Chess!

The world's best game!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Chess!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Anyone else here like to play chess? I love to play, except some people in my family (*ahem* *cough cough*) don't like to play with me.

I have a Chessmaster computer program, but it is slightly less satifying than facing off against a flesh and blood opponent.

At lunch hour at work, I sometimes play chess with a couple of other guys. We are fairly equal in skill; it is usually just a matter of who makes the first mistake that decides the game.

I say, there are quite talented chess players out there! The grandmasters, like Garry Kasparov, can play simultaneous matches (i.e. 50+) blindfolded! :shock:

So, does anyone else like to battle it out over the chessboard?

Cheerio
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I like chess. I can't find anyone that is evenly matched with me though. My dad is really good, and my siblings aren't as good as I am.
...I hate marquees.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Oohh, I might set up a contest in Odyssey 105, so people can play a PM chess game. Are you interested?
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

How would that work?
...I hate marquees.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Did someone mention chess? :inlove:

While I certainly enjoy this game of strategy, it seems there are few with whom to play. Probably because my sister isn't interested in playing... and my brother is too young. :anxious:

I certainly don't profess to be particularly great at this game, but I do enjoy the challenge... once or twice every couple years. :D

If anyone provides allows for real-time chess playing. \:D/
J-man wrote:How would that work?
You'd have to know chess notation.
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

I don't..
...I hate marquees.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Dr. Watson wrote:Do you know chess notation?
I'm assuming you meant me... and, yes, I do know chess notation. Although I admit is has been a while since I've had to use it. I might need to pull out the books off the shelf and do some reviewing. As long as both parties know proper notation, online chess can work wonderfully. Just a bit slower than usual. :-
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Check out this website to leanr more about chess notation, J-Man.
Fenix
The Rich

Post by Fenix »

I like chess I used to be in a chess club. Won many tournaments in many different cities. Dont play so much anymore becasue i m no longer a geek.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Ah, thanks. That was helpful. I don't typically use the descriptive notion... as long as I don't have to, anyway.

P-K4? :noway:

Everyone knows that's e4! ;)
Fenix wrote:I like chess I used to be in a chess club. Won many tournaments in many different cities. Dont play so much anymore becasue i m no longer a geek.
That's unfortunate. :(
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Fenix wrote:I like chess I used to be in a chess club. Won many tournaments in many different cities. Dont play so much anymore becasue i m no longer a geek.
:shock: chess players are geeks?
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Dr. Watson wrote:Check out this website to leanr more about chess notation, J-Man.
Thanks. Wow, that's not too hard.
...I hate marquees.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Nope, very simple. So if we played a chess game on PM, we would just send each other moves using the chess notation. \:D/
Bmuntz
Former Mayor

Post by Bmuntz »

I like a good game of Chess. I have played some on the computer. A friend and I like to play at school now and then but some of my other friends don't appreciate it so much and often ruin the game. Am not an great player but I'm decent at it and enjoy the challenge.

I would play in a contest if one were set up here.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Bmuntz wrote:I like a good game of Chess. I have played some on the computer. A friend and I like to play at school now and then but some of my other friends don't appreciate it so much and often ruin the game.
Ruin the game? Like throwing their hands up in the air and proceeding to overturn the chess board?

Dr. Watson, we should set up a chess tournament once we get a number of players who are interested in a few matches. Possibly a round-robin of games, followed by a series of playoffs. :thumbsup:
Shad Lexer
Ignorance of the law is no excuse

Post by Shad Lexer »

There is a online multiplayer chess place where you can set up rooms and games...I think I might be able to find it..
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

I'd be interested... I have been an avid chess player at various stages throughout my life. Not so much anymore, but I still have a love for the game.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Captain Jack wrote:There is a online multiplayer chess place where you can set up rooms and games...I think I might be able to find it..
I mentioned MSN Gaming Zone... which offers pretty good services.
David O
I'm memorable

Post by David O »

The MSN gaming zone works pretty well. I'll play anyone there most anytime.
(The only drawback is that you can't use Firefox. :( )
Me
An original

Post by Me »

*shudders* No Firefox!?

I love chess. I'm not that good, but I got my first royal pin, or whatever it's called, a couple of weeks ago. That was a great game. I'd love to participate in some sort of online tournament.