Grand Theft Auto IV

This is a place where gamers can come and tell of their favorite games, discuss current games, head up gaming contests, and join in on online games that others are playing. It's a place run by gamers and enjoyed by all types of gamers alike.
xiao
Set blasters to rapid-fire

Grand Theft Auto IV

Post by xiao »

Alright, someone had to make this topic, so here we go.

What are your thoughts on Grand Theft Auto IV?
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

Post by Donna Blackbeard »

i think that it is a bad thing to be posting on an aio site. if i am correct it is a mature game and we have little kids here. =;

sorry but it is true.mature subject matter.
____
sorryif i offended anybody but...i am the oldest of 6 almost 7 kids and am very protective...

and this has quite a few christians here that their parents would not be happy.

double post combined. please use edit instead -thx, darcie
Jennie
insert dash here

Post by Jennie »

I agree.
xiao

Post by xiao »

It's a shame that neither of you realizes that as Christians it is our responsibility to face issues which may or may not threaten our morals head-on rather than simply pretending they aren't there - that's called being ignorant and sheltered. There is nothing in Grand Theft Auto IV that isn't in the Bible, and we should discuss it for better or worse.

So once again, I am asking for your opinions on this controversial, stunningly successful game - should it be banned? Is it harmless? Is it only as bad as you make it? Is it a public scapegoat for bad parenting? Is it the antichrist as a videogame?
King Butter Turtle
Expecting a battle

Post by King Butter Turtle »

I don't know much about it, but from what I've heard, it is definetly ungodly, not wholesome and should not be played by anyone, much less christians. (Whenever I spell christian, I always have to sing "I am a C" in my head. haha :lol:
Lisa Hammit - 1991-2011 - Forever strong in Christ
Skid
Still standing tall

Post by Skid »

Shouldn't this thread be in either CCDS or the Gaming Den?

I haven't played it, and it's not in an area of gaming that I'm interested in, so I don't have any real opinion yet. But for the list of questions:

should it be banned?
- No, there's no legal basis for doing so, and though I wouldn't play it, I guess some other people can without going evil.

Is it harmless?
- Not completely, though it depends on if a person has some real guidance or personal responsibility in their life. If you're going to let video games do the parenting of your kids, this isn't a good one.

Is it only as bad as you make it?
- Yes, but I doubt it's ever really good either.

Is it a public scapegoat for bad parenting? - Yes, though there is some accuracy in that bad parents are more likely to let their kids play games like this long before those kids are up to the maturity level recommended.

Is it the antichrist as a videogame?
- That'd be kind of cool, but no.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

I never was REALLY into the series (the very first one, with the top down view and all, was the one I played the most and ended up beating, actually), but I think they are fun and entertaining, etc. Obviously they are not for kids. The rating on the game clearly states that. It's unfortunate that parents are dumb enough to buy the game for kids who are too young and immature, etc, but I think the GTA series and video games in general become too much of a scapegoat for bad parenting.

And yes the game is indeed the antichrist. \:D/
Jennie
insert dash here

Post by Jennie »

It may be the antichrist. We have no proof though.
Kairi

Post by Kairi »

Well, actually, I don't think an inanimate object (a video game) could be the antichrist. I could be wrong though. ;)

I've never played GTA and never really cared about it. I don't like seeing little kids getting excited about it and playing it (though their commentary is always slightly...er, amusing...).
*CAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

im sorry if i caused a riot...i m just thinking of all those parents who thing their kids are under no bad influance here.a-hem this was on the front page? :shame: ...it just....never mind...i'm sorry.i just know i know the reviews.if u want to play it, go ahead, just don't...push the fact that nothing is wrong with it.

WOW,i'm gonna be popular here. :anxious:
Forte
OK

Post by Forte »

I apologize in advance for the long post, but I started typing and just... couldn't stop. Or make a coherent point. :P

I've had the opportunity to witness a two-hour-long play session at my Uncle's house of Grand Theft Auto 4, recently. My cousin wasn't really going through the story mode or anything, he was just playing around with the cheat codes on, so I didn't get to see how the story played into anything. But, from what I watched, I really don't think a game like this needs to be played by anyone.

Let me just say that, while I never really enjoyed them, I did play around with the first two games enough times on the PS1, and a little bit of GTA3 when that was new. Not seriously, I just drove around and did random stuff, but I at least have an idea as to what the series is about. I also watched varying amounts of gameplay at different times of pretty much the rest of the newer games, so I also know what you get to do. Therefore, don't think that I'm ignorant, because I've seen enough of the product to, at the very least, have a vague idea of what I'm looking at.

