Lights Out! Camera, Action!

some of my AIO ramblings, plus my latest Odyssey acquisition!

Whit's wiping down the counter, Connie's mopping the floor, and the kids are sipping on their milkshakes. If you want to talk about Adventures in Odyssey the radio drama, this is the spot to do just that!
LizzieG
I've been working out

Lights Out! Camera, Action!

Post by LizzieG »

Greetings, ToO'ers! :D

My original reason for starting this topic was to talk about my new rare Odyssey tape, but now I have another reason, so this thread isn't entirely purposeless ;)

First, though.... Exhibit A!

I found this cassette of Lights Out at Whit's End on ebay, though unfortunately it came with 42 other cassettes I already had, so it wasn't the cheapest deal. And I now understand why the writers don't like this episode. It isn't the strongest show, certainly, but I'm still very glad to have heard it, and to have it. For any of you writers out there reading this, please know that, no matter how poor you think the remaining episodes are, eager fans like me will rejoice if and when they are released... and our favor of Adventures in Odyssey will in no way decrease! Maybe you could call the album... The Shunned Episodes!

Or not. But hey, I can dream as I stalk ebay for more treasures :-

~*~

And now, on to the second reason for this thread. A couple months ago, Taq announced that she was rating all AIO episodes, and challenged the rest of us to do the same. Well, I have started to do just that (I'm around episode 50), and I have made a number of fun realizations/observations. I was going to post them in this thread, but then I thought, hey, maybe other people have observations or connections they'd like to share too! And since I was starting a new topic anyway, I thought I'd put 'em both together.

So, here they are for your reading pleasure:

- Whit's Flop: I never knew what a backstop was until now. I had always envisioned a short, stop-sign-like object hovering above the ground! I finally googled it, and I'm now enlightened :D
- Chad Reisser played a lot of smart-alecky characters in AIO's early years
- Gifts for Madge and Guy: I'll admit it, I never used to like this episode much, mostly because it was silly, and when I was little I often didn't get (or appreciate) most of the humor. Now, however, I like it a lot more. One line still baffles me, though: "Ethel was lying where the porch used to be." :-k
- The Day After Christmas: Whit's called a "regular Perry Como" - and now I know who that is!
- My Brother's Keeper: Whit had a sister?
- A Simple Addition: I, too, have a stuffed lamb named Lamby that plays Jesus Loves Me! :-$
- Honor Thy Parents: "don't wrestle with a pig; you just get dirty, and the pig likes it" - where else have I heard that before??
- The Case of the Secret Room: Hmmm, only $25,000? That just doesn't seem enough to entice Fenwick; at least, not in the 1980s!
- A Single Vote: So, I looked up this story, and it looks like the names of the characters were actually Henry Shoemaker and Edward Hannegan... though I could be misinformed, there's not a whole lot out there on the story.
- Peace on Earth: And finally, my favorite one: In the scene in Whit's End, where Connie gives Whit and Tom "Christmas hugs," she tells Eugene, "I'd hug you too, but I don't have time for your explanation of the process." Ironically enough, in "Love is in the Air," it's Connie who is explaining hugs to Eugene! :lol: *goes to add this one to the episode's trivia at the Soda Fountain*

Feel free to comment on anything I've said, or to share random AIO facts and connections of your own! \:D/
Laura Ingalls
Half Pint
Half Pint

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Honor Thy Parents: "don't wrestle with a pig; you just get dirty, and the pig likes it" - where else have I heard that before??
Jimmy tells that joke on his radio show on Tongue of Fire. Is that what you're thinking of? \:D/
The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish, but for all to come to repentance.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

Laura Ingalls wrote:
Honor Thy Parents: "don't wrestle with a pig; you just get dirty, and the pig likes it" - where else have I heard that before??
Jimmy tells that joke on his radio show on Tongue of Fire. Is that what you're thinking of? \:D/
Yes, that must be it. I knew it was on another episode... \:D/
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Nice observations, Lizzie! =D>

My favorite string of shows so far are the Applesauce episodes. Whit's firing and rehiring of Eugene and Connie were outstanding. Gotta love Whit's righteous anger. I loved how Connie got a taste of what Whit was feeling when she had to send Lucy home from camp, and how that tension between Connie and Lucy played out in later episodes. Of course, Richard made it all the more compelling with his manipulations of Nicky and Lucy and eventual tricking of Dr. Blackgaard (pw=destruct).

