Chess!

The world's best game!

If there's something on your mind that just doesn't seem to fall into any of the other categories, well, it quite likely belongs inside Joe Finneman's marketplace. Think of it as a general store for general discussions!
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Chandler wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:one of those hexagon and little cardboard pieces games. *shudder*
Which game is that? :-s
They're war games - it's a big map of the terrain, which is divided into hexagons. Your pieces are these little cardboard squares representing your armies or guns, etc. And you have to make all these maneuvers, and it's really not at all fun. :) Doc has several, Stonewall Jackson's Way, On to Richmond, D-Day, and others. You have to know what armies are good and know battle strategy - not my thing. :sick:
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Heh. You mean like Axis and Allies?
Jessicado
Love to love

Post by Jessicado »

If I was playing a chess game where each person could take a half hour, I would go nuts!!!! That's why I said I like to pretend to play--I can actually play, but I don't put THAT much thought into it.....I just play for the fun of it. I have never played online though.

The other night I went over to a co-workers house, and it was all pimped out and in the center of his living room was this glass chess set set on his glass coffee table. I was impressed until I found out he couldn't even play. I mean--he didn't even know how to set up the chess pieces or how to move any of them AT ALL. He just had it there to impress the ladies and make them think he was intellectual I guess. :roll:
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Wow, that's just sad. He should learn.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Chandler wrote:
Laura Ingalls wrote:one of those hexagon and little cardboard pieces games. *shudder*
Which game is that? :-s
They're war games - it's a big map of the terrain, which is divided into hexagons. Your pieces are these little cardboard squares representing your armies or guns, etc. And you have to make all these maneuvers, and it's really not at all fun. :) Doc has several, Stonewall Jackson's Way, On to Richmond, D-Day, and others. You have to know what armies are good and know battle strategy - not my thing. :sick:
Like this:

and this:

And I have to play solitaire all the time! :( :mecry:
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

jessicado wrote:The other night I went over to a co-workers house, and it was all pimped out and in the center of his living room was this glass chess set set on his glass coffee table. I was impressed until I found out he couldn't even play. I mean--he didn't even know how to set up the chess pieces or how to move any of them AT ALL. He just had it there to impress the ladies and make them think he was intellectual I guess. :roll:
I've seen glass chess sets at peoples' houses before. It seems they're more for decoration really. :-k
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

Trent DeWhite wrote:
jessicado wrote:The other night I went over to a co-workers house, and it was all pimped out and in the center of his living room was this glass chess set set on his glass coffee table. I was impressed until I found out he couldn't even play. I mean--he didn't even know how to set up the chess pieces or how to move any of them AT ALL. He just had it there to impress the ladies and make them think he was intellectual I guess. :roll:
I've seen glass chess sets at peoples' houses before. It seems they're more for decoration really. :-k
:shock: Some people!
I'm looking for someone better than me to play against, since that's a good way to improve.
And each light that we've extinguished has brought darkness to our Land...
Upon our Nation have mercy Lord!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Alleycat wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:
:shock: Some people!
I'm looking for someone better than me to play against, since that's a good way to improve.
Aye, it is, Alleycat. Have you tried playing on the MSN gaming zone? They have a chess section where you can play chess against other people for free. You can run into some wierdos though. :anxious:

Alternatively, you can watch theGrandmaster thread, since I'll be posting the finished games on there. If you examine them closely, you might learn something. :)

Cheerio
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

I've scanned so many finished games I'm dizzy! :-k
Country Girl
Classic

Post by Country Girl »

hehe :)
well, it's great to know I'm not the only girl around here who enjoys chess :)

I will however say that I'm not very good at it. I've been playing for a few years, probably 6-8 years now. I do know how to do chess notation.....

I might have to join in on the tourney :)
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Country Girl wrote:I might have to join in on the tourney :)
Great, if the first tourney turns out well (which so far it is going wonderfully) I shall be recruiting more players. :)
Alleycat
insert dash here

Post by Alleycat »

When and where is the tourney? :-s
Me
An original

Post by Me »

Over in Odyssey 105. Come check it out.
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Alleycat wrote:When and where is the tourney? :-s
Alternatively, you can click on my siggy to link right to it.

I have posted both Round 1 games for avid chess fans to study. So far, only one of Round 2's games have been completed.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

...and the other game is still in progress.

David O and I have completed 28 moves each. :)
Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Trent DeWhite wrote:...and the other game is still in progress.

Great--this tournament is trucking along quite nicely.
Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Dr. Watson wrote:
Trent DeWhite wrote:...and the other game is still in progress.

Great--this tournament is trucking along quite nicely.
But that'll quickly come to an end when I leave for vacation on June 30. #-o