants.
save your pandas: vote racecar!
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

I am almost 200 pages into Twilight, and find it lame and half boring... but, since I'm reading it, and will finish it before November, I am half attempted to join forces with Alisha, Brittni, Delisa, and Courtney so we can see the movie all together when it comes out... I wonder what scenes they will add and how it will play out..

SPOILER:
I'm at the part where Bella finally gets to figuring out Edward and his 5 other siblings are vampires... weird how they call themselves vegetarians. It's wierd though... really.

But, well, overall, wierd book... and I guess I'll just have to press on... their have been favorable moments though.

SPOILER:
I love how Bella just really gets annoyed with the shiny Volvo and it's owner. "Stupid shiny volvo owner."
I also like her theories. Either Bruce Wayne (BATMAN!), or Peter Parker (Spiderman). I would have thought more acuratley Bruce Wayne or actually Clark Kent, you know, Superman? SOunds better then Spidy... that one is just lame... even though I did find a connection through the movies... dont' ask.

There we go...
Smaug the Dragon
If posts were pigs...

Post by Smaug the Dragon »

Hah, my friend just got really TOTALLY obsessed with these books a while ago and now my whole class loves them... I never thought I'd try them, (being a little wary of reading a book about vampires) but maybe I'll try them now... I do like fantasy and romance...
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

ok I'm more than half way done with Ecplise but I have to say it's the most intersting out of them all so far. It really gives you hisory of spolier warningJasper, Roselie, the werewolfs

I like it though it is S L O W!!!
Anna><>
A great mapmaker

Post by Anna><> »

epic123 wrote:What do you think about the Twilight book series by Stephenie Meyer.

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilight.html

There also is a movie coming out based on the books on December 12th 2008.

It's a big hit at my school right now. My parents aren't sure they want me to read it or not. So my dad is reading it to see anything bad is in it.

It's a love story between a girl and vampire. My parents don't like the whole vampire evil thing.
I liked the first book, but I'm not allowed to read the rest. My parents don't like vampires either.
Battle Cry
Not as new

Post by Battle Cry »

I heard about Twilight from a ton of people, and since it's a vampire book I just had to read it.

Twilight was a bit boring, but once it got near the end of the book it got WAY better.

New Moon was way better then the first book, I liked Bella's character alot more

Eclipse was really great

Breaking Dawn was terrible for the first 400 pages after that it got a bit better. around page 500 it got really good, I was REALLY getting into the book. and when I finished it I was so disappointed
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Battle Cry wrote:when I finished it I was so disappointed
Yeah, my sister said the same thing. She says you keep wondering when something will happen, and then bang, well... yeah... I don't know... ah! Frustrates me when people write books, and are bad at it to boot.. no matter how well the book sells.
Battle Cry
Not as new

Post by Battle Cry »

The fourth book was like a bad FanFiction that the wrighter just wanted to end quickly.