I just don't see how games like this are productive or healthy in any way. Now, I really don't believe that kids are going to go out and shoot at civilians and police officers or steal cars and whatnot; I just don't see the evidence for that. But this game certainly is not helping that, right? The plain fact is that there are just so many sinful activities going on in this game that I can't see any redeeming qualities that will justify playing it.

Let me use some examples of my own gaming life. I'd like to play Devil May Cry 4 because of the interesting story and the main character's voice actor. But, due to the amount of violence and extremely suggestive attire of a female character, I simply cannot play it (that's not even taking in account the occult elements and demon worship, which is also in the Shin Megami Tensei series, which I also decided that I can't play in good conscience). Same goes for Resident Evil 4. I like what I hear about the story and the characters sound neat, but I can't get over the fact that there's copious amounts of blood when you murder people (or when you die, yourself).

In that sense, I just can't get over the fact that GTA4 almost requires murder, law-breaking and adultery. Now, I say "almost" because I've heard that you can potentially go through the game without partaking in these activities, and I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I know otherwise, but the pure and simple fact is that it was designed to do the above actions, and that disturbs me. It's essentially simulating the cold-blooded murder/rape/dehumanization of human beings who are created in the image of God, and that just doesn't sit well with me, if you haven't realized it by now. There's also the blatant disreguard for authority, as you can quite easily shoot a digital police officer in the face with a shotgun and be able to get away without many problems, not to mention the speed chases down the highway, using a helicopter to crash into buildings, regaining health through "illicit means", etc., etc., etc...

Do I think it should be banned? No, I'm not going to start screaming at retailers to pull the games from the shelf. But the game ratings are there for a reason, and I do think the stores should be more strict on who they sell it to. Like, fully disclosing what exactly is in the game to the mostly ignorant parents who are buying it for little 9-year-old Johnny standing next to them. And the parents need to take more responsibility and be far more strict as to what games their children play, and actually monitor their purchases and definitely sit down and watch their kid play. In my opinion, nobody under 18 should even watch this game, much less actually play it (I don't think anybody should play it, but it's not my decision to make).

Also, if the content is bad and the kid knew the entire time, parents should break the game in front of them and spank their deceitful little brats. :P

As to why this game is successful, I have no clue, other than the fact that we are naturally depraved individuals and the unregenerate will flock to anything not God-honoring. But that's just my humble opinion.

And as we all know, it's the 2 trillion Starbucks stores around the world that is the AntiChrist. xD
|My LiveJournal|My Facebook (Add me, please! I need a reason to use it! :P|

I like changing my avatar a lot, so expect a new one every now and then.
Jennie
insert dash here

Post by Jennie »

Forte wrote:I apologize in advance for the long post, but I started typing and just... couldn't stop. Or make a coherent point. :P

I've had the opportunity to witness a two-hour-long play session at my Uncle's house of Grand Theft Auto 4, recently. My cousin wasn't really going through the story mode or anything, he was just playing around with the cheat codes on, so I didn't get to see how the story played into anything. But, from what I watched, I really don't think a game like this needs to be played by anyone.

Let me just say that, while I never really enjoyed them, I did play around with the first two games enough times on the PS1, and a little bit of GTA3 when that was new. Not seriously, I just drove around and did random stuff, but I at least have an idea as to what the series is about. I also watched varying amounts of gameplay at different times of pretty much the rest of the newer games, so I also know what you get to do. Therefore, don't think that I'm ignorant, because I've seen enough of the product to, at the very least, have a vague idea of what I'm looking at.

I just don't see how games like this are productive or healthy in any way. Now, I really don't believe that kids are going to go out and shoot at civilians and police officers or steal cars and whatnot; I just don't see the evidence for that. But this game certainly is not helping that, right? The plain fact is that there are just so many sinful activities going on in this game that I can't see any redeeming qualities that will justify playing it.

Let me use some examples of my own gaming life. I'd like to play Devil May Cry 4 because of the interesting story and the main character's voice actor. But, due to the amount of violence and extremely suggestive attire of a female character, I simply cannot play it (that's not even taking in account the occult elements and demon worship, which is also in the Shin Megami Tensei series, which I also decided that I can't play in good conscience). Same goes for Resident Evil 4. I like what I hear about the story and the characters sound neat, but I can't get over the fact that there's copious amounts of blood when you murder people (or when you die, yourself).

