Favourite Book Authors?

"Books? You want books?! Ha! We've got books on hairy otters, on onions and on mars! All the fungus you could care for, plus, three triple zillion stars. We've got books on flossing teeth, plus three books on tossing sheep. If we spent our lives just counting books, we'd never get to sleep!" -Leopold the Librarian ("The Great Wishy Woz")
Shadowfax

Favourite Book Authors?

Post by Shadowfax »

Robin Hardy, Sigmund Brouwer, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Ted Dekker \:D/
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

Kristina Gregory, Dee Henderson, Max Lucado, Dan Brown, Beverly Lewis, Laura Ingalls Wilder (um... yeah?), J.K. Rowling, Lurlene McDaniels, Ted Dekker, and so many others... can't think right now!

EDIT: Melody Carlson....and I'm at a stand still again.... (goes home to check books)
Last edited by Danielle Abigail Maxwell on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

Melody Carlson, Laurie Halse Anderson, Lisi Harrison, Blue Balliet....I think that's it. I mostly have favorite books, not favorite authors.

<3<3<3
BBB
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Jane Austen, Lois Lowry, CS Lewis, Bodie and Brock Thoene, Dan Brown

I have way more, but that's all I can think of right now :p
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I used to be a huge fan of Dekker but his more recent books I feel have lost his old flame or whatever. :( I still haven't read Skin or... whatever came out after that. Skin is the last one I bought, I just haven't read it yet. So if anyone can tell me Skin or anything after that has gotten better than Showdown and Saint I will be happy. ;)

I can't think of any fiction others that I am really into right now, although I've heard good things about the newest Brad Thor book... I'd like to read it but have no idea if I'd like it or not. ;)

As for nonfiction I really like Glenn Beck's two books and almost any autobiography by a wrestler is good! \:D/ I just picked up Chris Jericho's. \:D/
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Shadowfax wrote:Robin Hardy, Sigmund Brouwer, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Ted Dekker \:D/
Yay for another Sigmund Brouwer fan! \:D/ I haven't read his newer stuff, but I've read all his old kids books, some of them multiple times, and his older adult stuff too. Good times!

I love books by Robin Jones Gunn and L.M. Montgomery! :D I find it really hard to name favourites because there are lots of books that I like by lots of different authors, but are they "favourites"? The authors that I listed there have lots of books that I have loved for many years and have read multiple times and continue to love, so those are definitely favourites!
EK
The Original EK
The Original EK

Post by EK »

Catspaw wrote:
Shadowfax wrote:Robin Hardy, Sigmund Brouwer, J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Ted Dekker \:D/
Yay for another Sigmund Brouwer fan! \:D/ I haven't read his newer stuff, but I've read all his old kids books, some of them multiple times, and his older adult stuff too. Good times!

I love books by Robin Jones Gunn and L.M. Montgomery! :D I find it really hard to name favourites because there are lots of books that I like by lots of different authors, but are they "favourites"? The authors that I listed there have lots of books that I have loved for many years and have read multiple times and continue to love, so those are definitely favourites!
Was it you or Darcie who was a big Jane Austen fan? :-k
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

I don't really have a favorite author. I read a large variety of books. My favorites are classic novels.
I do what I do.
Termite
Bard of Silly Annoyance
Bard of Silly Annoyance

Post by Termite »

Oh, man... Bryan Davis, Ted Dekker, Frank E. Peretti, John Ronald Reuel Tolkein, Wayne Thomas Batson, Francine Rivers, Clive Staples Lewis, and... sheesh. So many others.
Love you always, SnC
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?" -Albert Einstein
oy_mate
Tallying up

Post by oy_mate »

Brandilyn Collins is reallly awesome.
C.S. Lewis.
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

ek wrote:
Catspaw wrote:

I like Jane Austen's books, as well as the movies that were made from them, but I don't think that she counts as a favourite for me. I want to say that Darcie wouldn't list herself as a Jane Austen fanatic either, but my memory isn't good enough for me to say for sure!
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

Catspaw wrote:
ek wrote:
Catspaw wrote:

I like Jane Austen's books, as well as the movies that were made from them, but I don't think that she counts as a favourite for me. I want to say that Darcie wouldn't list herself as a Jane Austen fanatic either, but my memory isn't good enough for me to say for sure!
I feel so betrayed :(

Jane Austen PWNS all other authors! :x

*looks at her Mr. Darcy wallpaper*
"Any aspect of your faith which you do not question, is the one which should be questioned most."
"I totally approve of toddlers getting married." -Continental Admiral (aka Baragon)
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

My top 4 list

4. Lemony Snicket. He has got to be one of the funniest authors I have ever read. His books just crack me up. The very idea of making a book series about unfortunate events happining to three children is hilarious. Even watching him on youtube is great. Check him out if you've never read his series, even if you are an adult, he is just that great.

3. C. S. Lewis. The author of some of the most amazing books ever, definitly deserves this spot for writing Narnia mostly, although his Screwtape Letters are good too. Besides, C. S. Lewis, just pwns.