And I agree with Lizzie's commentary about Lights Out at Whit's End. :- I would be happy to hear it at least once and am sure it won't taint my AIO appreciation. I will purchase The Shunned Episodes when it comes out. ;)
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

LizzieG wrote:Greetings, ToO'ers! :D

My original reason for starting this topic was to talk about my new rare Odyssey tape, but now I have another reason, so this thread isn't entirely purposeless ;)

First, though.... Exhibit A!

I found this cassette of Lights Out at Whit's End on ebay, though unfortunately it came with 42 other cassettes I already had, so it wasn't the cheapest deal. And I now understand why the writers don't like this episode. It isn't the strongest show, certainly, but I'm still very glad to have heard it, and to have it. For any of you writers out there reading this, please know that, no matter how poor you think the remaining episodes are, eager fans like me will rejoice if and when they are released... and our favor of Adventures in Odyssey will in no way decrease! Maybe you could call the album... The Shunned Episodes!

Or not. But hey, I can dream as I stalk ebay for more treasures :-
Man, you're so lucky!!!
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Catspaw
Care Bear Admin
Care Bear Admin
Post by Catspaw »

That's so cool - good find, LizzieG! :D I would totally buy "The Shunned Episodes" album! :lol:

I love your observations, too - the Eugene/Connie hug one stood out to me. I hadn't noticed that before!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

An observation from A Prisoner for Christ-
Onesimus : Philemon :: Nicky : Eugene = brilliant!
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

Haha I've heard that episode before.. \:D/ Don't you just love their rap? \:D/
...I hate marquees.
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

I only heard the short clip from the Official Podcast, and it was clever from what I heard. \:D/
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

If I can get my Cassette-to-CD Converter working again, I'll try to get the episode up online...somewhere.
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

I have it, but i wouldn't know where to put it up...
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
Reddo
Catspaw Rocks!

Post by Reddo »

Trent DeWhite
Former Mayor

Post by Trent DeWhite »

Check out our interview with Paul McCusker, author and director of Darien's Rise!
Taq
A great mapmaker

Post by Taq »

Thanks a bunch, Reddo!
Epic
Undercover
Undercover

Post by Epic »

What is My Brother's Keeper about? I've always wanted to hear that episode but never seen it anywhere
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

AWESOME!!! I just started listening, it's hilarious to hear Odyssey USA! Thanks soooooooo much for the link. :D

EDIT: WOW! I can't believe that rap is acually in it! I thought that was just a joke. I now see why they all say it's so terrible. That is a really funny episode! :lol:
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

YAY. I'm sooo excited. I'm starting to listen to the theme. =D> Thanks alot. \:D/
I do what I do.
LizzieG
I've been working out

Post by LizzieG »

epic123 wrote:What is My Brother's Keeper about? I've always wanted to hear that episode but never seen it anywhere
It's in the Lost Episodes album. Basically, it's about a boy who is frustrated by the antics of his younger brother and wishes he would go away. Then, it "comes true" when the younger brother goes missing.
jasonjannajerryjohn
I revere the admins
I revere the admins

Post by jasonjannajerryjohn »

Thank you, you amazing person you! LOL, this is great to hear this episode. Odyssey USA!
Peri: Do you mean the TARDIS is malfunctioning again?
The Doctor: Malfunctioning? [pause] Malfunctioning? MALFUNCTIONING!?
BrokenButBeautiful
Certified Theatre Geek
Certified Theatre Geek

Post by BrokenButBeautiful »

LizzieG wrote: - Gifts for Madge and Guy: I'll admit it, I never used to like this episode much, mostly because it was silly, and when I was little I often didn't get (or appreciate) most of the humor. Now, however, I like it a lot more. One line still baffles me, though: "Ethel was lying where the porch used to be." :-k
How can you not understand that? It's simple. They sold the porch and she probably forgot, so when she tried to go inside, she fell on the ground where the porch used to be. lol.