In that sense, I just can't get over the fact that GTA4 almost requires murder, law-breaking and adultery. Now, I say "almost" because I've heard that you can potentially go through the game without partaking in these activities, and I'll give it the benefit of the doubt until I know otherwise, but the pure and simple fact is that it was designed to do the above actions, and that disturbs me. It's essentially simulating the cold-blooded murder/rape/dehumanization of human beings who are created in the image of God, and that just doesn't sit well with me, if you haven't realized it by now. There's also the blatant disreguard for authority, as you can quite easily shoot a digital police officer in the face with a shotgun and be able to get away without many problems, not to mention the speed chases down the highway, using a helicopter to crash into buildings, regaining health through "illicit means", etc., etc., etc...

Do I think it should be banned? No, I'm not going to start screaming at retailers to pull the games from the shelf. But the game ratings are there for a reason, and I do think the stores should be more strict on who they sell it to. Like, fully disclosing what exactly is in the game to the mostly ignorant parents who are buying it for little 9-year-old Johnny standing next to them. And the parents need to take more responsibility and be far more strict as to what games their children play, and actually monitor their purchases and definitely sit down and watch their kid play. In my opinion, nobody under 18 should even watch this game, much less actually play it (I don't think anybody should play it, but it's not my decision to make).

Also, if the content is bad and the kid knew the entire time, parents should break the game in front of them and spank their deceitful little brats. :P

As to why this game is successful, I have no clue, other than the fact that we are naturally depraved individuals and the unregenerate will flock to anything not God-honoring. But that's just my humble opinion.

And as we all know, it's the 2 trillion Starbucks stores around the world that is the AntiChrist. xD

I give a hearty amen to that!
Dr. Watson
Be positive!

Post by Dr. Watson »

Good post, Forte. :)
GlennAdams
Expecting a battle

Post by GlennAdams »

What Forte says sounds good.
I do what I do.
Donna Blackbeard
Wasting money here
Wasting money here

yup this is exactly what i ment when every body went at me for......standing up?
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

Video games are from the pit of hell.
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait
J-man
I like Cookies
I like Cookies

Post by J-man »

..Right, whatever. :-s

Eh, I don't know enough about GTA to have an opinion, but from what I've seen and heard about it, it's probably not something I'll be playing. I agree, it legally can't be banned, but neither should it be played by younger kids.. There's a reason it's rated "Mature". :noway:
...I hate marquees.
Baragon
Party Pooper

Post by Baragon »

Jellyfish11 wrote:Video games are from the pit of hell.
Yes, and so are computers.

Honestly, I don't know much about it, but my major opinion is, young kids, and immature adults shouldn't be playing it. It has a rating (along with many other video games) for a reason. Parents shouldn't be moronic and buy such violent\stupid games for their kids knowingly\unknowingly. 'Course, I tend to think if parents were actually more active in their kids' lives, kids would turn out a lot different. But that's another topic and another day.

I don't believe video games are evil. I just think it has to be moderated and watched - along with many other things in life. If a parent lets their 15 year kid get online, they need to moniter their online activities as much as they moniter a video game...
Dr. Watson wrote:The main reason for the Civil War was so that rednecks can drive around with Confederate flags in their pickup trucks.
The Top Crusader
Hammer Bro
Hammer Bro
Location: A drawbridge over a lava pit with an axe conveniently off to the side

Post by The Top Crusader »

The ToO is from the pits of hell. :(

I will recount a lovely tale to you all... one Christmas season I worked at GameStop as seasonal help to make a little extra money to gamble away in Vegas, and anyway, one time this father and little girl, like no older than 8 or something, game in, and she wanted to get GTA:Liberty City Stories for the dumb PSP thing. Anyway, they brought it up to me to pay for it and I kind of looked at it and looked up and the father and said, "You do know this is rated "Mature" and has some pretty bad content in it?" and he just shrugged and said "That's okay" or something. So I sold it to them! \:D/
jelly
A Truly Great Noob
A Truly Great Noob

Post by jelly »

The Top Crusader wrote:The ToO is from the pits of hell. :(

I will recount a lovely tale to you all... one Christmas season I worked at GameStop as seasonal help to make a little extra money to gamble away in Vegas, and anyway, one time this father and little girl, like no older than 8 or something, game in, and she wanted to get GTA:Liberty City Stories for the dumb PSP thing. Anyway, they brought it up to me to pay for it and I kind of looked at it and looked up and the father and said, "You do know this is rated "Mature" and has some pretty bad content in it?" and he just shrugged and said "That's okay" or something. So I sold it to them! \:D/
And just when you could have stood up for what is right...
Fallacy of false continuum. // bookworm
Any cupcake can be made holy through being baptized in the name of the Butter, the Vanilla and the Powdered Sugar. // Kait