2. L. Frank Baum. If you don't know who he is, you aren't alone. I didn't know who he was until about a week ago. This author put a political undercurent into all of his books. He still managed to make one of the best book series in all of literature. This series has been beloved by 5 generations of fans. He is credited for the first ever American fairy tale, which spawned 49 sequals. Yes I am talking about the beloved Wizard of Oz.

1. J. K. Rowling. The only author to ever become a billionare with some of the best books in literature definitly deserves the top spot, we can only hope Ms. Rowling that you will somday write a sequal or mabye a prequal (stares hopefully at JK)
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

Kait wrote:
Catspaw wrote:
ek wrote:
Catspaw wrote:

I feel so betrayed :(

Jane Austen PWNS all other authors! :x

*looks at her Mr. Darcy wallpaper*
I am very sorry. :( I do love Mr. Darcy, don't get me wrong, but I'm not as involved with Jane Austen's characters as I am with some other authors. She doesn't fall into the "talk about the characters like they're real people and like them better and care about them more than actual family members (okay, I'm about half kidding on the last point ;))" category like Christy and Todd (Robin Jones Gunn) or Anne and Gil (L.M. Montgomery). That's why I find the idea of favourites to be a tricky one. What level of enjoyment/dedication do I have to reach to label something a favourite? That's why I kept my list so short.

[/end long ramble nobody cares about] ;)
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

I like the following book authors, they're in no special-type order (I'll post my favorite of there books in brackets):

-JRR Tolken [The Hobbit]

-Rand Miller [MYST: The Book Ti'Ana]

-CS Lewis [CoN: The Silver Chair]

-Lemony Snicket [SoUE: The Vile Village]

-Clive Staples Lewis[ST: Out of the Silent Planet]

-Doug TenNapel [Creature Tech]

Well that last one is a Graphic Novel writer, but that should still count. :D

-Robo
Kait
Feminazi Extraordinaire

Post by Kait »

The Ghost of Robo wrote:I like the following book authors, they're in no special-type order (I'll post my favorite of there books in brackets):

-JRR Tolken [The Hobbit]

-Rand Miller [MYST: The Book Ti'Ana]

-CS Lewis [CoN: The Silver Chair]

-Lemony Snicket [SoUE: The Vile Village]

-Clive Staples Lewis[ST: Out of the Silent Planet]

-Doug TenNapel [Creature Tech]

Well that last one is a Graphic Novel writer, but that should still count. :D

-Robo
You have CS Lewis twice on there? :anxious:

I totally read CS Lewis' Space Trilogy, too! They were awesome \:D/
Robo
A great mapmaker

Post by Robo »

Kait wrote:You have CS Lewis twice on there? :anxious:

I totally read CS Lewis' Space Trilogy, too! They were awesome \:D/
Duh. Isn't Mr. Lewis worth listing twice?

Yeah, it's a great series. But they got a little to long for me. But it doesn't mean I still don't like em. :)

-Robo
Danielle Abigail Maxwell
Odyssey Book Author
Odyssey Book Author

Post by Danielle Abigail Maxwell »

jasonjannajerryjohn wrote:My top 4 list

4. Lemony Snicket. He has got to be one of the funniest authors I have ever read. His books just crack me up. The very idea of making a book series about unfortunate events happining to three children is hilarious. Even watching him on youtube is great. Check him out if you've never read his series, even if you are an adult, he is just that great.

3. C. S. Lewis. The author of some of the most amazing books ever, definitly deserves this spot for writing Narnia mostly, although his Screwtape Letters are good too. Besides, C. S. Lewis, just pwns.

2. L. Frank Baum. If you don't know who he is, you aren't alone. I didn't know who he was until about a week ago. This author put a political undercurent into all of his books. He still managed to make one of the best book series in all of literature. This series has been beloved by 5 generations of fans. He is credited for the first ever American fairy tale, which spawned 49 sequals. Yes I am talking about the beloved Wizard of Oz.

1. J. K. Rowling. The only author to ever become a billionare with some of the best books in literature definitly deserves the top spot, we can only hope Ms. Rowling that you will somday write a sequal or mabye a prequal (stares hopefully at JK)

I agree with the JKRowling thing.... definitely... and it only started with some idea. Now look... 7 books and a billion dollars or so later, now look at her.... and those books are sure good.. I've read every one of them, and am going to read them again. (And no... I don't believe in witchcraft and wizardry... that's just stupid to believe in such stuff).
underdogfan710
Pilgrim

Post by underdogfan710 »

Melody Carlson and Nancy Rue. Past favorites include Ann M. Martin, Beverly Cleary, and Valerie Tripp.

Oh, and witchcraft does exist... :-#
God promises a safe landing, not smooth passage.

:shocking: + :jester: = :mad:
Sonshinegirl
Shining for the Son
Shining for the Son

Post by Sonshinegirl »

Oh let's see..Robin Jones Gunn (especially her teen books!), Brian Jaques, Melody Carlson (depending on the books), Gilbert Morris, Beverly Lewis, ect.

I, as others, tend to like certain book instead of certain authors. :)